Adding Power Steering B7100 HST-D

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Anyone added power steering to a B7100 HST yet....
I need some input in keeping cost low. I seen here on the "forum" aftermarket add on's but the link to the Hydraulic cylinder company is no longer available.
What I'd like to do is change the steering box to keep it simple...
Any Ideas???

Thanks Guys:confused:

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I built the power steering on my 7100 by installing a danfoss steering valve, a surplus center ram and a power steering pump from a nissan maxima. The advantage to the auto pump instead of the tractor hydraulics is the auto pump has a built in pressure relief valve and a flow valve so the steering is the same from idle to full throttle. It takes time to make the column, power steering pump mount and the ram mounts. One finger steering even with a full bucket is amazing compared to the original armstrong unit.

Attachments

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Very nice install, looks like factory equipment! I bet if you built a few kits and sold them you wouldn't have any problems selling them. I know I would be interested in one for a 7100D.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Really looks Great! Very Nice!

Just a couple questions...
What size fan belt was needed to operate the pump, and does the pump have its own reservoir?

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
The pump is run off of a 3L35 fractional horse power belt. The FHP belt was needed because the tension idler is putting pressure on the flat of the belt. The system uses it's own hydraulic system with a reservoir and cooler in front of the radiator. I am running Dextron III in the system.

Attachments

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
The pump is run off of a 3L35 fractional horse power belt. The FHP belt was needed because the tension idler is putting pressure on the flat of the belt. The system uses it's own hydraulic system with a reservoir and cooler in front of the radiator. I am running Dextron III in the system.
Thanks for the info!

bmwmike

Equipment
B7100, 1640A loader, tiller, box blade, grader blade, carry all. John deere 455,
Jan 13, 2013
clarksville, Tn.
I added power steering to my B7100, using a control valve from a John Deere 400 from Ebay and a 10" hydraulic cylinder . I have a race car pump that I was going to use but I could not make myself cut a hole in the side panel and hood for the belt, so I am running it off the tractor hydraulics. It works very well. The whole system cost about $350.00. I had to make the bracket where the cylinder attaches to the tractor, the rest of it is just bolts on.

mike

Picture 064.jpg

Picture 065.jpg

Picture 066.jpg

Picture 080.jpg