A question of the hive collective

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Is there or has anyone ever seen used or built a lawn roller for the 3 point? I was mowing and pulled the roller behind, and the hitch broke, and the pipe rust away,,, so I have to figure out something else.
And I thought 3 point sure would make it easier on and off. Soooo any ideas ?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I remember right the 3 pt is like 1800 at the end of the arms and 1400 2 foot back, but I could be way out in left field on those numbers

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is a roller, so why would you want to pick it up other than to move it to where it is going to be used? I am going to convert the end of my pull-behind to a trailer hitch attachment so I can hook it up with ease.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A roller will usually only be useful to crush-down the vegetaion…. unless it is VERY Heavy.

I own a Ferguson 5-8B compactor-roller which weighs 14 ton empty and 16 tons if the rollers are filled with water. It will compact the soil to the point that wild hogs don’t like to ”root” around in it….but it does NOTHING for re-shaping the soil.

Do not expect a roller weighing less than that to do anything major to your lawn.…. is my experience.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I am not trying to compact the dirt as much as trying to get rid of some of the bumpyness. Moles and critters dig holes so I push the dirt back in and run over it with the roller when I mow. Does it help, yeah maybe I think, my hay field aint never gona be a putting green but not a mine field either :)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Here's a short story of my smoothing failure

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I am not trying to compact the dirt as much as trying to get rid of some of the bumpyness. Moles and critters dig holes so I push the dirt back in and run over it with the roller when I mow. Does it help, yeah maybe I think, my hay field aint never gona be a putting green but not a mine field either :)
The problem I find is…. To reshape the surface requires it to be moist and “plastic” …. but my compactor/roller has no traction under those conditions…so if too wet or too soon after a rain….it’ll simply get stuck and cannot be retrieved for a couple days. (I had a learning-curve on that situation.)

Anyway, it’s likely that if you wait until after a rain…when the surface has moisture in it…the roller may …and I really mean “May”…. flatten-out the bumps. …. but the problem will be that since you are towing the roller…your tractor tires will make more.

What tires do you have..?

Here’s a reminder of what I have that doesn’t work to remove “bumps” (hog damage) except after about Six Years…. it is somewhat better at keeping hogs OFF the area previously rolled because it “compacts” the turf…. doesn’t “reshape” it as much as expected. This thing weighs 13,000-16,000 lbs. depending upon whether the rollers are empty or filled with water. I’ve found it makes little difference except on gravel…where it will smooth things out until the next few vehicles or rain gets on it. For several days after a rain…. the rollers simply “spin” until they sink …and then the machine must sit there for several days …to be pulled out with a tractor while it’s rollers are operated simultaneously….resulting in a 5’ wide depression with sharp edges that now needs correction.
If I wait 3 or 4 days after a moderate rain…it will do fine for compaction.…Not reshaping tho’.
When I first sufferd hog damage to my turf runways… It was so bad my little 9N Ford couldn’t be used on it at all. Those hogs really did a number on it.
I first tried plowing/discing the runway to prep it for the roller…. but that did very little to help. Sold that disc-harrow/plow and waited for rain. Got it stuck really good…it sat in a mudhole for almost two weeks before it dried sufficiently that I could get it out with a tractor pulling while I tried to gently drive it out.
Since then….every 3 or 4 months…waiting several days after rain…I’ve rolled the runways….now going on 6 years….and it is gradually becoming better….but still not actually “smooth”…. Fine for light airplanes tho’.
BTW…. the soil here in central Tx is hard…. not “sandy loam”. This pic is typical of the turf found here.
IMG_20180510_130107053_HDR.jpeg

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I' made a lawn roller using a draw bar and ball mount tow hitch so I can tow with anything like a golf cart, utv, tractor.

I think you will be happier if your lawn roller can tilt side to side to follow ground contours - unless your lawn is perfectly flat.

You can still use your 3PH with a drawbar attachment.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I' made a lawn roller using a draw bar and ball mount tow hitch so I can tow with anything like a golf cart, utv, tractor.

I think you will be happier if your lawn roller can tilt side to side to follow ground contours - unless your lawn is perfectly flat.

You can still use your 3PH with a drawbar attachment.
Yeah skeets - - @mikester brings up a great point. I don't use a roller.

You can mow my lawn with my BX2360 and your kidneys will know.... ;)

I think a 3PH roller might be too "confining" to do a good job.

Reactions: 1 user