1977 B7100, Hydraulic Oil pump

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
I am getting hydraulic oil in the crankcase of my '77 B7100 (gray market from Japan). The service center says the only reason to get this condition, is the oil seal on the hydraulic oil pump. Makes sense. So, I go to get the seal, and the guy tells me there are 6 O-Rings in there too. I see them in the exploded diagram of the pump, in the manual.I get the O-Rings, while I am at it. Then, I find that there are internal bushings inside that I never thought about. So, I call the Kubota dealer back, to see about buying those inner and outer bushings. Not available. Can buy the O-Rings. Can buy the seal. Can but the whole pump, for $608 (That's NOT happening). The manual tells how to rebuild the pump, including replacing the bushings.
I have NOT yet taken it apart. I plan to get into it, this week, as I have some mowing that will be necessary, soon, from all of this rain.
I am hoping someone familiar with it, might tell me where I can find bushings, OR, even better, tell me that bushing replacement will be UNLIKELY to be needed. I guess that I just need a bit of hand holding here, because I have very little option here. If I can't buy the bushings, then there is no need to worry about replacing them, regardless how bad they are.
Maybe someone has a B7100 parts machine, that would sell a hydraulic pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am getting hydraulic oil in the crankcase of my '77 B7100 (gray market from Japan). The service center says the only reason to get this condition, is the oil seal on the hydraulic oil pump. Makes sense. So, I go to get the seal, and the guy tells me there are 6 O-Rings in there too. I see them in the exploded diagram of the pump, in the manual.I get the O-Rings, while I am at it. Then, I find that there are internal bushings inside that I never thought about. So, I call the Kubota dealer back, to see about buying those inner and outer bushings. Not available. Can buy the O-Rings. Can buy the seal. Can but the whole pump, for $608 (That's NOT happening). The manual tells how to rebuild the pump, including replacing the bushings.
I have NOT yet taken it apart. I plan to get into it, this week, as I have some mowing that will be necessary, soon, from all of this rain.
I am hoping someone familiar with it, might tell me where I can find bushings, OR, even better, tell me that bushing replacement will be UNLIKELY to be needed. I guess that I just need a bit of hand holding here, because I have very little option here. If I can't buy the bushings, then there is no need to worry about replacing them, regardless how bad they are.
Maybe someone has a B7100 parts machine, that would sell a hydraulic pump?
Your B7100 if it is a B7100 and not a B7000 or B7001 then it is not a grey as there was not B7100 grey's. ;)

No you can not get the bushings or gears separately, so your likely going to need to just get a new pump if yours is damaged.
You can get them in the $400 range.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Yes, I know about the numbering. It's just simpler to call it a B7100. It IS established that is was a Japanese market version.
Still the D750 engine is the same. The hydraulic pump is the same. There are some differences, between this 7001, and the American market B7100. But, for the sake of this post it was simpler to call it by the name on the cowl, because the parts I am dealing with are the same on both.
Again, I haven't gotten it apart yet. I don't KNOW what is bad. I simply had hoped to rebuild it, properly with new bushings, since it must come off, to replace the oil seal. I suspect the bushings will be good, as I get plenty of hydraulic pressure. I just KNOW that I have a leaky seal. I hate to take it apart, and not rebuild the pump completely. It's like putting brakes on one wheel of a car, or replacing 3 spark plugs on a V-8 gas engine. It's just not completing the job. But, even $400 for that little pump, is a ridiculous price. The dealer quoted $608 plus labor. I'd buy a KNOWN good used one, for a reasonable price, but $400 isn't reasonable, in my estimation.
What I'm hoping for, is someone who has enough experience with this engine, to say either, "Those bushings almost never fail" OR "Those bushings are the same as in XYZ model, which ARE available".
That was my hope.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Funny, if a 400 dollar pump is the tipping point for fixing my tractor i would do it. The time spent to attempt a repair is better off spent in the seat than under the hood and at the workbench. Seems like a decent price. Even for a good used one.

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
But, even $400 for that little pump, is a ridiculous price.
Hydraulic system components are expensive. They require close tolerance machining, and are made from Unobtanium, which we all know costs huge amounts of money.

Seriously, $400 for a pump is about the going rate for a small pump. Pumps for mobile hydraulic systems on utility trucks run into the thousands of dollars.

The dealer quoted $608 plus labor.
The dealer will almost always be the most costly option. Parts markup, overhead, labor, and an overwhelming desire to make lots of money.

Probably so they can buy more Unobtanium.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Funny, if a 400 dollar pump is the tipping point for fixing my tractor i would do it. The time spent to attempt a repair is better off spent in the seat than under the hood and at the workbench. Seems like a decent price. Even for a good used one.
That would be true, if I had a true "for profit" type of operation. I'm a guy who never intended to farm. I bought acreage (15) in the country, to retire. Started raising chickens, then other fowl. Now have a couple of hogs. trying to get to afford 2-3 head of cattle, so that we can raise all of our own meat. We are not selling anything from the farm. We are retirees living on an extremely limited budget, just trying to make ends meet, by raising as much of our own food as we can.
We have very little use for a tractor. Mostly for hauling larger stuff, or mowing the yard. This B7001/7100 is my main lawn mower, as it's main function. It is not even adequate enough to mow the pasture. I have a neighbor who does that, for the hay. It's just a little "Toy Tractor" as I call it. Aside from towing logs around and mowing the yard (It's not much bigger, but is much sturdier, than a Husqvarna Lawn Tractor), it's main use, is to travel the 200 yards from one end of my rifle range to the other, to check/change targets. Otherwise, it came with the property, when we bought this place, and it makes a nice off road vehicle. It's a toy, not a working tractor.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Hydraulic system components are expensive. They require close tolerance machining, and are made from Unobtanium, which we all know costs huge amounts of money.

Seriously, $400 for a pump is about the going rate for a small pump. Pumps for mobile hydraulic systems on utility trucks run into the thousands of dollars.

The dealer will almost always be the most costly option. Parts markup, overhead, labor, and an overwhelming desire to make lots of money.

Probably so they can buy more Unobtanium.
I can find no other places, who carry parts, locally, for Kubota. And, even online, finding parts for this tractor, is often very frustrating. This part seems to be particularly difficult to locate, other than at the dealer.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
I may have one of those pumps. I need to see pictures and part number, if you don't mind.
Part number 67211-76100

And, the S/N on the frame, showing it to be a 7001, and the reason Kubota will not work on it at their shops, nor will they even quote me parts prices if I say it is a 7001. Someone who owned it previous to me, did a nice job trying to hide that it is gray market, by re-badging it, and putting new tags and stickers, all over it. BUt the S/N is the dead giveaway, as far as the dealer said. They will not work on, nor give any information, regarding gray market tractors.

Last edited:

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Thank you. If necessary, I may try that option. I'll wait to see if cviola2005 has a pump. Then when we take this one off (still waiting on other parts to come in, before we tackle the whole thing at once) see if there are any issues with the pump, or not. I'm still hoping that it's just the seal, and that's all I'll need to replace. But, if it turns out to need a whole pump, I'd like to know where I can get one, fairly quickly.
I suspect that the bushings, from these folks, will be nearly as much as the pump itself.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And, the S/N on the frame, showing it to be a 7001, and the reason Kubota will not work on it at their shops, nor will they even quote me parts prices if I say it is a 7001. Someone who owned it previous to me, did a nice job trying to hide that it is gray market, by re-badging it, and putting new tags and stickers, all over it. BUt the S/N is the dead giveaway, as far as the dealer said. They will not work on, nor give any information, regarding gray market tractors.
I have tried to explain this before, But I'll try one more time.
Most if not all B7100's have B7001 on the start of the serial #.
It does not mean it's a B7001.
In fact I just ran your serial # threw Kubota and it's 100% is not a grey. ;)
Your dealer is an Idiot! :eek:

Someone has messed with the pump before, the bottom pressure side of the pump is not the stock/right fitting, so you will be hard pressed to find another pump that will be a direct bolt up /hook up.

Last edited:

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Might have one here: https://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/ as well. Curious as to why you think that the rest of the pump is bad. I just did the seal on the one on my L1500. I ended up buying 3 different seals to get the right one and never would have found the right one without help from this site.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My B7100 (definitely NOT grey) is serial #B7001-XXXXX.
Both of the other two B7100s I have looked at have a serial number starting with the B7001 prefix.
I agree with NIW- your dealer is a taterhaid.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK

Someone has messed with the pump before, the bottom pressure side of the pump is not the stock/right fitting, so you will be hard pressed to find another pump that will be a direct bolt up /hook up.
They must be. Because I was willing once, to have them replace the alternator, and they refused, saying it was gray market, and that was the first I'd ever heard of gray market tractors. They pointed to that very serial number, as their reason.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK

And, it's the reason I have always been adamant that it was gray market, since they refused to work on it. I had no other reference. I may need to talk to Stewart Martin in Muskogee, instead of Gray Brothers in Ft. Smith.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Well, we really hope that it will not need a pump, too. The pump still provides plenty of pressure, for the hydraulic system. It all started, when we were trying to diagnose why we were getting oil pissing out of the blow by tube, and would lose so much hydraulic oil. Once we determined that we were getting hydraulic oil in the crankcase, it was a matter of figuring out how. A local mechanic, said that the only way that could happen, was from the seal, on the hydraulic oil pump. When we looked into it, and saw the exploded view of the pump, and started buying the O-Rings, to put in there. Figuring that if we needed to take it apart, we might as well rebuild it, while we have it apart. Not because anything was telling us it was absolutely necessary, but more for the purpose of not taking it apart, twice.

SharkmanDan

Jun 21, 2015
Evening Shade, OK
Might have one here: https://www.stavros-savva-co-ltd.com.cy/ as well. Curious as to why you think that the rest of the pump is bad. I just did the seal on the one on my L1500. I ended up buying 3 different seals to get the right one and never would have found the right one without help from this site.
I've never thought it was bad. I simply know that it is used, and likely worn, SOME. Maybe not much, but some. If it is going to come off, it seemed like a good idea to rebuild it, since it was going to be off anyway. It's design, shows it to be fairly simple, mechanically. I might run into more problems than I anticipate, but, it's like taking the front pulley system off of the car, and putting the old belts back on. Or replacing the radiator hose, without replacing the clamps. It just seemed like something I don't want to do twice.

Last edited:

cviola2005

Jun 8, 2016
Clarkrange, TN, USA
I found a pump off of a D850 and it looks identical to the pictures you posted and of the pump on my B7100. I'll have to wait til later to post pictures of it. Good news is that it has the hose ends on it, and you should be able to have a hydraulic hose shop fix you up.

I can't find a part number on it though. Any help with that NIW?