L260 Questions

Racer X

Equipment
GR2110 ~ 1948 Ford 8N ~ 1948 Adams Motor Grader ~ Kubota L260
Apr 28, 2017
The Great Pacific Northwet
So, I managed to stay loyal to orange, in spite of my trials and tribulations with the GR2110.

Picked up an L260 yesterday. In mostly good condition, considering it is about 45 years old.

I'm hoping somone here can get me going in the right direction regarding some of the little things that I can't work out on my own.

Like this. There is a broken lever on the left rear of 3 point lift section. I have been through the service manual and searched the innerwebs, and can't find any info about it. What is the lever supposed to do?

L260 Mystery Lever by Racer, on Flickr

I also need some parts. A tachometer cable and sheath. A didpstick for the governor. A replacement seat cover.

What are my best options for sourcing these items?

Thanks in advance.

L260 Governor Case Dipstick by Racer, on Flickr

L260 Governor/Injection Pump by Racer, on Flickr

L260 Seat by Racer, on Flickr

L260 Seat by Racer, on Flickr

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's supposed to be a lever for PTO speed change.

Only real good source for parts is used or Kubota, places like Colemans, Messicks, Or Golden Eagle.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Congratulations, My L260 is a good little work horse.

Racer X

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
It's supposed to be a lever for PTO speed change.
I see. Must be for the high and low PTO selector.

So I could simply drive the roll pin out, weld a bit of 1/4" cold roll round stock to it, reinstall and be good to go then.

Only real good source for parts is used or Kubota, places like Colemans, Messicks, Or Golden Eagle.
So I'm starting learn, thanks.

I think I've been spoiled by the support the older Fords get. There are a couple of great aftermarket suppliers, who are sourcing reasonably good reproduction parts. I haven't had the need to go there for a few years, but my local New Holland shop used to have lots of the same stuff on hand.

And there is a nice little online community that trades and sells parts from dead and dying machines to help keep the others going.

Racer X

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
Congratulations, My L260 is a good little work horse.
Thanks David.

I see there is another guy here who has one also.

It is indeed a unique machine. The torque is nice, I saw a document earlier today that said something around 50ftlbs or so.

I've worked on 2 cylinder diesel engines before, albeit a little larger, and a different configuration. Detroit Diesel engines were available in 2 cylinder configurations, 2-53 and 2-71, 53 cubic inches per cylinder and 71 cubic inches per cylinder respectively.

And they are 2 stroke engines. Sound like they are screaming, but they idle slower than 4 strokes, and only wind up to something like 1,600 to 1,800 rpm. And often they are supercharged and/or turbocharged.

I looked at a John Deere to buy a few years ago, that had a mid sized tractor that had the 2-53 in it. When the guy found out I was going to work it he refused to sell it to me. Said it was too valuable as a collector.

Oh well, I don't need any green and yellow in my barn.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
. When the guy found out I was going to work it he refused to sell it to me. Said it was too valuable as a collector.

Thats just plain silly, if you want it to sit ,OK if you want to work it OK. Once I have the cash in hand I dont care what your going to do with it.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Yes its for the PTO gear control, its actually a 4 speed PTO on the L260. If you are only going to run 520, you are fine. The two levers need to be pointing to each other to get 520.

You will want to get an overrunning clutch for your PTO if you don't already have one.

Also, change out the oil in the injection pump and governor housing if you haven't already. It's an odd beast, but it doesn't get lubrication from the engine. Just use motor oil.

The biggest weak link on these is the steering gearbox. the get water intrusion then will freeze and crack the housing in the winter. I would recommend draining the fluid and filling with a 50/50 mix of gear oil and bearing grease. Almost a pudding mixture.

Messicks has been great to get parts from. Western KY Parts sometimes has used available.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Racer X

Equipment
Apr 28, 2017
You will want to get an overrunning clutch for your PTO if you don't already have one.
On my list, as I will leave the one on my 8N on it.

I was disappointed to learn that this machine doesn't have a live PTO.

Also, change out the oil in the injection pump and governor housing if you haven't already. It's an odd beast, but it doesn't get lubrication from the engine. Just use motor oil.
Yes, that is different to be sure.

The PO had recently drained, cleaned and refilled the governor and the injector pump.

Now to get another dispstick to cover that hole . . . . . . . . . .

The biggest weak link on these is the steering gearbox. the get water intrusion then will freeze and crack the housing in the winter. I would recommend draining the fluid and filling with a 50/50 mix of gear oil and bearing grease. Almost a pudding mixture.
Cornhead grease.

Use it in the steering gear on my 8N.

Messicks has been great to get parts from. Western KY Parts sometimes has used available.
I've gotten a few items from Messicks for my GR2110.

I looked at Western KY and their web page is grossly outdated. Looks like the last time it was updated was 2103. I suppose a phone call might be in order.

Thanks for the tips, and I will!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I tried to move that lever with some waterpump pliers and it won't budge. Doesn't even wiggle.

Any suggestions for what to look for?
It's very likely sized up from non use.
You might have to pull it apart to get it working.
But from what others say if it's already in the proper position then why bother as you really don't have any other need than 540 RPM.

weaselbran

Equipment
L260
May 3, 2024
Alvarado, TX
Yes its for the PTO gear control, its actually a 4 speed PTO on the L260. If you are only going to run 520, you are fine. The two levers need to be pointing to each other to get 520.

I can drain the oil from the governor housing with the drain in the bottom. How do I drain the oil from the pump. There is nor drain an the 2 allen head plugs are extremely tight?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can drain the oil from the governor housing with the drain in the bottom. How do I drain the oil from the pump. There is nor drain an the 2 allen head plugs are extremely tight?
Easiest, suction out of fill port.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a member that has a trac graveyard in California that has used parts and refurbished parts.

@007kubotaguy is user name on this forum.

Click on the orange name and then start a private message conversation with him.