540 PTO generator Help

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I’m looking into buying a PTO generator rate for 540 RPMs. I’m wanting to run the generator off my 1000 RPM PTO. I have found adapters but was looking for someone that has done this. My tractor is 84 PTO HP and turns 540 RPM at 1250 Engine RPMS with the 1000 RPM shaft. The Generator that I’m looking at requires 50 HP at full load. Do you think the tractor will have enough HP operate the generator at 1250 RPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not being the bad guy here ....but you gonna burn a great bit of diesel for this to operate over time! Bet you know this already.

What Kilowatt genny is this? Must be up there a wee bit.

To answer your question - I think you will be fine, 100% (FULL LOAD) will never be used - like a 200 amp service coming into your house.....despite the breakers adding up much more than 200 amps, rarely if ever does the main trip due to the adding of all the branches being no where near 200 amps.

So - if you can get it lined up and spinning at the correct rpm - the governor should hold it there also.

What are the generator specs?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I’m looking into buying a PTO generator rate for 540 RPMs. I’m wanting to run the generator off my 1000 RPM PTO. I have found adapters but was looking for someone that has done this. My tractor is 84 PTO HP and turns 540 RPM at 1250 Engine RPMS with the 1000 RPM shaft. The Generator that I’m looking at requires 50 HP at full load. Do you think the tractor will have enough HP operate the generator at 1250 RPM?

What tractor model do you have?
I don't know of any model that runs the PTO with the engine turning that slow. :confused:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What tractor model do you have?
I don't know of any model that runs the PTO with the engine turning that slow. :confused:
Mine does. My M9 with the double ended PTO shaft (540 - 6 spline on one end and 1000 - 21 spine on the other certainly does. I have it that way because the hay implements I run don't require maximum power, much more economical to run at reduced RPM. I run a 21-6 adapter all the time. When I bought the 9 years ago, it was a dealer installed option. Best option I got next to a third remote and flow control.

To answer the OP's question, I don't think you have enough cajonies at reduced rpm to run that PTO genny.

The 105X is single 540 output.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Weasler 21 to 6 spine adapters are 35 bucks everyday at TSC btw.

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Not being the bad guy here ....but you gonna burn a great bit of diesel for this to operate over time! Bet you know this already.

What Kilowatt genny is this? Must be up there a wee bit.

To answer your question - I think you will be fine, 100% (FULL LOAD) will never be used - like a 200 amp service coming into your house.....despite the breakers adding up much more than 200 amps, rarely if ever does the main trip due to the adding of all the branches being no where near 200 amps.

So - if you can get it lined up and spinning at the correct rpm - the governor should hold it there also.

What are the generator specs?

Here is the generator I was lookin at. It’s a 25kw. Fuel consumption and noise is reason I was wanting to try and run with the 1000 PTO at 540 RPM. It would only be used long term during major power outages.

I’m a firefighter/paramedic and if the weather is getting bad I usually have to go to work. Which leaves the wife at home alone. Wanted to have everything hooked up and ready so all she had to go is crank up the tractor and engage the pto.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Winco-25PTOC-3-PTO-Generator/p1183.html

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Awww I got ya, that's a 1000RPM Only PTO without buying the conversion kit at $1200 some odd dollars.

Ok now for the answer you're not going to like, No you can't / or better answer, you shouldn't, it will bog the engine down, create too much heat on the PTO drive and possibly do damage to a multitude of systems.

You should just get this one at the same cost:

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirec...JmSv6LhGrjkuUZJse9qNR3GOfA5c3l4RoCwC4QAvD_BwE

And then you'll have zero worries!
It's not worth the little fuel savings in an emergency situation. ;)

Now as far as noise, you could add a second temp muffler to quiet it down... but then again in a emergency situation I can deal with a little noise for a while, besides you can just turn the working TV or radio volume up to out do the noise! :D

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It can be either 540 or 1000. Just have to swap the shaft out. The shafts engages different gears inside the transmission.

So you already have the 2 speed gearbox adapter:
So same goes, if you run it with the 1000 PTO shaft with an adapter down to 540 size, with the engine only supplying speed for 540RPM, its going to tax the unit, just how much is really unknown.

