3pt hitch lifting capacity

Fryeburg500

Equipment
L185DT with FEL and Backhoe
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
I recently purchased a Kubota L185DT with a loader and backhoe. Its an awesome little machine and I'm really excited to have it. The problem is that the 3pt hitch wont lift the small backhoe that came with the tractor. I've taken the hoe off and I've stood on the hitch and it lifts me no problem so I know its operational. I'm curious what sort of issues or newbie mistakes I might be making. Might it be some sort of servicing issue, and if so, what servicing would/could effect 3pt hitch lift? My loader has massive up and down power. Everything else seems to work as it should. It only has 1265 hours. I do have a pretty significant hydro leak on one of the hoe down riggers but isn't the 3pt hitch a separate system from the hydro that runs the loader and hoe controls? Forgive me for my ignorance. My books and manual say that 3pt hitch has a 2000 lb. Lift capability. The hoe can't weigh more than 600 pounds. It uses an aux hydraulic system that attaches via two quick disconnects located by the fel controls. Theres a large hydraulic resevoir mounted in the same location. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
Please correct me if I'm wrong but he knob under the seat only adjusts the down speed of the 3pt hitch and also acts as a lock out. I don't think that would effect the lifting capacity unless it were in the "locked" position. As far as the screens and filters, I'm not 100% sure where those are located, so I have not yet checked those. I assume, if those are plugged up, there won't be enough hydro power to lift fully. Where on my L185DT would these screens and filters be? I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a couple of different ways they could have hooked up the FEL and the backhoe hydraulics.
One way would share the Hydraulic pump and sump, the other would keep the 2 systems separate.
I wonder if when you connect the backhoe if that cuts off the three point?

Does it have a front crank powered pump?

I'll send you a link for a download of the WSM for the tractor, as far as the loader and backhoe hydraulics and filters go, that will just take some looking into.

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
I'm going to service the entire system tomorrow. I'll replace the two leaky lines and one leaky downrigger fitting. I did run the hoe today. It has massive down pressure and hoe bucket curl power but it lacks lifting power and left right power. I'll try and post a photo of my backhoe situation and maybe someone can shed.some light on what the center, lower hydraulic cylinder is for that connects the to the top, center 3pt hitch bracket on the tractor itself. There is no specific lever that controls the cylinder im talking about that I can see. I was able to lift the hoe today but only using the backhoe downpressure to lift it.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
As far as the screens and filters, I'm not 100% sure where those are located, so I have not yet checked those. I assume, if those are plugged up, there won't be enough hydro power to lift fully. Where on my L185DT would these screens and filters be? I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.
See this thread for location of the filter screens...

North Idaho Wolfman shows one and I (Russell King) describe another and link to a picture of where mine is.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13827&highlight=screen

BTW - if you need the operators manual let me know.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Just a thought

If the 3p will lift you and the fel will lift heavy stuff.

Try just mechanically hooking the backhoe up without the hydraulic lines hooked up and try lifting.

If it does than the backhoe valve is the issue?
If not it is the tractor hydraulics.

Divide and concur

Ray

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
So I might have figured it out. This kubota backhoe (unknown model) seems to have a hydraulic cylinder that connects from the bottom, center of the hoe (between downriggers) to the center mounting bracket that attaches the hoe to the tractor. This cylinder has one hydro line attached which means it can only be pressurized. It seems to be working against the 3pt hitch. I'll try to post a picture. Can anyone tell me what model this hoe is and if it needs that center hydraulic cylinder? Thanks.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
BL4520 is the model number of the hoe for the L185DT.

To see parts/assembly drawing go to Kubota.com, parts, illustrated parts list, accept legal agreement, search for L185 and then select the words "local options" that will take you to the parts manual for the accessories.

I glanced and the BL4520 looks similar to your pictures.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The BL4520 was a sub frame mounted unit, that is a three point mounted unit that you have.
Look for a tag that will say the model#

Skipping all that, you need to find what controls that cylinder, if it only has one hose you need to find the valve that will relive the hydraulic fluid and pressure, then lift the unit and re energize the cylinder when you need to lock it in place.

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
I've looked all over the hoe for a data plate or model number with no luck. I can tell you that that questionable cylinder has a line going from its base, up to what seems to be the return line for the hydraulics. See photo.

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
So that hydraulic cylinder takes the place of the safety lock strap that is supposed to be installed on a 3 point hitch backhoe to keep it from unexpectedly rising up and crushing the operator while digging. Now you just need to figure out how to control it.

