60" versus 72" deck on B2650?

Jim Bud

Equipment
B2650 HST, 60"mmm, LA534 FL, 72" rear blade
Nov 8, 2017
Sedalia, CO
I will be buying a new B2650 and I'm trying to decide which mid-mount deck to get? I think I'd like the 60" deck, but I need to have a drive over deck and I've been told that only the 72" deck is drive over?
Does anyone have any experience with a 72" deck on the B2650?
And, does the 60" deck have the drive over feature on the new decks??
Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I will be buying a new B2650 and I'm trying to decide which mid-mount deck to get? I think I'd like the 60" deck, but I need to have a drive over deck and I've been told that only the 72" deck is drive over?
Thanks
I hope that your ground is fairly flat. 72" will cut it faster for sure, but if there are any little hills/valleys - it will scalp worse than the 60"

The 60" will scalp too depending on the levelness of the grass.

AS for drive over - I would think that if the 72 is a drive over the 60 would too. The newer BX's use a 60" deck and they are drive overs. Not sure for the B series however.

Last edited:

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
I've got a B2650 with the 60 inch MMM and love it but it is not a drive over, I started to get the 72 but decided not to simply for the ease of getting around stuff and my property is not real level in places and a 72 would scalp 60 doesn't. I will say one thing though this tractor and deck combo cuts as good or better than any thing I have ever used. Deck is a ground contact type deck that rolls along the ground under the tractor and gives a nice even clean cut.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I second what bdale said. Tractor and 60" deck cut golf course quality. Not saying the 72" doesn't. Haven't used one. The 60" deck goes on and off real easy. Just goes in and out the right side of the tractor which I can do with one hand no problem.

Jim Bud

Equipment
Nov 8, 2017
Sedalia, CO
You guys are making me think twice about which deck to get?
I'm mostly cutting a field ( though my wife thinks it's a lawn ) and I cut it to around 4"'s height. My current tractor is a JD445 with a 54" deck that seems to cut this way without any problems.....but I am concerned that the 72" deck will have scalping problems because the field is not flat. I'm leaning toward the 60" but I sure wish it was a drive over.

elburro

Equipment
B3350
Jul 19, 2017
Indiana
Thanks
I have a B3350 with a 72 inch deck. I found that scalping is not a problem. However, if you have depressions in your yard that are less than 6 ft across, grass tends to be left longer after cutting than desired. I have areas in my yard that only provide one direction to traverse, which doesn't get cut to the desired length because the grass sits in a depression. The deck is a drive over. I can't speak for the 5 footer..

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I was in your position when I bought my 2650 a year ago. I opted for the 60". Both my previous kubota's had 60's, and I was really leaning towards the 72", but I have space constraints in my garage, and I have some ditches to mow that the 72" deck just wouldn't work well for. I am very happy with my choice. The B2650 with RCK60-30a deck does a beautiful job of mowing my 2 acre yard, and due to larger tires and suspension seat, mows faster than my previous B2400.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
To be the devils advocate....have you considered a 3 pt mower?
I bought one with my B2320 because I didn't want a mid mount in the way for other work. My FEL is a 48" and it's much easier and faster to remove the 3 point than it is the mid mount. Plus it's a matter of clearance.
Just thought I would mention it.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I bought one with my B2320 because I didn't want a mid mount in the way for other work. My FEL is a 48" and it's much easier and faster to remove the 3 point than it is the mid mount. Plus it's a matter of clearance.
It is sure unbelievable how you keep trying push people into a 3pt mower when they clearly want a mmm. Just because you dont like them or can't figure them out to use one , doesn't mean they arent a good option for every one else. I have one of each and put as many hrs on each one. They both work great and can use each one equally as well, I will give good advice on either one that a member wants to know about,but I dont try to push a member either way . I can put either one on or off in 2-3 minutes to do whatever I need with my tractor, so non issue. So you should really address a members needs and not constantly push what you like as the only answer. I have never seen you say an mmm might be a good option for a member since you have been on OTT.