But since you have both the shafts get the 540RPM generator, and try it like you wanna do with the 1000RPM shaft with the adapter, keep a very close eye on the RPM drops as it gets loaded, temps and overall performance, and if it does fine, then your good, if it doesn't, change to the 540 shaft and you'll be golden. ;)

The only thing you would be out is the adapter if it doesn't work. :)

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Yes, it will run it but probably not at 25 KW full load at 1,250 RPM.

Of course, most folks do not size generators such that full load is often needed. How often will you need 25 KW?

My M9960 has EPTO and produces 540 PTO RPM at around 1,750 engine RPM with EPTO engaged. There is much less PTO HP and torque available at 1,750 engine RPM.

Though I've never had it on a dyno, I would guess nothing more than 60 PTO HP. The M9960 replaced a 60 PTO HP tractor for use with the same mower in the same areas. With EPTO engaged, it handles the mower no better than did the 60 PTO HP tractor.

SDT

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Yes, it will run it but probably not at 25 KW full load at 1,250 RPM.

Of course, most folks do not size generators such that full load is often needed. How often will you need 25 KW?

My M9960 has EPTO and produces 540 PTO RPM at around 1,750 engine RPM with EPTO engaged. There is much less PTO HP and torque available at 1,750 engine RPM.

Though I've never had it on a dyno, I would guess nothing more than 60 PTO HP. The M9960 replaced a 60 PTO HP tractor for use with the same mower in the same areas. With EPTO engaged, it handles the mower no better than did the 60 PTO HP tractor.

SDT

I doubt I will ever be at full load. I have a refrigerator, 2 freezers, well pump, and an oven. Water heater emergency heat and cooktop are propane. If everything was running at once it would be close but that is very unlikely.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Been having Internet issues all day and I see some of my comments never made the jaunt...

I wanted to say that I don't think that running at reduced rpm (1000 pto with a 21-6 spline adapter will provide enough ooomph to spin that genny reliably for a prolonged period.

I toyed with that idea myself but instead got a 17KW dedicated standby unit (propane) to run the house and a 25KW diesel powered unit to run the barns and shop because we live at the end of the power line and when it goes, it's gone for days. I have to pump water for the stock and the shop is heated and cooled.

Finally, sometimes I wish for about 30 seconds that I had newer tractors that had the fancy dan lever operated 2 speed pto, but only for a second. I'll keep my old pre-tier 4 smokers, they are just fine with me but then I like diesel smoke.

Was at my dealer the other day and we were talking about maybe trading in the M9 for a new unit. (the 105 don't get used that much) and my dealer told me the M9's were in great demand and he could probably get me close to what I paid for it. It stays inside all the time unless I'm using it and then it gets washed and waxed after use. Only has 1500 hours total on it. Sure would like all the fancy dan stuff but the older gals still do the job.

Only thing I don't like about switching the pto shaft is I have to park the tractor on a ditch bank nose down so when I flip the shaft, I don't loose the hydraulic fluid out the back. A minor inconvenience.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I doubt I will ever be at full load. I have a refrigerator, 2 freezers, well pump, and an oven. Water heater emergency heat and cooktop are propane. If everything was running at once it would be close but that is very unlikely.

That's not even close to 25 KW.

SDT

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
When we were still farming, the backup power was supplied with a 40kw Generac powered by a CIH 885 thru the 540 rpm pto. This was to power the high consumption stuff like silo unloaders and pipeline milker. When the heavy lifting was done for the day, the 1000 to 540 pto stub was put on the 1000rpm pto and for the rest of the day the tractor ran at half the rpm to meet the lower power requirments.
Just be aware that at half the rpm on a tractor, you don't even get half the horsepower that it is rated for. And make sure that no automatic power hogs unexpectedly come on line and bog down your tractor.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Always keep in mind that running amperage (on any motor) is usually (not always) is 1/3rd of starting amperage when calculating total amperage used.

Hard starting loads like refrigerators and compressors are always 3 times running amperage.