Ahhhh my first tractor had it for a day - welsh plug leak ?

dr_evilbean

Equipment
Grey import L1500DT 4in1 bucket and a carryall
Jun 15, 2010
Gippsland, Victoria, Australia
Ahhhh my first tractor had it for a day - welsch plug leak ?

Gday all,

Ive read heaps of threads and topics here and really appreciate all the info you guys share.

Well I bought my first tractor got it home last night, had to wait till this arvo to get on it and well it looks like it has a welsch plug leaking

L1500DT bought it second hand, the old guy I bought it from told me he just filled the radiator and it was venting a bit !

I cant quite see it but its on the left hand side behind the starter motor and its a nice stream of water coming out.

I have ordered manuals but they havent arrived yet, can anyone confirm if its a welsch plug and suggest what to do about it ?

Last edited:

dr_evilbean

Equipment
Jun 15, 2010
Ok, a welsch plug is a round plug in the side of the engine block, usually steel in older motors - always replace with brass, it plugs the whole left when the block is cast. I think there is one welsch plug per cylinder and usually one or two on the gearbox end of the motor.

Steel ones eventually rust out, in cars its very expensive because the engine has to come out to get at them.

dr_evilbean

Equipment
Jun 15, 2010
So I have the starter motor off and its definantly a welsch plug - could someone with a parts manual please find a part number for me.

I have a service manual and ops manual on the way (CD off ebay) but no parts manual.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ipz - I am thinking a welsch plug is what we would call a frost plug. Sorry I can't be any help doc but don't worry someone will be along with the info you need. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
And here we speak Canajun, Eh?

At first I thought it had something to do with that part of Old Blighty.

Only by a minute, it seems.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Oh Lordy Canucks and Auzzies,,,,, I can see this is going to be a learning experience for us all,,, if youz guys would only talk like Americans so's we could like understand ya's,, Oh wait,, never mind we can't understand our selves half the time either,,, Oh well carry on:D Fair dinkum Mate

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
Here is some info that may help smooth out the um........language barrier. A freeze plug, frost plug, freeze out plug is usually shaped like a small ashtray.....it has a lip around the dish. Usually the dish is concave; that is that the dish faces in toward the block. The lip of the "ashtray" forms a sealing surface to the block to keep the coolant in.

A welsh plug is a metal disc that has a concave shape. It is installed opposite a freeze plug; that is the "convex" faces out. The center of the plug should be the farthest from the block. Once the plug is installed a small drift and hammer is used to tap the center of the plug forcing the welch plug to get bigger in the hole and wedge it's self in the hole.

Both of these plugs do the same basic task. Welch plugs are used a lot in pumps and carburators. They can be "tightned up" once in the hole where a freeze plug is a machined fit. What you got is what you got.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
JWB

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
These plugs are so universal here that we can usually measure the opening and buy one locally.

E/S

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
If you put a freeze plug in freezer it will shrink it enough to go in hole as it gets warmer it will seal itself(expand). Any way that is a trick ive been doing the past 45 years worked for me. handy

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
Jwb I nearly forgot about that one. remember the first I tried got out of freezer and waited to long to put them in. The 2nd time I knew exactly what I was going to do quick as I got them out freezer popped right in and sealed. Never did leak kept truck 4-5 years. handy

dr_evilbean

Equipment
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah thanks Vic, I have replaced the two on the side because they were relativley easy :eek:- Brass AUS$5 each from Repco, Had to drop out the starter motor cos the plugs were hiding behind it and the bloody FEL was in the way trying to bang in the new plugs but I got them in eventually.

I used some Loctite gasket silicone to make sure they dont leak.

the one on the back of the engine will be a bit more of a challenge, I know I should do it now but ..... I'd rather be playing with the big pile of dirt than pulling out the dash and fuel tank.

I did flush the cooling system put in nice green coolant, not much mud come out so It dont think there's much corosion - well I keep telling myself that anyway !

Last edited: