50 hr service L3901hst

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
I am about to do the 50 hr service on My L3901 hst 4wd. What motor oil should I use? I know I have to run Kubota filters. Is there anything else I should do when I tackle this job? Will this void the warranty if I do the first service Myself?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Keep receipts for any filters and fluids you buy from Kubota and doing it yourself will be fine. Since it is an hst, be sure to change the hydro filters and fluid. This is a step you don't want to miss. Use Kubota's newer hydraulic fluid. As for engine oil and filter, you can get both from the local parts store. Rotella is a good choice. Since you are getting the other stuff from kubota, you might as well use their oil and filters as well. The difference in price won't be a lot. Keep records of what you do and the warranty will be fine.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Keep receipts for any filters and fluids you buy from Kubota and doing it yourself will be fine. Since it is an hst, be sure to change the hydro filters and fluid. This is a step you don't want to miss. Use Kubota's newer hydraulic fluid. As for engine oil and filter, you can get both from the local parts store. Rotella is a good choice. Since you are getting the other stuff from kubota, you might as well use their oil and filters as well. The difference in price won't be a lot. Keep records of what you do and the warranty will be fine.
Good call about saving the receipts. I am doing my 50 hour service this weekend. I *think* the manual said that the HST filter should be changed but not the fluid. I'll double check.

Mine is a Tier 4 diesel so I am using the CJ-4 rated oil, probably 10W-30.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
In the manual on my L3800 it says to replace the hydro filters only. Which is what my dealer suggested and what I did. I have recently replaced the hydro fluid at 300 hrs instead of 400 like the manual says, I had the money and time and went ahead and did it early. Even at 300 hrs I couldn't tell a difference as far as what the fluid looked like compared to the new i poured in. Also there was little to noetal debris on the filter magnet.

As far as the question of motor oil I used Kubota oil and filters. I'm sure there are plenty of good options out there tho.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Thanks guys! The manual says only HST filter to be changed not the fluid yet. I will buy the filters and oil from Kubota then and change it. Anything I should know about the HST filter change?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks guys! The manual says only HST filter to be changed not the fluid yet. I will buy the filters and oil from Kubota then and change it. Anything I should know about the HST filter change?
When you change the hydraulic filter, just make sure you have the new filter in hand and have a few rags ready - the trick is to unscrew it and spin off and then spin new one on as fast as possible - the about of fluid will be smaller than you think, and the amount of fluid you replace may be more than leaked out!;)

Break the old one - loosen it a 1/8 turn and then you can spin off and spin in a lot easier!

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
When you change the hydraulic filter, just make sure you have the new filter in hand and have a few rags ready - the trick is to unscrew it and spin off and then spin new one on as fast as possible - the about of fluid will be smaller than you think, and the amount of fluid you replace may be more than leaked out!;)

Break the old one - loosen it a 1/8 turn and then you can spin off and spin in a lot easier!
Do you need to fill the new Hydro filter with fluid before installing it? I have a zero turn mower and that is has to be done when the hydro filter is changed, not sure if the tractor is the same way.

ETA: I picked up the oil I am going to use last night from WallyWorld. Rotella 10w-30 synthetic blend. It is CJ-4 rated and safe for diesels with DPF.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I have also heard that you can wrap tape round the end of a vacuum hose, wedge it in the top when you take the cap off, and turn it on. It will create enough pull to keep the fluid loss to a minimum, but won't pull it into the hose.

I am going to see how this works when my next interval comes up.

Doc

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
When you change the hydro fluid, if you have a front end loader, remember to collapse the cylinders. That will get a little more of the oil out.

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like its gonna be fun to change the hydro filter. Well its due so its gonna happen. I'm not at 50.8 hrs. I read that I need to change the fuel filter too. How complicated is that and will I have to bleed the system afterwards?