L225 rear axle halfshaft removal questions.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Good evening all, I hope you're all well etc , I've not been around on the forum for a while due to way too much work etc and not really having any issues with my great old orange beast's, anway I do have a small problem now and could really use some help if possible.

Now then, my trusty old L225 (2wd) has developed a problem with the rear left hand axle half shaft, it starting clonking a bit a few days back and then started leaking oil a fair bit, I've put a container under it to catch the fluid but I suspect it will continue to leak until below the level of the oil seal.

As it does drive ok I think that maybe its just a case of the bearing has worn a fair bit and probably starting to break up and with the excessive play caused by that the oil seal has worn down , anyway how much do I need to strip down to get that half shaft out to change the bearing and oil seal, any help would be greatfully received guys, I do have a genuine workshop manual for it but to be honest guys it is not really that clear on how much or the sequence of removal of parts , I don't really want to strip down more than needed at the moment as I need to use it for a the rest of the summer.

rgds
rob

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It's actually fairly simple to get into it. It's a matter of removing the wheel. Then the bolts on the hub. Then the shaft the wheel attaches too will come out with the case.

Here's a thread that should give you and idea of what your getting into. This is on my l1501, but is the same for the l185. And should be really similar for your model, and the tractors manufactured in that time period.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23525

If you have to go further in to where the brakes are by the transmission case, then you'll need to remove the fender to get it out of the way.

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
thanks for the reply , just had a good read through your thread but after having another look at my L225 back axle , it is different to yours.
the axle shaft comes directly out of the casing and mounts directly onto wheel, the brake assembly is also mounted directly infront of the axle shaft in the same casing which is part of the rear axle main housing, there are bolts holding a small plate around the shaft onto the main casing but looks like the whole left hand side casing inc brake section will need to be removed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
thanks for the reply , just had a good read through your thread but after having another look at my L225 back axle , it is different to yours.
the axle shaft comes directly out of the casing and mounts directly onto wheel, the brake assembly is also mounted directly infront of the axle shaft in the same casing which is part of the rear axle main housing, there are bolts holding a small plate around the shaft onto the main casing but looks like the whole left hand side casing inc brake section will need to be removed.
That's a bummer. I have the work shop manual for the l175 at home, which covers a couple other models as well. But no access to it while at work or I would have referenced it :rolleyes:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rob,
I'll send you the link for the WSM for that tractor, it should help you out.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Rob - my L225 had a cracked 4-bolt flange at the wheel bearing that leaked. The axle housing came away as an assembly with the brake for that side. There's a nut on the inner end of the axle that allows removal of the flange, axle, bearing, & seal. It's some wrenching but its doable. Take care,Dick B

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Rob - my L225 had a cracked 4-bolt flange at the wheel bearing that leaked. The axle housing came away as an assembly with the brake for that side. There's a nut on the inner end of the axle that allows removal of the flange, axle, bearing, & seal. It's some wrenching but its doable. Take care,Dick B
can you explain further please. ...

I know it's been awhile

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
can you explain further please. ...

I know it's been awhile
Hi - attached parts diagram is from Kub's website. The whole axle housing comes away in one chunk. The big nut 7 holds it together. If the brake doesn't need work it can stay assembled as I remember. The link in Post #2 above has good pictures of a similar model's internals. Dick B

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Rob - my L225 had a cracked 4-bolt flange at the wheel bearing that leaked. .... Take care,Dick B
to repair the crack did you have it welded or??

Hi - attached parts diagram is from Kub's website. The whole axle housing comes away in one chunk. The big nut 7 holds it together.....
Thanks.... could not see #7 but found it after blowing it up further on Kubota's site. Makes ton more since now. Mucho Thanks.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
I ordered a new flange - I've never had confidence in welded cast iron - usually full of micro-cracks that link up sooner or later. It's a pretty heavily-loaded part. There are three versions of it depending on S/N so its had some design attention since the original. Dick B