Hydraulic dump trailer to haul kubota B2650

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
What size trailer should I get? I am looking at 6'x12' and 7'x14'. I only have a half ton Chevrolet 5.3L truck so I am nervous to get too big of trailer. I want the tractor to be able to fit completely in the trailer. I have the dimensions of the tractor but not tractor with loader.

I just bought the tractor and I will pick it up in about 3 days after they get my grapple attachment hydraulics installed. Oh I forgot that I will also have to put the implements in the trailer. 60" Box scraper and grapple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I am not sure a half-ton is rated for the all-up tow weight of a Kubota with loader and implements plus weight of trailer. What does your OM say for your towing capacity on your truck?

A buddy picked up my used L3800 with FEL and three implements with his Ford 350 diesel and it handled the load nicely at 50mph.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Right up to that last statement - you were fine with the 14 footer......

My friend - it is time to jump to 16' double axle with brakes on at least one axle.

Unless you are going up mountains - the problem will not be with your engine but rather with your brakes!:)

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
If you have a 5' grapple, then I would suggest a 7' width on the trailer. 5' grapple or bucket, and you will only have 6" clearance on each side with a 6' width.

Get brakes on both axles of the trailer. It will be a lot easier to stop. I had brakes on 1 axle of a tandem axle trailer when I had a BX25. It was hard enough to stop that load. Your B2650 is somewhat heavier that a BX.

Your Chevy with the 5.3 will be fine pulling that load. My F150 5.0 with the B2650 on an 18' landscape trailer is a good setup. My biggest concern with the 14' trailer would be your ability to balance your load.

alansz400

Equipment
B7500. FEL, Piranha tooth bar, box scraper, post hole digger, 3 pt. bucket
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I bought a dump trailer a few years ago. Its kind of a love hate relationship. Its great for fire wood, dirt, gravel, scrap, and mulch. Its high, like things will be real bad high if something goes wrong loading and unloading. Every time I load and unload I am extra careful. Its heavy, real heavy. Loaded with dirt to the 10k limit power and brakes are both very important. Mine is 12 foot long and I can put my box blade under the bucket and still close the back doors. But its tight. I sold my 16 foot open trailer but I still can use it anytime I want. I would much rather pull the flat trailer and load and unload the tractor on it. Its only a foot off the ground unlike the dump the feels like its 3 feet high. You will for sure need more then a 1/2 ton truck.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I have the b2620 and just this weekend loaded it on a trailer for the first time as I have been thinking about getting a trailer myself. I borrowed a 16' trailer from work to test out loading and to see how my trailblazer would pull it with loader and bush hog.
I was hoping I could get by with a 14' dual axle but with a 60" bush hog I can't get all the way up on a 16', the mower deck hangs off the back of the trailer about a ft., and the tail wheel even further.
I have the quick attach loader bucket and a Thumb grapple mounted to it, so I detach from the bucket and had to remove the thumb to put up against the front rail and pull up tight to the bucket with the loader arms above it to get the mower deck all the way up on the trailer.
With a box blade, tiller, or even a 48" mower 16' is plenty but full and you should be fine.
I may think about trading this rotary cutter for a flail mower, either will work well on what I need to mow and that will allow me to load a little more over the tires and relieve some tongue weight.

Attachments

alansz400

Equipment
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
Chaining the tractor down in the dump trailer is a pain also. Mine has welded in tie downs in the corners but it's tough to get to them and you have to walk around the other end of the tractor or crawl over to get to the other side. Much easier with a open trailer.

I am a chevy fan but a 5.3 in a half ton is going to get a work out if you have any hills. The guy from work pulled his camper with a Tahoe and last summer in PA the hills kicked its ass. First gear and the temp. gauge climbing. He bought a F250 last fall with a 6.0.

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
It looks like I will need to just get the dump bed for hauling stuff and plan to not travel with the tractor until I get some more HP. By doing this I can save some money and not have to buy a big trailer. I already have a 6x8 landscape trailer but I am sick of shoveling gravel out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alansz400

Equipment
Oct 26, 2013
Loudonville OHIO
I live in a small town with only one small rental place and they didn't have a dump for rent. If you can rent a trailer a few times a year that might be a better way to go unless you need a dump trailer more then a few times a year. $5000 to buy and $50 a year to put plates on it. Mine lives outside and is starting to look bad. I think its 3500lbs empty. If you do buy I will say the scissor lift has been great. Little slow at the start but hasn't failed to dump anything yet.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Burtonbr,
Your putting too much weight in front of the axles on the trailer!
You need either a longer trailer or ditch the mower.

igizzzmo1,
A dump trailer behind a 1/2 ton is really pushing it, your just going to do damage to the truck.
A flatbed will pull better, but loading it with too many implements is going to again cause you truck grief.

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
[/URL]

Here's my Bx1800 with a King Kutter 4' attached. I do have to remove the rear drag wheel and bracket to make it fit. Trailer is 7'x12'.

