5410 front wheel noise

cbernhardt

Feb 26, 2017
Lexington, NC, USA
I have a 5410 4 wheel drive tractor with only 420 hours. Recently I have noticed a strange noise coming from the right front wheel. The noise is like a scraping or creaking sound, not a constant sound, but occurs once every wheel revolution. I have a front end loader attached and first noticed the sound when traveling with a full bucket of dirt. The noise is much more pronounced with a load in the bucket. Turning the wheel right or left does not seem to change the frequency or volume of the sound. Any suggestions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Is your tractor green? :confused:

If it's orange, go recheck the # and there is also a letter before the #, and make sure the name of the tractor starts with Ku and not Ki. ;)

As a 5410 is a John Deere. :p

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
First thing i would do is raise front wheels off ground,place stands under front axle.shift tractor into 2wd and roll front wheels with tractor off to see which wheel is making the noise. determine if its loose,like bearings or wheel nuts loose. From there look to see if any evidence of oil leak on backside of wheels.
If you report back with your findings we may be able to giude you through the next steps. Well, not we but North Idaho Wolfman more than likely.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: 5140 front wheel noise

My mistake. It is an M5140 KUBOTA
No problem, not picking on you, we just needed an exact model to get you exact answers.

Like Tooljunkie said I would jack up the right front side in 2wd.
#1 check lug nuts, remove them all and look for odd wear, not uncommon for it to cause stress crack from nuts either being loose or being loose at one time.
#2 spin the wheel and listen and feel for resistance, or noise.
#3 grab the tire and try to move it in and out on top and bottom and on side to side, any movement find and your going to need to get into it and find the failed part most likely a bearing.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Sounds like hub bearing failing; or perhaps already failed. If it's just one, rebuild both of them. 10 times out of 9, if you do one, the other one fails shortly after.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Sounds like hub bearing failing; or perhaps already failed. If it's just one, rebuild both of them. 10 times out of 9, if you do one, the other one fails shortly after.
I have to agree, they have both travelled the same distance and carried the same loads.

cbernhardt

Feb 26, 2017
Lexington, NC, USA
Sorry for the long delay in answering. The creaking noise was caused by a few loose nuts, not the center lug nuts but the bolts/nuts holding the steel rim to the steel center section.