Last edited:

Jim Bud

Equipment
Nov 8, 2017
Sedalia, CO
I used to have a B1700 with a 60" mmm and I had lots of fencing and bushes to trim around and I was very comfortable getting close and doing it fairly fast. I used a rear blade for snow and it was a pain to have to turn my head around to see everything. My current smaller tractor is a 54" mmm and is easy to cut this 5 acre property with the fences and trees, etc. I think I will stick with the mmm because I'm 72 years old and I'm trained on using it ...... it's that simple for me :)

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I have the 72" deck on my B2650 and find it to work quite well. I like that it projects out a bit more on the sides than the 60" would and it's easy peasy to take on and off. In all honesty I find it easier to just un-hook it, raise the front of the tractor with the loader, then pull it out from the right. Since the deck is on 4 swivel wheels it rolls out with just a little pull (on my smooth garage floor at least). I was able to remove it this way easier and faster than trying to get the deck blocked so the tractor wouldn't push it instead of climbing up and over it.
The smaller 60" should pull out and go on just as easy, if not more so.

At first I did scalp in a few places (that never were with my previous 54" deck) but I just raised the cut 1/2" and no more scalping.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
It is sure unbelievable how you keep trying push people into a 3pt mower
Sir,

With all due respect I am not pushing anyone into anything.
I am merely offering my suggestion based on years of mid mower mowing and fairly recent 3 point mowing. If you have read any of my posts on that subject then you know exactly what I think and why I think it.

I am thrilled that you like the mid mower.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent point :)
On my BX25D - I have a 60" mmm - works perfectly! BUT at 5' wide and a chute. I have to watch things a lot closer than when it is off!!! I bought another 5' cutter (B7100) that all it does is cut grass! The BX is FEL/BH deals with picking up and moving stuff - so not having the MMM on it is a huge plus! AND taking it off and on...is a PITA too. IF you do not have a level place to push and pull to get it off....forget it!!!

AS for a pto mower - I would buy one of those in a heart beat! They are cheaper per foot than a MMM and a hellva lot easier to hook up! Plus damn near all 3 point mowers will go behind anything else, a mmm is hard to find once the model years roll on by.

Opening up a debate as to which cuts better is a whole other topic!:eek::)

Jim Bud

Equipment
Nov 8, 2017
Sedalia, CO
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
I bought a B2650 today with a 60" mmm, front bucket and a 72" rear blade.
I'm sure that I will be back with lots of questions after I get the tractor and need help figuring stuff out.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Congrats on your new purchase. You have a nice outfit there that should serve you well. Any questions feel free to ask.

Bevan175

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSDC
Aug 11, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
I bought a B2650 today with a 60" mmm, front bucket and a 72" rear blade.
I'm sure that I will be back with lots of questions after I get the tractor and need help figuring stuff out.
Good Luck. I just received my and first cut went fantastic. I went with the 72.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It is sure unbelievable how you keep trying push people into a 3pt mower when they clearly want a mmm...............................
Heck, I'm a big cheerleader for RFM - yes, even over zero turns. If I'm in a hurry I can cut my 3-1/2 acres in under 1-1/2 hours. I have owned a MMM and 3 RFM's. I mowed for a hospitalized relative using his ZT and didn't care for it at all. I preferred the RFM so much I trailered my Ford there for the summer. I believe many people who make recommendations do so without having experience with the different equipment.

Some people never even think of the RFM option, and it is very worthwhile considering one. My first tractor had a 60" MMM and when I bought the second tractor, I figured I'd try a 60" RFM. I found that I preferred the RFM and the next two tractors after that were equipped with RFM's as well. The most recent tractor is the L3200 with a 72" rear discharge deck. The extra foot in width reduces the mowing time much more than "doing the math" would have you believe. I'm toying with getting a 7' or maybe wider deck. I contacted Agri supply a couple months ago but they were out of the Caroni 91" RFM's. Right now I can do all the mowing with the 6 footer and spend less than 2 minutes with a DeWalt 20V string trimmer to do around the pole light and one sidewalk. If I go much wider, I'll need to use the 60" deck to trim around a couple places.

