77 Kubota backhoe

mllkn6

Equipment
L245 DT, front loader, backhoe, bushog, planters, grain drill, fertilizer sprea
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
In 1977 I purchased a new Kubota L 245DT with front end loader and backhoe attachments, I got the manual with the tractor but got nothing with the loader or backhoe. My question is about the backhoe, I hope there is someone who has a manual or knowledge on the backhoe.
On the backhoe there is a gismo as I call it, I think it's some kind of pressure release valve or breather, but not sure what it does or did. It looks like a regular bolt but it has a hole in the center with what appears to be wires crammed inside it, my guess is when you are using the backhoe and put to much pressure on the bucket or arm it somehow releases the pressure.
It worked fine for years, then it started leaking hydraulic fluid and then it started squirting hydraulic fluid a few years later. I went to my local dealer back then to order a replacement only to be told they were not made anymore, period.
I finally put a rubber hose over it and clamped it so it wouldn't come off, then run it into the top of a (don't laugh) Mayonnaise jar to catch the fluid with a clamp on the inside so it wouldn't come out, then I pour it back into the reservoir when it get about full. The plastic jar is clamped to the backhoe so it stays in place. Like they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention". LOL
It's not that I use the backhoe all the time, but it's great to have when you need it around the farm, but it can be aggerating to have to stop every 30 minutes or so to pour the fluid back into the reservoir. The backhoe hooks to the 3 point hitch and it has it's own seat, unlike the ones now that share the seat with the driver and backhoe. The hydraulic hoses connect to a box that sits at the front of the drivers seat just above where you fill the transmission.
I haven't use it in 5 or 6 years and I was just trying to remember if the fluid it uses is Hydraulic fluid or it works off the transmission fluid, I have to pull a lever on the box next to the drivers seat where the hoses connect for the backhoe to work. I thought about soldering the hole shut at one time but decided that might be a bad idea since I didn't know what it did and still don't.
My question is does anyone know if there is some kind of replacement for this gismo, is it really needed and what does it do exactly. Better yet why does it squirt oil out when using the bucket or pressing down on the arms to dig, is there a way to make it stop?
Thank guys for any help anyone may offer.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Lets start with the easy thing..... the loader. It would be a model L1200 and Kubotabooks.com has the manual for it.

Unfortunately, the part numbers are no longer valid in the Kubota system but you do get to see the unique technique to disassemble the hydraulic cylinders.

This link will take you to the page for the L1200. It is the first item in the list.

Your loader, do you have a model number?

You talk about pouring the mayonnaise jar of liquid back into the reservoir. Where is this reservoir located?

What you are describing sounds more like a vent than a pressure release device. Is there a pump connected to the pto shaft or to the very front of the engine?

Are you able to provide any pictures?

Dave

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
Lets start with the easy thing..... the loader. It would be a model L1200 and Kubotabooks.com has the manual for it.

Unfortunately, the part numbers are no longer valid in the Kubota system but you do get to see the unique technique to disassemble the hydraulic cylinders.

This link will take you to the page for the L1200. It is the first item in the list.

Your loader, do you have a model number?

You talk about pouring the mayonnaise jar of liquid back into the reservoir. Where is this reservoir located?

What you are describing sounds more like a vent than a pressure release device. Is there a pump connected to the pto shaft or to the very front of the engine?

Are you able to provide any pictures?

Dave

Thanks Dave_eng and mdhughes for your replies and for the link to the loader manual as it looks almost exactly like my loader. I've never seen a model number anywhere on the loader, not to say it isn't there and I just haven't seen it, I'll look again for one.
I rebuilt both lift cylinders about 10 years ago on the loader, one still leaks a little as it has a scar on it, but the rebuild helped.
The reservoir for the loader is on the right side horizonal frame post, see pictures, the pump must be internal as it's not mounted outside that I can see. The hose on the bottom of the reservoir goes to the front of the tractor and bottom of the motor, I guess the pump is there. I'll have to get under there an look and take pictures also.
It may take a while to get the pictures as the backhoe is in a side shed behind several other implements plus I'm replacing about 1000 feet of fence and post right now that needs it bad, ( the old one is about 50 years old) and when you are working by yourself it takes longer.
I been trying to remember where I poured the fluid in the transmission case or the reservoir, but for the life of me I can't, my wife said it's been at least 10 years since I last used it, right after my mom passed, which will be 12 years this month and she is usually right too.
I've included a picture of the little step I made to make it a whole lot easier to get on and off, it's nothing fancy but it works. Getting on or off the right side is almost impossible because of the reservoir and controls as you can see. Been thinking about moving the reservoir about 6" toward the front and the controls also, would allow me to use the right side then.
I'll get the backhoe out as soon as I can, might be next week before I can get to it though, but I will.
Thanks guys for the help, I don't get on the internet everyday but try to check it a couple of times a week, so bare with me, I will get back to you. Again, thanks.

