Something Smelling Hot

zman8537

Equipment
Mowing, Snow Plowing, Hauling
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Was out working with my new L4600HST toaday dragging some logs down to my fire pit and something smells hot after dragging one 6-8 foot log. It seemed like it was losing power too and I heard some noise back around the rear end area every once in a while. My tractor doesn't even have 6 hours on it yet, I hope I am not having issues already. Any thoughts or anything that I need to check??

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The other to check is to make sure your HST is not in too high of a range for the job being performed.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Also, are you keeping in 4wd.

How many rpm's are you running.
I did have it in 4WD since I was going thru a snowy field and I did bump up the RPM's since it feel like it was losing power, probably up near 3000 RPMs.
I had it in low range and I am pretty sure that I had the parking brake off as well but I will check it out today.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
For your tractors longevity, you shouldn't have been pushing it so hard!
I think it even says in the manual not to exceed 1/2 it's RPM until it's broke in, and I don't think 6hrs constitutes broke in.
It's very possible that you could have done some damage to either the motor, rear end, or HST by pushing it so hard.
I would check all fluid levels and check discolorization and smell. If it looks or smells burnt then something is wrong.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
For your tractors longevity, you shouldn't have been pushing it so hard!
I think it even says in the manual not to exceed 1/2 it's RPM until it's broke in, and I don't think 6hrs constitutes broke in.
It's very possible that you could have done some damage to either the motor, rear end, or HST by pushing it so hard.
I would check all fluid levels and check discolorization and smell. If it looks or smells burnt then something is wrong.
That is not what I wanted to hear but I didn't think that I was pushing it that hard but I dont know. The logs were probably a couple hundred pounds that I was pulling which I wouldnt have thought that it was too much. So if thats the case I should just run it aroung for how many hours not doing anything but driving around???

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is not what I wanted to hear but I didn't think that I was pushing it that hard but I dont know. The logs were probably a couple hundred pounds that I was pulling which I wouldnt have thought that it was too much. So if thats the case I should just run it aroung for how many hours not doing anything but driving around???
It's not the pulling that's the problem it's the RPM's that are the problem, Keep the RPM's down at 1500 or under and don't run it at the same RPM's for any length of time. Do that for I think the first 50 hours.

If it gives you anymore issues take it back to the dealer as it will be under warranty and you do want to get the most use out of your tractor for as long as possible.;)

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
It's not the pulling that's the problem it's the RPM's that are the problem, Keep the RPM's down at 1500 or under and don't run it at the same RPM's for any length of time. Do that for I think the first 50 hours.

If it gives you anymore issues take it back to the dealer as it will be under warranty and you do want to get the most use out of your tractor for as long as possible.;)
But to even cut grass you need to have the RPM's up over that RPM to get the proper PTO speed dont you ?

CFDWheeler

Aug 26, 2013
Grant Co, Ky
Keep the RPM's down at 1500 or under and don't run it at the same RPM's for any length of time. Do that for I think the first 50 hours.
Yeah right, first 50 hrs at UNDER 1500 rpms, sure...

Not flaming here, but can you or anyone else on here honestly tell me that the first 50 hrs on your tractor were all under 1500 rpm ?

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
Yeah right, first 50 hrs at UNDER 1500 rpms, sure...

Not flaming here, but can you or anyone else on here honestly tell me that the first 50 hrs on your tractor were all under 1500 rpm ?
I agree, if that is the case then all the new tractors that Kubota sells should have the 50 required hours on the tractor with their so called break-in requirements. I think that to purchase a new tractor and to have to baby it for the 1st 50 hours is a ;ittle ridiculous. Just my opinion but I don't think it makes sense. So if a farmer goes and buys a new big Kubota or JD or any other brand you are telling me that they won't work them for 50 hours without going over 1500 RPM? that ust doesn't seem believable to me.