There is one knob I can't re-contour because of its proximity to a couple other things that can't be changed without a major project. I can scalp it just as easily with my 60" deck on the old Ford as I can with my 72" deck on the Kubota. As a matter of fact, I probably did more scalping with the MMM because of the way it mounted. All my RFM's have had four wheels the deck rides on. Scalping is more related to the location of those wheels than the width of the deck.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
.................works perfectly! BUT at 5' wide and a chute. .........................
My last RFM is rear discharge. After 20-some years of everything being right-side discharge I was concerned something wouldn't work well. The fears were unfounded. Two big benefits were NOT having the chute sticking out the side, and not having to mow in a certain direction / pattern because of clippings.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Heck, I'm a big cheerleader for RFM - yes, even over zero turns. If I'm in a hurry I can cut my 3-1/2 acres in under 1-1/2 hours. I have owned a MMM and 3 RFM's. I mowed for a hospitalized relative using his ZT and didn't care for it at all. I preferred the RFM so much I trailered my Ford there for the summer. I believe many people who make recommendations do so without having experience with the different equipment.

Some people never even think of the RFM option, and it is very worthwhile considering one. My first tractor had a 60" MMM and when I bought the second tractor, I figured I'd try a 60" RFM. I found that I preferred the RFM and the next two tractors after that were equipped with RFM's as well. The most recent tractor is the L3200 with a 72" rear discharge deck. The extra foot in width reduces the mowing time much more than "doing the math" would have you believe. I'm toying with getting a 7' or maybe wider deck. I contacted Agri supply a couple months ago but they were out of the Caroni 91" RFM's. Right now I can do all the mowing with the 6 footer and spend less than 2 minutes with a DeWalt 20V string trimmer to do around the pole light and one sidewalk. If I go much wider, I'll need to use the 60" deck to trim around a couple places.

There is one knob I can't re-contour because of its proximity to a couple other things that can't be changed without a major project. I can scalp it just as easily with my 60" deck on the old Ford as I can with my 72" deck on the Kubota. As a matter of fact, I probably did more scalping with the MMM because of the way it mounted. All my RFM's have had four wheels the deck rides on. Scalping is more related to the location of those wheels than the width of the deck.

There is sure nothing wrong with being a rfm fan. I am too. I run a Land Pride 72in rear discharge mower also.I have extensive experience with both types of mowers to make recommendations on either type. It is just some people on the site think it is the only mowing option. Nothing wrong with bringing that option to a posters attention. The mmm is also a very good option for alot of people. That is what the op was wanting information on and what he bought for his new tractor so apparently a good option for him also. According to 85 Hokie the mmm on the BX 25 is a pita to get on and off which I surely dont doubt him. He bought another tractor just to mow. But for me and I only have 1 tractor, the set up on the B2650 is very friendly for installing and removing the mmm. The mmm on this model is a ground engaging deck and is not inferior in any way to my rfm . As I said, on my model, I can have the mmm off in 2-3 minutes to put my rfm on, or any other implement to do any other work I need with my tractor.

Last edited:

earlphillips

Equipment
B2650HST TLB, 72" hyd PA SP, 63" 2-stage SB, 60"MMM,Fork Lifts Ballast Bx
Nov 10, 2017
NEW TRIPOLI, PA
I was in a quandary as I just ordered a week ago a B2650 HST TLB with cab and a 60 inch MMM. Other accessories included are, a 63 inch 2-stage snow blower with power rotor and deflector. 72 inch power angle plow, 3rd function valve, valving for down pressure on 3 point hitch, 28 inch draw bar, telescopic three point arms and right side arm adjuster. Fork-lift and ballast box too. Top end stereo, halogens on back. Gave some thought over the weekend and even called salesperson and said "do what you can to get me a 72 inch deck" He called back and said the truck has been loaded, if I wanted the 72 inch mower I would not get the discount they gave on the 60 inch, I would have to pay the freight too. Was it worth an up-charge of over a $1000 for 12 more inches? I read all the threads on this and have come to the same conclusion that a 60 inch would be better even though it is not a drive-over deck as what is on the B2601 I was contemplating on purchasing. An issue with the Curtis cab and costs of over $7000 would not have been as comfortable as the unit I ordered which has a factory cab with heat and air conditioning. Not to mention BH77 with seat vs. BH70 without.