20200618_202228.jpg 20200618_202336.jpg 20200618_202407.jpg 20200618_202419.jpg

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You have an external reservoir for the loader hydraulics at least which usually means a pump separate from the main pump powering the 3 pt hitch.

If there is no pump connected to the rear pto then look closely at the front of the engine as independent pumps are often powered from the front end of the crankshaft.

Follow the hose marked in yellow on your photo.
forum reservoir.jpg

Oil venting from this external reservoir usually indicated it is overfilled.

Dave

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
You have an external reservoir for the loader hydraulics at least which usually means a pump separate from the main pump powering the 3 pt hitch.

If there is no pump connected to the rear pto then look closely at the front of the engine as independent pumps are often powered from the front end of the crankshaft.

Follow the hose marked in yellow on your photo.
View attachment 44695
Oil venting from this external reservoir usually indicated it is overfilled.

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I found it today, right up front where you said it was, see picture and the Model Number also, see pictures. I had seen the pump but never really paid much attention to it before now. I plan on changing all the hydraulic lines this winter also, these are the originals ones on it too.
I'd like to reroute those 2 hoses coming off the pump by raising them somehow when I put new hoses on it, they take a beating down that low. Just thinking maybe putting an 8" pipe coming off the pump then attach the 90 on the left side and using another 90 on the one on the right side so it's level with the left side, that would get those 2 hose about a foot higher off the ground. Any one got a better idea?
Hopefully I will finish the fence by Tuesday of next week, then I can start cleaning out that shed, it's packed full of pieces of equipment I don't use any more. Old 36" cord wood saw run by a belt off a tractor, old horse drawn plows, a 1930's McCormick Deer High Gear No. 9 side cutter, a big bottom plow with a 3 point hitch, a planter for the Kubota, just to mention a few things in the way, so it might take a day or two, but I'll get it out. Need to anyway so I can see if anything needs to be done to it before I plan of using it this fall.
Thanks again,
Don

20200619_110716.jpg 20200619_110952.jpg

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
I took some time this morning while things dried up from the rain we had last night tp get stuff moved so I could get to the backhoe, here is the picture of the vent valve or what ever it is, it's on the cylinder at the very bottom. I had forgotten I had removed the hose and jar when I put it up back then.
I remember I went to Greenville right before I put it up to every tractor and hydraulic shop with the part to see if I could find anything that would work, needless to say no one had any idea where to get anything that they thought would work. You can see just from me moving the backhoe fluid was leaking out on the cylinder. This is the cylinder that goes up to the 3 point hitch to the bottom of the backhoe.
If anyone has any ideas I appreciate any help you offer.

20200625_160617.jpg

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
Hi Guys,
I sent the picture to Lance Newhall also, he called me today to tell me what this gismo was, it's an "Air Vent" for that cylinder as that cylinder is a one way Limiter cylinder not a two way. It's designed to keep pressure on the bottom of the backhoe to stabilize it at the bottom.
The problem isn't the air vent its in the Limiter cylinder itself, the rings have worn out allowing fluid to escape by them to be pushed out by the cylinder as it moves forward and backward. The air vent allows air to enter and escape as the cylinder moves in and out as needed on the backside. The way it works is this: If the backhoe is just sitting there doing nothing, the hydraulic fluid simply flows through the source and return lines at low pressure, and the limiter cylinder sees virtually no pressure. In this case you can raise/lower the backhoe with the 3-point hitch mechanism and the limiter cylinder will not resist. If you are using the backhoe and apply down pressure to dig, the pressure rises in the hydraulic source hose and the limiter cylinder extends, pushing the rear of the tractor up and the backhoe frame down.
I did find the model to the backhoe, K-600, I also found a manual for the backhoe on ebay, $7, I'll take a chance on $7. LOL.
He said what I needed to do was have the cylinder rebuilt or rebuild it myself like I did the lift cylinders to the loader and that should solve my problem.
Thank you, mdhughes and Dave_eng for your help, I appreciate it and your time too. Again, thank you, Lance Newhall, you have been a lifesaver.