CFDWheeler

Aug 26, 2013
Grant Co, Ky
From my observations, on this forum only, my tractor is larger than the vast majority of the active users present here, (but not all, of course). The guidelines may be different for the smaller models, so excuse my ignorance.... While it is still in its 50 hr break in period, I would estimate that 70% of my hours have been over 1500 rpm thus far, mowing, tilling, etc. Neither the dealer nor my operators manual tells me to run under 1500 rpm for the first 50 hrs.

With that being said, being in 4wd was not the issue IMO, according to the conditions you were using it. As a previous user posted, be sure you weren't in too high of a gear for the HST and work being done. Also, check your fluids.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
From my observations, on this forum only, my tractor is larger than the vast majority of the active users present here, (but not all, of course). The guidelines may be different for the smaller models, so excuse my ignorance.... While it is still in its 50 hr break in period, I would estimate that 70% of my hours have been over 1500 rpm thus far, mowing, tilling, etc. Neither the dealer nor my operators manual tells me to run under 1500 rpm for the first 50 hrs.

With that being said, being in 4wd was not the issue IMO, according to the conditions you were using it. As a previous user posted, be sure you weren't in too high of a gear for the HST and work being done. Also, check your fluids.
I was running in low range. I will recheck all my fluids tomorrow and run it around a little and see what happens. I am a little concerned at this point but I guess that is why I have a warranty.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well I was wrong on the 1500RPM's for 50hrs, that will teach me to reply on cold meds!:eek:

It just says not to run the tractor at full speed for the first 100hrs.

Well 3000RPM is cranking that baby right up there at top speed IMHO!
The rated is only 2600 RPM and 540 PTO is 2475.:rolleyes:

But hey you bought it you can treat it anyway you want! I was just stating IMHO why it was smelling or running hot.

Break in period.jpg

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Running at close to 3000rpm is enough to make a hot smell on a new machine. In two years I have never had my L3800 that high. :eek:

Manual says not to operate at full throttle for the first 50 hours. Use enough rpm for the job, extra rpm just burns more fuel and makes that hot smell. :cool:

540 pto rpm is not always needed or wanted for mowing.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
My manual says to keep rpm's under 75% of max during break in period. (Different HP different max rpm's) my little bx25 max is 3,200 and I ran under 2,600 for the first 50 hrs, backhoe and FEL all summer long. No problems with ability of machine to do the work I néeded it to do.

I was wondering if you were straining your machine, sounds like not. Can you isolate the area that seems to be overheating, engine, trans/hyd, etc.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The 540 PTO mark on the tach isn't full throttle , but the engine is certainly turning up,,,,,I bush hogged for many hours at 540 in my first 10-20 hrs..I think the manual says 'vary' the speed within the break in period. And I did. I'm not a mechanic but one can't be expected to ride around the yard and look pretty for 50 hrs before 'using' the tractor.... my 2 cents..

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
During break in, running around at too low of RPM for too long can be as bad as running it at max throttle. Don't be afraid to work it, just don't over work it and don't run it at the same RPM for the break in period. Working it makes sure the rings seat properly.

zman8537

Equipment
Sep 8, 2013
Chicora, PA
The 540 PTO mark on the tach isn't full throttle , but the engine is certainly turning up,,,,,I bush hogged for many hours at 540 in my first 10-20 hrs..I think the manual says 'vary' the speed within the break in period. And I did. I'm not a mechanic but one can't be expected to ride around the yard and look pretty for 50 hrs before 'using' the tractor.... my 2 cents..
OK after going out today and checking and smelling fluids everything seems OK. After starting the tractor and looking at the Tach I was not running any higher than the 540 PTO mark which is around the 2600 RPM range not the 3000 that I was thinking where the 540 PTO mark was. I ran it around for about a half hour give or take and everything seems OK with no smell of any kind or being hot or anything. I will keep everyone posted. So I am kinda thinking that it was maybe just the first time that I got things hot and hopefully that was all it was.