800 hr, 1500hr service work. Valves and Injector pop test. L39

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Just purchased L39 with 1440 hr. Well serviced 1st 700 and untouch next 700.
Due for valve adjust and injector pressure/spray test. Dealership mechanic says few people come in for these services because of cost.

I'll be doing work myself. Are they both highly recommend services?? Machine runs and starts good with clean exaust

Any vendor that sells a good quality rebuilt injector so I can replace same day and send back cores.

Any tips for doing these jobs. I have diesel service experience never on Kubota though.

Thks in advance.

Last edited:

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
I didn't get any response to my post so I don't think anyone has done a valve adjust on an L39 so I just drove in and did it.

Adjusting them is easy, taking tank out is a little work if it's almost full. WSM only tells you how to do the adjust; same as any solid lifter or overhead cam engine.

Injectors are coming out in few weeks and going to metro diesel.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I didn't get any response to my post so I don't think anyone has done a valve adjust on an L39 so I just drove in and did it.

Adjusting them is easy, taking tank out is a little work if it's almost full. WSM only tells you how to do the adjust; same as any solid lifter or overhead cam engine.

Injectors are coming out in few weeks and going to metro diesel.
Did you find them out of spec? I have around 1200hrs on my machine and it appears the valve cover has never been off.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The reason no one does them is because it's unnecessary in almost all cases.

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Did you find them out of spec? I have around 1200hrs on my machine and it appears the valve cover has never been off.

Supposed to be.008". My intakes were right on, exhaust were on tight end of tolerance. - .006 - .007. Brought them to .008+. My tractor has 1400 hrs never touched
This tractor was a pain to get cover off. Adjustment is easy.

GeoHorn is right, probably doesn't need till well over 2000 hrs.
Aside from regular maintenance a standard tune up on a diesel is valve adjustment, adjust accelerator linkage and pressure and spray test injectors so valves and cable linkage are done. Pump timing is done usually once in the engines life at much higher hrs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Never touched either of my M's, both have over 2500 hours on them. No need to. Interestingly, I retired from the class 8 heavy truck business and very few owners and fleet owners we dealt with ever adjusted the overhead unless there was an issue that required it as a procedure and injectors, other than Cummins M11's, never.

Titan17

Equipment
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
Valve adj. probably waste of time. If I didn't have to pull the tank would have been 1/2 hr. job and $13. gasket.

People seem to love "maintenance by the book"; 5000 mile oil/filter changes on their car - come on. I go 10,000 and think it's overkill. How bout Mobil 1 vs Walmart syn. - another joke. Contact Blackstone labs and see how close they perform. But I drive my car till they're book value and personal value are nil and the dealer gives you no more whether you use spectrum or Royal Purple every 5 K.

A tractor seems to be different even though it's probably the most durable thing on Earth. Used buyers seem to love "maintenance by the book". The value is based a lot on condition. So when I sell it I want to be able to say it was maintained by the book without lieing.

Injector pressure and spray will make a difference if both are off but good fuel and a quality injector cleaner like Redline extends the service frequency. Engine sounds and smells different when they're at spec; no one can dispute that.

An injector that doesnt hold pressure will leak overnight and give a bit of a rough start. Doesn't really hurt anything but won't start as smooth and maybe a little more traditional diesel smell at the exhaust. A bad injector compares to a bad spark plug and or ign. wire.

Book says valves at 800, injectors at 1500 so I'm following it solely for resale. Plus I like to work on my tractors. I wish I was as good of an operator as I am a mechanic.