Things you'd never seen

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I gave a buddy a ride to drop off his diesel pickup to be serviced before he heads to Alaska.
The turbo diesel folks are having a new shop built. As I waited for my buddy.
The carpenters and a kubota skid steer were setting truses with a retractable pole on the front of the skidsteer. I watched them do two in no time. What a cool tool for contractors.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah, there's been a few folks showing how they set trusses with their tractors, SSL, etc.

Had some pretty ingenious booms set up for the task.

Pretty neat.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The topic is: Things you'd never seen. How about the counter weight? Ever seen one like that?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
My father and his 2 brothers built a 75’ x 200’ freestall barn in 1962. The main trusses were 60’ wide. They set them with a IH 350 tractor with loader and homemade boom. We built several barns after that using a boom in a payloader.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought a boom pole from CAL (CAI) a few years ago to put up steel trusses. I've designed the trusses and will be welding them together this spring/summer. The boom is rated for 1,800lb at the end.

Here's the boom pole on the MX, but I'll be using it on the M6060 given the increased elevation and lifting capacity.

bp_07.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The topic is: Things you'd never seen. How about the counter weight? Ever seen one like that?
How ‘bout THIS?

IMG_2716.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Those are the economy trusses.
In a North Idaho snow load environment, those "trusses" are a very bad idea!
Design may(?) be OK, but connectors are UNSAFE!
Perhaps..... OK in Tucson?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Tractor boom is a practical/good idea!
Homemade trusses!
Terrible idea..... using SMALL squares of chip board as truss plates!
Likely would NOT meet code anywhere!
In a North Idaho snow load environment, those "trusses" are a very bad idea!
Design may(?) be OK, but connectors are UNSAFE!
Perhaps..... OK in Tucson?
My house has been picked over by many a person, most just do it in person and not from 3000 miles away.
Well smarty pants, you don't know as much as you think you know.

My house is 100% custom built to be super efficient, super strong, and super high tech.
If i told you what it cost me to build and what the house appraised out at, and what it would sell for, it would give you a heart attack!

Yes the trusses are hand made, as is the rest of my house, but they are 120 PSI 2x6 top and bottom cord engineered trusses.
I have the stamped engineered blueprints.
Laser measured deflection was less than 1/4" across 40 feet clear span with 6 feet of wet snow on them.
120 psi is twice what is required for our heavy snow load.

Oh and FYI, I also build and remodeled quite a few homes in Phoenix, Scotsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek, and Paradise Valley, AZ and their trusses can have more load than snow load specs, because of heavy roofing coverings like stone, tile and slate.

They are also built with better lumber than what a truss manufacturer would use.
All tamarack / larch that is grade stamped Select GOLD or also know as Select structural (best of the best) .
And yes the tie plates are OSB, that are construction adhesive, 2 1/2" stainless stapled, and ring shank nailed.
There are a ton of articles and engineering studies done on this type of truss manufacturing
They do not fail over time, or under extreme weight shifts.
They also do not fail over time like small stamped metal plates.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My house has been picked over by many a person, most just do it in person and not from 3000 miles away.
Well smarty pants, you don't know as much as you think you know.

My house is 100% custom built to be super efficient, super strong, and super high tech.
If i told you what it cost me to build and what the house appraised out at, and what it would sell for, it would give you a heart attack!

Yes the trusses are hand made, as is the rest of my house, but they are 120 PSI 2x6 top and bottom cord engineered trusses.
I have the stamped engineered blueprints.
Laser measured deflection was less than 1/4" across 40 feet clear span with 6 feet of wet snow on them.
120 psi is twice what is required for our heavy snow load.

Oh and FYI, I also build and remodeled quite a few homes in Phoenix, Scotsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek, and Paradise Valley, AZ and their trusses can have more load than snow load specs, because of heavy roofing coverings like stone, tile and slate.

They are also built with better lumber than what a truss manufacturer would use.
All tamarack / larch that is grade stamped Select GOLD or also know as Select structural (best of the best) .
And yes the tie plates are OSB, that are construction adhesive, 2 1/2" stainless stapled, and ring shank nailed.
There are a ton of articles and engineering studies done on this type of truss manufacturing
They do not fail over time, or under extreme weight shifts.
They also do not fail over time like small stamped metal plates.
Hummm.......
"smarty pants"?????
Insult intended !!
I thought that sorta stuff was not acceptable here.
Silly me..... .

The plans may be great!
The lumber, may be fantastic!
Perhaps you have previously built a ladder to the moon.
Stamped/approved truss plates meet nationwide codes.
Is the code so different in North Idaho, as to allow undersized homemade chipboard connectors..... that place where tar paper is king?

Last edited:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Lol...your to old win a pissing contest Fried.
I have several collar ties in my cathedral ceiling but I made them out of 3/16" stainless plate. No rusting.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
the building I used to own was 40' wide, 72 ' long. Trusses clear spanned the 40' and were/are 12' on center. Built back in 1963/4. Building is still square and true. Designing trusses on 2' centers has to be 'child's play', though maybe good wood doesn't grow on tress anymore ?

the new house up the road is single floor yet the roof is 2 stories tall !! I counted 9 or 10 '4by8s' . Have no idea why the owner didn't use 'floor and roof' type trusses. at least HAVE the potential to ADD a second floor up there.....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
the building I used to own was 40' wide, 72 ' long. Trusses clear spanned the 40' and were/are 12' on center. Built back in 1963/4. Building is still square and true. Designing trusses on 2' centers has to be 'child's play', though maybe good wood doesn't grow on tress anymore ?

the new house up the road is single floor yet the roof is 2 stories tall !! I counted 9 or 10 '4by8s' . Have no idea why the owner didn't use 'floor and roof' type trusses. at least HAVE the potential to ADD a second floor up there.....
Most/many DIY building projects are not to code.
Electrical is even worse!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'code'... yeah, there's a joke.....

The city I'm in , demanded the timber framer bore a hole down the length(12-16') of every member of every bent in a timber framed structure and BOLT them together......
I'd love to know how 'they' would bore a hole down the center in a 16' long , 12by12 of pine !!!!
heck, I'd pay real money to see them do it, even just ONCE !

Reminds me of the recent show about how ancient Chinese pagodas have withstood the test of time, 100s of years yet newer buildings, 'made to code' , fall down and go boom when Mother Nature shakes the Earth.

Electrical 'code' is weird. Look up the specs for the new 'arc fault' breakers that must be used in Ontario,well except for 'critical' circuits.....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
'code'... yeah, there's a joke.....

The city I'm in , demanded the timber framer bore a hole down the length(12-16') of every member of every bent in a timber framed structure and BOLT them together......
I'd love to know how 'they' would bore a hole down the center in a 16' long , 12by12 of pine !!!!
heck, I'd pay real money to see them do it, even just ONCE !

Reminds me of the recent show about how ancient Chinese pagodas have withstood the test of time, 100s of years yet newer buildings, 'made to code' , fall down and go boom when Mother Nature shakes the Earth.

Electrical 'code' is weird. Look up the specs for the new 'arc fault' breakers that must be used in Ontario,well except for 'critical' circuits.....
I know from personal experience, that in 2006, Nova Scotia did require "arc fault" breakers in all sleeping spaces.
Apparently the USA now requires them in other areas as well, for new construction.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know from personal experience, that in 2006, Nova Scotia did require "arc fault" breakers in all sleeping spaces.
Apparently the USA now requires them in other areas as well, for new construction.
The "arc fault" breakers are great until you want to use an appliance, such as a hair dryer.