L2550DT Part ID

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Hi everyone.

Please help a newbie if you can. I am helping my Brother with his L2550DT, he was replacing the power steering line that goes from I believe the steering box to the block under the pump. He couldn't get two wrenches in there, so he took the fitting out of the block along with the line. When he took the fitting out a valve and spring shot out. Problem is he don't know which way they go back in! I will post a pic of valve, spring, and fitting in the position we believe they go in, if anybody in the know can confirm this we would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, Ben

DSCN2168.jpg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I do believe it's, Fitting, Spring, Valve point down. ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It should be fairly easy to determine the assembly sequence. Does the spring fit into the top of the valve piece? Or does the spring fit over the tapered end of the valve piece? It probably doesn't fit both diameters. Can you see any witness marks on any pieces, to help guide you?

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
The fitting is tapered on that side, seems to fit the valve point well. There is a very slight mark on the tapered end of the valve that seems to fit the tapered end of fitting.

I don't know what the spring would sit against if it went up in the block first.

The spring easily fits into the non tapered side of valve. It also fits over the tapered side of valve, but does not bottom out on the shoulder, only sits on the taper. The spring, to me, does not look like it goes against the fitting, between fitting and valve, but we just don't know!

Not being sure which way the fluid flows, we are afraid to to try it the wrong way and take the chance of causing more problems!

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
This exploded parts diagram may help if the location looks like the one in the red box.

#180 is poppet
#190 is spring
#200 is adjusting screw
#210 is nut
#220 is O ring

Dave

Attachments

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
I certainly appreciate all of your input on this, one question though.

It seems the pics and drawings you are posting is of the steering box, the valve I am dealing with is from a block under/near the pump. The fitting/valve in question has one end of a pressure line screwed into it, the other end does go to the steering box, but the end I am dealing with is on a block, maybe a junction block?, near the steering/hydro pump.

I am not sure if we are all the same page here, will stop after work tomorrow and study the situation so we are not chasing our tails.

Thank you, guys

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I certainly appreciate all of your input on this, one question though.

It seems the pics and drawings you are posting is of the steering box, the valve I am dealing with is from a block under/near the pump. The fitting/valve in question has one end of a pressure line screwed into it, the other end does go to the steering box, but the end I am dealing with is on a block, maybe a junction block?, near the steering/hydro pump.

I am not sure if we are all the same page here, will stop after work tomorrow and study the situation so we are not chasing our tails.

Thank you, guys

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that your Brother has a GST not a DT, because a DT has the PS line come out the top of the pump like this.

Where a GST has it come out the bottom of a filter housing like this:

Now it you note they do not show any valve in the fitting???
Well a little more digging and I do find mention of it in the WSM:

So fitting, spring, and point up on the valve into the filter housing.

Attachments

Last edited:

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Wolfman I do believe you are on to something there, is does have the GST trans, I thought the DT meant it was four wheel drive(dual traction?).

He now says he's pretty sure the spring came out first, and the valve second. I believe you answered the next question as to what way the valve faces, tapered end goes in.

I did take picture of the spot in question, will post it just for giggles, and to make we are on the same page.

But, I'm betting you are on the right track Wolfman.

DSCN2171.jpg

Last edited:

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Guys, thank you thus far.
Wolfman, thanks for the pics. I've taken the one you sent and highlighted the area in red that I believe is were our line screws in, the local dealers have been no help so far.
You gentlemen here have helped more than the dealers have.
It seems that no pictures or manuals I can find show exactly what we need.
Myself am not above putting this thing in and trying like you said, just didn't want to cause any collateral damage.

L2550 GST Filter bracket.JPG1.jpg

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
That whole filter manifold comes off pretty easily so you can see what you're doing. Replace the gaskets 070 and o-ring 020. While you're at it... on that line labeled 010, there's an o-ring on that line, under that plate with the 6 bolts that wears and tends to leak. The line swivels in the plate. There's no part number for it ... I had to measure it. I have the same set up on my L3650 w/ old style power steering.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Guys, thank you thus far.
Wolfman, thanks for the pics. I've taken the one you sent and highlighted the area in red that I believe is were our line screws in, the local dealers have been no help so far.
You gentlemen here have helped more than the dealers have.
It seems that no pictures or manuals I can find show exactly what we need.
Myself am not above putting this thing in and trying like you said, just didn't want to cause any collateral damage.

View attachment 43533
There are 2 filters on that housing, one small one large.
But I'm pretty sure the port you are pointing to is the suction line connection point.

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Everyone, especially NI Wolfman,

I have to say I was wrong, and Wolfman was right. We put that valve and spring in the way you suggested and we have power steering, it worked!
It's hard because the tractor is not here, so I can't just go out and look at it before I post anything, plus we are by far not tractor mechanics.

Listen guys not to be long winded here, but I want to give the run down how we arrived here.

The whole started with the GST shifter leak(the o-rings on the shaft). Through some searching here on the forum we figured the problem and replaced the o-rings, etc. From moving pipes, linkage, lines, etc around it caused one of the rusty spots on a steering line(tractors been outside it's whole life) to give up and leak.

When My Brother went to replace the line, he couldn't get it off without taking that fitting off as well, that's when the spring and valve popped out, hence the reason for my original post.

Now the issue is and probably was since we "fixed" the GST leak, is the tractor won't move except for 4th and 8th gears, I'm betting we got something out of whack inside the side plate. We made sure the 'dot' was up on the shaft, don't know were else to go from here.
Anyone ever heard of this before? Any ideas? I promise too listen to your advice, and to not bother anybody for at least a few days after we fix this darned thing.;)

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing your knowledge and advice.
Big Ben

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you just pull the shifter cover off or the whole transmission side cover?

Every time I hear it only works in High gears the shifter turns to be 180 degrees out, take it off and spin it half way.

Then if that's not the issue you need to take a pressure reading on the GST input pressure.

Let us know what you find. ;)

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Pulled the whole trans cover. He's pretty sure he got the forks lined up.

Spin the shifter half way or the shaft on trans?

It wouln't move at all, then we took shifter cover off and found the dot was down on shaft, moved it to up and now it moves, but only 4th and 8th. All the rest when you let out clutch it wants to stall.

We can play with the shift cover some more, maybe we missed something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pulled the whole trans cover. He's pretty sure he got the forks lined up.

Spin the shifter half way or the shaft on trans?

It wouldn't move at all, then we took shifter cover off and found the dot was down on shaft, moved it to up and now it moves, but only 4th and 8th. All the rest when you let out clutch it wants to stall.

We can play with the shift cover some more, maybe we missed something.
AWWW that's not good, that doesn't sound like the shifter.
Sounds like he doesn't have the high low forks seated in the shifting collar, it's tricky getting everything lined up.
Also did he change out all O-rings for the valves?
There is like 95 some O-rings in there, so that alone can be super tricky to make sure they all stay in place.
When I got mine someone had bolted the side cover on without lining up the High low shift valve first, made some pretty nasty dents in the side cover valve plate.

Last edited:

Big Ben

Equipment
L2550DT
Jun 10, 2019
NJ
Wolfman, you should change your name to; THE MAN, because you are THE MAN! :D

It was just what you said, shift forks weren't in the collars. It did seem to go back together kind of too easy the first time. Also the the linkage for the forward/reverse (shuttle?) selector was not in quite right.

All good now though, 8 speeds forward, 8 speeds reverse, and no leaks! yet.

Thank you to all of you who have offered info to us, you are greatly appreciated by my brother and I, and thanks for taking it easy on a new guy. The tractor is around 30 years old, so I'm sure we'll be talking again sometime.

Thanks!