Attachments

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
On the lower right hand side of this photo, you can see a "T" fitting where the hydraulic return hose is routed back to the hydraulic tank and the other hose gets routed down to that cylinder which seems to be working against the 3pt hitch while trying to raise the hoe. I don't see how that cylinder can be "controlled", as any time any of the hoe controls are used, hydraulic pressure is routed back through the system which results in some of that pressure being routed to that lower center cylinder. I should note that on the top of that cylinder, where the piston extends outward, there is what seems to be a bleed off plug (nut) that is much the same in construction as the oil filter nozzle on a home oil fired heat pump. It's like very closely grouped pieces of brass that allows a small amount of air to escape from. I hope that made sense. There is no in/out or up/down control for the questionable cylinder though and I'm starting to think that the hydraulic cylinder itself, without any pressure line attached, would achieve the same sort of "safety" in preventing the hoe from crushing the operator, while not working against the 3pt hitch lifting ability. I'm no hydro whizz so forgive me if I'm still missing anything obvious. I really appreciate all the feedback on this. *****I should add that the hose that seems to "T" off and go straight up on the previous picture is the return hose that goes back to the Hydro filter just before fluid makes it back to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. The hose that goes downward connects to the cylinder in question.

Attachments

Last edited:

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I think the brass thing you are describing, is a breather plug on a single acting cylinder. Not sure if it is factory, but I'm no expert. In fact the line going in to the return, don't look kosher, either. Methinks someone has been tinkering with that which he doesn't understand. Not you, not me, perhaps the previous owner...:D

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
Well diydave, methinks you're right. After hours of research, my hoe seems to be a k600 or k650 model and all the photos ive seen do not have that hydraulic cylinder mounted, nor a pressure hose attached via a "T" fitting. The solid adjustable mount bar from hoe to rear of tractor is all that's needed I think and that hydraulic cylinder can be done away with. I've got some emails out to some other smart folks to confirm as well, but I see no reason for that cylinder whatsoever. Has anyone ever seen a setup like this?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Well diydave, methinks you're right. After hours of research, my hoe seems to be a k600 or k650 model and all the photos ive seen do not have that hydraulic cylinder mounted, nor a pressure hose attached via a "T" fitting. The solid adjustable mount bar from hoe to rear of tractor is all that's needed I think and that hydraulic cylinder can be done away with. I've got some emails out to some other smart folks to confirm as well, but I see no reason for that cylinder whatsoever. Has anyone ever seen a setup like this?
If you want to replace that cyl, just get an adjustable screw type mechanical cylinder. If I can find what I have in mind, I'll edit in a link.:D

Here's the link:http://www.agrisupply.com/ratchet-jack-adjustable-with-lock/p/38124/

Last edited:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
If you need to work the 3pt regularly with the hoe on the back like that, I'd switch to a double acting cylinder and set it up like that (with control valve) but with a manual valve on the return to tank line from the top (which is currently ported or blocked) so you have a 'safety' stop valve you have to open before you can operate the ram.

If you aren't going to be doing it a lot, replace it with a steel bar and a quick release pin on the top side so you can undo the quick release and then raise the unit.

IF you want to use your existing system, you will need to "T" off the line again and put a manual valve guarding a return to tank line feed on that lower feed. Open the valve and you can raise the 3pt with the lift collapsing that ram. At least that's a quick thought in my head.

NIWolfman is really good on the hydraulics as well.

Fryeburg500

Equipment
Mar 23, 2015
sweden, maine
I disconnected that single ported hydraulic cylinder by disconnecting both pins and set it aside while I tried out the 3pt. Hitch again and the hitch lifted that hoe like cake. I'll be buying an top link assembly instead and am going to completely do away with that hydro cylinder set up. Thanks for all your help.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I disconnected that single ported hydraulic cylinder by disconnecting both pins and set it aside while I tried out the 3pt. Hitch again and the hitch lifted that hoe like cake. I'll be buying an top link assembly instead and am going to completely do away with that hydro cylinder set up. Thanks for all your help.
A top-link won't help. The cylinder appears to be an owner add-on to stop the backhoe from lifting every time you try to dig down. Initially Kubota used a heavy bar across the 3ph lift arms, bolted to the bottom of the K/L650 frame to prevent this action. All it accomplished was to bend the lift arms.
DIYDAVE's suggestion of using a screw type cylinder is an excellent idea. I had done basically the same thing with flat bar from the 3ph lift points up to the tractor side top link. This worked wonderfully, but is a bitch to line up when attaching the implement.

Last edited: