Adding a Grapple, 3rd function, and converting to Quick Attach

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Good evening everyone! I have some questions I'm hoping you fine folks can help me out with....

Long story short.....No snow this year but we have had some brutal wind which has toppled about 5 old pines 60'+ tall. An area I had all cleaned up last year now looks like downtown Baghdad.

Anywho.... I'm pricing out what it will cost me to put a grapple on the B2910.

I've been looking at a few models everything attachments has, they seem pretty heavy duty with a lot of thought into their engineering. Prices aren't too shabby either. I'm thinking the 54" would be perfect, price is $2k
http://www.everythingattachments.com/wicked-root-grapple-by-everything-attachments-p/eta-wrg-cmp.htm
Any other good sources let me know.

Now I need to convert the FEL into a universal quick attach and need some help here. Looking for the best cost effective way to do this, I'm assuming I don't need the John Deere style? As far as the current pin on bucket, I would have to cut the current mounts off and weld on a quick attach plate?
Anyone with a good place to source these parts please let me know.

3rd function... Best place to source this accessory? Everything A has one under $1000, I don't know if that's a good deal or not. Is the wiring end of the install pretty straight forward?

I'm going to check with a local dealer to see what they would charge for the whole package towards the end of the week. Anyone who has had the dealer install all of this what was the damage?

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
Here's a thread on converting a similar pin on bucket and making SSQA adapter, when I looked into it I felt the loader arm spacing was too close to the latches so chose to do pin on adapter but he made it work well.
3rd function kits can be sourced at several places but they are more than $600 from what I've seen, I'd say I had about $400 total in adding 3rd function valve like this surplus center valve to the curl circuit including the tools for flaireing and bending tubing.

It would be easier to have the dealer install it all but I'm sure that gets very expensive.
There are several threads on the subject to help guide you and many here are happy to answer questions.

Here's a earlier thread showing a few steps on how we did valves a few years ago. 3rd function valve

its a fun project and not as complicated as I first thought.

Good luck

Last edited:

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Thanks for the reply Burton. I'm basically looking for a complete kit for the 3rd function, I'm not looking to build it myself. I'll do some more searching on it to see what I can come up with. I could build it myself, but I do t want to have to bother with it. I'm perfectly fine with installing a kit as long as the electrical part of it is pretty straight forward.

As far as the quick attach goes, I gave it some thought and I'm really thinking a bolt on grapple is the way to go. It's much more cost effective and will do basically everything I'm looking for. The bucket is used more as Cary all, mostly sticks and yard debris, than dirt moving. Occasionally we move a little dirt so I'm curious if it effects that at all? It would have to come off for the winter time, so removal is a downside. At least it's something I can install, I'm not much of a welder :p.

As far as the bolt on's go, I'm guessing a single grapple would be sufficient for the 2910? I've searched and found WR Long is popular which a local dealer carries, any other good ones?

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I converted my LA504 loader (B3200) to SSQA using the Kubota SSQA adapter for the newer LA534 loader.

Landpride makes 3rd function kits for Kubota loaders, priced around $600.

Landpride also makes a pin on brush grapple for Kubota loaders. It is not rated for ground engagement, but if that is not needed may be worth a look.

I am working towards an Artillian grapple. http://www.artillian.com

I currently have the Artillian SSQA pallet fork frame and 42" forks. Next step is the third function, and then the grapple.

Brandonorr55

Equipment
L3800
Aug 18, 2013
Missouri
I recently did the exact same mod to my L3800. Once you get a grapple, you will wonder how you ever did without! I ordered a Kubota SSQA adapter from my local dealer, and then ordered the weld on plate from Amazon. As for the grapple, everything attachments.com grapple is an awesome piece of equipment! The third function kit from everything attachments.com is super easy to install, and comes with all couplings matched to their grapple. Total install time for everything is two hours or less. If you want any more info or pictures, shoot me an email at brandon_orr@yahoo.com. Good luck!

Brandonorr55

Equipment
L3800
Aug 18, 2013
Missouri
OldeEnglish,

I would look at everything attachments's single lid 50" grapple that is designed for the compact tractors. It is approx 100 lbs lighter, which can be significant in terms of adding capacity. It is extremely well built, and has taken some serious abuse. We wrapped a chain around the grapple to lift over 1500 pounds last week with no problem.

Attachments

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
Here is some more information on the Landpride.

The grapple is model SGC0660. It is designed for the B series mount, pin-on or Kubota's quick attach.

It is your lightest (250#) and likely least expensive option as it should connect directly to your loader without any extra parts.

I was quoted $2,250 for the grapple and the 3rd function kit.

Here is the link to Landprides page:http://www.landpride.com/products/680/sgc06-series-claw-grapples

I also attached the specs for you to look at.

Keep in mind, the grapple is not rated for ground engagement. Picking up and moving stuff is what it is for. If you want to dig out rocks and roots, you'll need to go with a grapple rated for that, like EA or Artillian which offer the best options for smaller tractors.

Last edited:

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I looked at Landpride, Artillian & Everything Attachements.

Each had their strong points, weight, cost, flexibility, etc.

My intention is to use the grapple for clearing, including stumps, so I ruled out the Landpride.

For flexibility and weight, I chose the Artillian system. Truthfully it is likely the most expensive option, but I'd rather spend a couple $ more and get what I want. I would encourage you to do the same - leave cost out of it until you know what your want/need, then evaluate the cost.

Since I only have 1,100# lift capacity - weight is a big issue. What ever you hang on the front comes right off of what you can lift.

To use the Artillian system, you will need to convert your loader to SSQA. That cost was about $500 from Kubota. The part number was 7J056-36103 for my LA504 loader. It weights in at 80#

The Artillian frame with the 2" receiver hitch is $600 and weights 100#

The Artillian grapple is $890 and weights 90#

The grapple beds (optional) are $290 each and weight 40#.

For just grapple work I will be at 270#. I can add the beds if I want to move lighter or bulkier stuff.

Here is a link to the Artillian grapple:
http://www.artillian.com/Grapple.htm

Good luck in your search and be sure to post some pictures!

Attachments

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I only have a BX, but I just did this last week, and the grapple is the best thing I have done for my tractor yet. Extremely useful tool.
What grapple and 3rd function kit did you use?

Do you have any pictures, especially of the third function kit? I am interested to see how cleanly the 3rd function installs.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Thanks guys for all the input, I'll look into everyone's suggestions. I can definitally see it being a very useful tool, we should have bought one a long time ago. To free up some cash to do the mods to the 2910 I'm thinking of selling my 7100 :eek: :(. I love that old tractor but the wife and I are thinking of selling off some property and downsizing. Taxes keep going up and the work load always seems to more and more every year :mad:.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
OldeEnglish here is a cheaper alternative. I bought a grapple that bolts onto your bucket from Greens-Machine called THE THUMB for $349. http://www.greens-machine.com/id47.html It works great and very economical, of course if you plan on a lot of use a real grapple might be better. I have used min to clean up a lot of brush and also to pick up small logs. As far as running it, I added a valve right next the loader valve on my fathers B7500 which has the same setup to run a power angle plow. I bought a valve and power beyond plug from Surplus Center. Here is the link.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...OOL-8-GPM-PRINCE-MB11B5C1-DA-VALVE-9-7861.axd
With the valve and fittings and hoses, I put it on for about $250. So for about $700-800 you could add a valve and get a basic grapple and not have to by a quick coupler.

millsan1

Equipment
BX25D, SGC05, 4' Box Blade, 6' rake, 6' blade, Titan BX42 Chipper
What grapple and 3rd function kit did you use?

Do you have any pictures, especially of the third function kit? I am interested to see how cleanly the 3rd function installs.
I went with the Land Pride kit. I do not have any pictures yet, but can get them. Install was pretty straightforward, with the only caveat being that finding the correct hydraulic circuit caused me some consternation. The install is clean enough. It doesn't look quite factory, but it doesn't look like a hack job either.

Paul Short's youtube video is a must watch before the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vF5JiGtxNY

A few things I do not like.

There is not a very clean way to run the electric. The instructions are not terribly clear on the connections, but it is pretty easy to figure out.

As Paul notes, there are no grease fittings. I do not have his shop, but I will tap two points and put grease nipples on there to get some lubrication in place.

The last point I have is that the hose keeper (whatever the correct term is) at the end of the loader arms makes no sense to me whatsoever. I use my grapple at the extremes of the range of motion and that keeper just gets int he way and scuffs up the hoses. I am going to remove it.

rtgt

Equipment
B3200
Jul 30, 2015
Kentucky
I went with the Land Pride kit. I do not have any pictures yet, but can get them. Install was pretty straightforward, with the only caveat being that finding the correct hydraulic circuit caused me some consternation. The install is clean enough. It doesn't look quite factory, but it doesn't look like a hack job either.

Paul Short's youtube video is a must watch before the install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vF5JiGtxNY

A few things I do not like.

There is not a very clean way to run the electric. The instructions are not terribly clear on the connections, but it is pretty easy to figure out.

As Paul notes, there are no grease fittings. I do not have his shop, but I will tap two points and put grease nipples on there to get some lubrication in place.

The last point I have is that the hose keeper (whatever the correct term is) at the end of the loader arms makes no sense to me whatsoever. I use my grapple at the extremes of the range of motion and that keeper just gets int he way and scuffs up the hoses. I am going to remove it.
Thank you for the review and the link to the YouTube video!

I was planning on using the Landpride 3rd function kit but had not run across anyone who had installed one.

Much appreciated.