9540 ac compressor

JTmoo

Equipment
Kabotas 9540
Feb 29, 2024
Kentucky
I have to replace my ac compressor. Aftermarket is $600 and kabotas brand is $900. Thoughts?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Skipping over the diagnostics that indicate a new compressor.

If the system is opened, then the filter/dryer needs replacing. If the old compressor dumped junk in the system, all of that needs to be cleaned out with approved cleaners.

Dry nitrogen with nitrogen regulator to purge system while pulling vacuum stages.

Micron vacuum gauge. Vacuum pump with fresh oil. Gauge set for looking at pressures (cannot mix gauge hoses from another refrigerant); strap on thermometers for pressure/temperature readings.

In short, its not the same air conditioner that your dad could work on with a can of refrigerant.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have any "first hand" knowledge of the difference between those parts, however:

3 weeks ago I had to replace the right sliding door "latch mechanism" on my wifes van.....Well let me tell you what brother, that was the most %^&*ed up job I have done in a long time.

I was kneeling in the most uncomfortable position for 8 hours and my arms were all scraped and bruised. I used a "Amazon Special" mechanism instead of a factory part....and guess what?

I get to do it all over again because the damn thing failed after about 6 openings....AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Sometimes you get what you pay for. If its gonna be a difficult job, just get the "good part" (Kubota) and be done with it.

If it's an easy job, roll the bones and get the "El Cheapo" .

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Kubota doesn't manufacture their a/c compressors, so if you can find the original manufacturer and buy an identical replacement at a saving, it makes sense to go "aftermarket". You don't want to use an unknown air conditioning compressor since it is a difficult job to start with and if the inexpensive compressor fails you get to do it all over again.
Air conditioning repair is best left to the people who have both the tools and the knowledge to repair it properly the first time, and keep in mind that even if you know but not the tools getting those tools is going to be expensive for a one-time job. I have the tools and the knowledge, and I still don't do air conditioning work on my vehicles other than the antiques. Modern air conditioning units have far too many changes than I learned 50+ years ago. I don't understand why Kubota tractors have so many air conditioning compressor failures other than using an inferior product. It reminds me of the air conditioning compressor failures that Mercedes was using in the mid-1980s. Before that, they were using the GM A-6 compressor that was bulletproof.