If I had to do it over I would get a 14 min possibly a 16. Mine weighs about 3600lbs empty, next you need to get the weight of your machine. Now a days people pull big loads with smaller trucks, 150/1500 trucks etc, I've never been concerned with what a truck will pull more what it will stop and how it will handle the load. It's nice to have a heavy truck that doesn't get pushed around by the trailer and load. Even with good tandem trailer brakes towing heavy with a smaller truck is a white knuckle experience even more so with heavy cross winds.
Dump trailers even low profile can be steep but you can park downhill and slightly raise the dump to lessen the ramp angle.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Really? Posting green here?

Kidding aside, open the driver door and look at the sticker on the pillar, the number after GCVWR. I go over scales axle by axle to figure out what I have where. Your pin or rear axle weight is the most important.

RyeThomas

Dec 23, 2015
Northern Virginia
Really? Posting green here?

Kidding aside, open the driver door and look at the sticker on the pillar, the number after GCVWR. I go over scales axle by axle to figure out what I have where. Your pin or rear axle weight is the most important.
Hey I'll buy from anyone for the right price, my local Kubota dealer is terrible. I gave them several opportunities, then I drove 4.5 hrs each way to get a tractor. Heck I won't even buy parts from them.
But yeah don't look at the green stuff in the pic focus on the little orange BX in the trailer, lol.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I purchased a 7x14 dump trailer specifically to double as an equipment trailer to put my 2650 into. But Im also pulling it with a 2500 Ram 6.4.

Trailer empty weighs just shy of 4000 pounds so its not really 1/2 ton territory.

14' is perfect length with the loader and nothing attached to the quick hitch. I do intend to install supports so I can raise the loader and pull the tractor all the way forward but its not a necessity at the moment.

aeronutt

Equipment
Z725 Mower, MX5200 w/FEL, Stihl 660, assorted others...
Jan 7, 2016
Omaha NE
My experience towing 6500 lbs with a 5.3 Chevy 1500 is what lead to buying a D-Max 2500HD. The 1500 was rated to tow 7200, but that seemed rather optimistic. Even holding the speed down to 50 and using the tow/haul mode with O/D locked out, the transmission couldn't hold a gear and the engine had to turn 5K RPMs to keep from loosing speed on the hills. Keep in mind, we're talking about minor rolling hills, not mountains. Braking and steering was mushy and scary in traffic. If I only towed such a load once per year, I might have kept the 1500. Since I got the 2500HD, I also upgraded to a gooseneck trailer and regularly tow 14K with less drama than the 6500 lbs caused for the 1500 truck. I've never wished my 2500HD truck had less capacity.

Regardless of truck, don't even consider towing tandem axle trailers without brakes on both axles. They only have to save you from hitting something once to be worth every penny.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Love my drop axle 10k gvw dump trailer, I use it to move around my 6000lb Takeuchi as well as my L3710 without drama or issues. I have had as much as 12k behind my DMax 2500HD without much drama, however a 5th wheel would be better than the pintle I'm using now. It's all about the air springs....makes the truck ride SO nicely with some serious tongue weight.

I have no complaints about using my dump trailer to tow my machine...I happen to have a 7200gvw dual axle beavertail car trailer at my disposal but I use my dump for all of my heavy equipment moving.

I will be honest that a 1500 is not a good tow rig for anything more than 5000lb loads, and even then only local and short trips.

I had a 1994 K1500 with a cammed and tuned 350, 5spd manual and 3.42's. With air springs that truck towed very well, however I went thru three differentials in a few years. The "low" first gear could get any load moving but the differential couldn't handle it. One time I blew the teeth off the ring gear, the second time I imploded the carrier assembly. There is a reason they put the 14 bolt diffs under the 2500hd's and 3500's.....

Attachments

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Your truck weighs about 5500, you could safely tow with Weight Distribution hitch (highly recommended) at 6000 pounds. Stated before dump trailers are heavy, say 3500. Your naked tractor with just you in the seat is at 2500 lbs. You are already at the safe limit. Now add loader/bucket, grapple and other stuff you are way over. It's been said you will kill your truck and it's true, but I'm worried about you and others on the road. Not to mention DOT will have a fieldday with you...

curly84

Mar 2, 2016
corry pa.
My b7800 in my trailer taking to the woods to skid tops for fire wood last fall. Trailer is 6'x10'8" no brakes on trailer truck 2007 GMC 1/2 ton standard cab 4.8 auto no problems. uploadfromtaptalk1456964127882.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1456964142980.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My b7800 in my trailer taking to the woods to skid tops for fire wood last fall. Trailer is 6'x10'8" no brakes on trailer truck 2007 GMC 1/2 ton standard cab 4.8 auto no problems.
WOW! :eek:
You are literally breaking every rule in the book, wow. :rolleyes:
I wish you luck and hope you have a big insurance policy! ;)

curly84

Mar 2, 2016
corry pa.
Think my trailer or truck is not big enough? I have hauled 2 1/2 ton of stone in it .with a ford 1/2 ton v6 5speed ,trailer has a Mobil home axle 12 ply tires 2500lb springs on each side. Have had this trailer since 1990 I know what it can do.[emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk