Adding turbo to Z482

Dirtfrmr57

Nov 23, 2013
WA State
Hello. Newbie here. I have a Kubota 2 cylinder diesel that is rated at 12.5hp. I would like to squeeze out a little more hp by adding a turbo. Is that written up somewhere? Or is there a commercial kit available? My goal would be to use it as an alternative motor in a UTV originally designed to use a Yanmar 3 cylinder rated at 18.5 hp. I do not know how to match turbo specs to motor size. Nor do I know how much power increase to expect. Thanks. Kirt

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kirt,
From what I've read you will only get a small percentage of a gain out of adding a turbo, you will never get enough out of the 2 cylinder to get anywhere close to the 18.5 that you would get out of a 3 cylinder engine.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you want more power sell the tractor and buy a bigger one. These diesels are not hot rods that you can modify to get more power out of. Yeah one memeber on here did it with a turbo off a Saab car I think it was. Looked like more of a pain in the ass headache then it was really worth for what little power and a whole bunch of extra noise he did gain.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
Hello. Newbie here. I have a Kubota 2 cylinder diesel that is rated at 12.5hp. I would like to squeeze out a little more hp by adding a turbo. Is that written up somewhere? Or is there a commercial kit available? My goal would be to use it as an alternative motor in a UTV originally designed to use a Yanmar 3 cylinder rated at 18.5 hp. I do not know how to match turbo specs to motor size. Nor do I know how much power increase to expect. Thanks. Kirt
I'll suggest that u will get 10% without doing anything other than adding the turbo. If you want to do a little more tweaking, you can crank up the fuel delivery. And. Maybe gain a total of 15%
If you are optimistic, like me, you could end up with approx 14.5-15 hp.
I'd be happy with 14-15 hp in a gator type vehicle. Especially with a diesel.
Iam older and don't race the neighbor for braging rights,.its not as important as fuel economy and reliability, I'll take the kubota over any other engine, gas or diesel.. It's a tyme proven fact.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I just cant forsee a turbo boosting the engine power enough to change the torque and traction you need to move the tractor any better.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
I just cant forsee a turbo boosting the engine power enough to change the torque and traction you need to move the tractor any better.
I guess that would depend on conditions, personally, if it's real slippery like snow or ice, I'll try to hook up, and lug the engine, It gives me better results, But If Iam going threw a mud hole,.. gimme that turbo!:cool:

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I find it odd that most are saying turbos won't add much power. There are many applications where they approach doubling the horsepower or more. That said, everything else has to match the turbo, IE, fuel delivery, intake capacity, exhaust capacity, not to mention beefier rods and such to stand up to the new demand.

An ill fitted, poorly designed system will yield poor results, no matter what system we're talking about. IF you want to assume such in an application, then no, it's not worth it. It does require a lot of R&D to make any add-on work properly. One offs in the home garage usually don't have sufficient R&D behind them.

So, in summary, I guess I agree the turbo won't help much, but it's not the fault of the turbo.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
I find it odd that most are saying turbos won't add much power. There are many applications where they approach doubling the horsepower or more. That said, everything else has to match the turbo, IE, fuel delivery, intake capacity, exhaust capacity, not to mention beefier rods and such to stand up to the new demand.

An ill fitted, poorly designed system will yield poor results, no matter what system we're talking about. IF you want to assume such in an application, then no, it's not worth it. It does require a lot of R&D to make any add-on work properly. One offs in the home garage usually don't have sufficient R&D behind them.

So, in summary, I guess I agree the turbo won't help much, but it's not the fault of the turbo.

Tdrc,
Iam a optimistic kinda sportster,
If I can bolt on a turbo and gain 15+ percent Iam goin for it, cuz, that makes me 15 plus percent faster than u,...So,..I Win...

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
Tdrc,
If I can bolt on a turbo and gain 15+ percent Iam goin for it, cuz, that makes me 15 plus percent faster than u,...So,..I Win...
I waz and still in a humble mood with my last post,..Iam hoping that I even have a pulling tractor capable of competing next spring. But I hope that all the pullers are ready for the spring pull in Leslie Michigan..it's a great groupe of tractor pullers,..from stock wheel horses,.. To full blown VW mods...mark your calendars...

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Tdrc,
The only stock engine I have in the barn is the Kubota, that's only because I just bought it. Once the warranty expires, as I'm not going to risk anything on a new tractor, the game is on. So enjoy your "win", it might be very short lived. :p

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
The only stock engine I have in the barn is the Kubota, that's only because I just bought it. Once the warranty expires, as I'm not going to risk anything on a new tractor, the game is on. So enjoy your "win", it might be very short lived. :p
Nothing makes me better then u,..untill u challenge me,. So,.Bring it .i expect to whip your a$$ now and again later, from the stock 800# class all the way threw the 1300# pound class, your a$$ whipping starts this spring at the Leslie tractor pulling track. Don't Be Late,.. Kubotakid

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Nothing makes me better then u,..untill u challenge me,. So,.Bring it .i expect to whip your a$$ now and again later, from the stock 800# class all the way threw the 1300# pound class, your a$$ whipping starts this spring at the Leslie tractor pulling track. Don't Be Late,.. Kubotakid
With such friendly and welcoming talk, good bye.

kubota kid

Oct 30, 2009
michigan
With such friendly and welcoming talk, good bye.
Oops,
Sorry, bout the rodeo language...Iam here to welcome u to the track,..in fact I'll soon have a mobile shop trailer at the track, and will welcome all,..with shop needs,..air, welder, ac power, water, the basic stuff to help you make your track time, and or,.fix your rig.. Iam very competive, but want to help others who are competitors as well.. This is thee most family orentied sport in America.
I hope I can help you someday. God bless you and your house,.

Eric