Gear Drive Transmission VS HST

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Pretty predictable and I have yet to see one that did not get personal and end up with insults.
So true. Again, I did not start this at all, and I was more than respectful for all points of view and even agreed in certain areas until Bluegill threw down the personal gauntlet.

Bad day to do that to me. This time I will not just shrug it off and I will call Bluegill out on this one.

But at the end of day, no one wins in the insult game. Best to do is to agree to respectfully disagree.

David

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
So true. Again, I did not start this at all, and I was more than respectful for all points of view and even agreed in certain areas until Bluegill threw down the personal gauntlet.

Bad day to do that to me. This time I will not just shrug it off and I will call Bluegill out on this one.

But at the end of day, no one wins in the insult game. Best to do is to agree to respectfully disagree.

David
Agree with you on that one.:)

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Umm, ya ok so now you want to make this personal?

WOW

Ok, I compared a manual to a couple of things to point out that things do change, and that there are always going to be holdouts or people who prefer something obsolete.... but not due to any facts or other evidence, but from a personal preference. And from a personal preference standpoint, that is fine, but from not from a engineering standpoint, or failure standpoint that is.

You still did not address the ergonomic damage that clutching and shifting does to the human body, and that is one big reason I mention a hand cranked engine. BOTH have the potential do cause damage to joints, bones that simply does not need to happen, especially when there are reasonably priced reliable machines to eliminate this damage.

Perhaps at this point I should take the high road, but does your failure to understand change, mean that your ignorant, or just plain stupid?

So take what I have to say as disrespect - MODS, please tell Bluegill to keep his yap shut on a personal level and I will as well. But for now, I will not stand by and take this garbage from anyone.

You sir, do owe me a apology.

David
David, I am not a very serious type of guy, that's why I use the smiley faces often.:)

Manufactures still make cars, trucks and tractors with manual transitions. They do this for a reason, because people want them and buy them. No comment on why they dropped the hand crank thing. ;)

You have absolutely nothing good to say about geared tractors with clutchs, but I've taken no offense to that. Ease up on us manual trans guys and all will be better.

If you feel I owe you an apology, then I apologize.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Unfortunately a few people on the board, when they feel they are boxed in by the facts, or see read something that they just do not like strike out personally. Perhaps I should have taken the high road with Bluegill, but this is the second time on this board that I have been totally disrespected and this time, I am not taking it.

David
David, in no way did I mean for my comment to be a personal attack and it wasn't. I do not work that way. I was just stating what I feel to be true. Think about how your 'hand crank' comment comes across to someone who prefers a manual trans. ;)

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
David, I am not a very serious type of guy, that's why I use the smiley faces often.:)

Manufactures still make cars, trucks and tractors with manual transitions. They do this for a reason, because people want them and buy them. No comment on why they dropped the hand crank thing. ;)

You have absolutely nothing good to say about geared tractors with clutchs, but I've taken no offense to that. Ease up on us manual trans guys and all will be better.

If you feel I owe you an apology, then I apologize.
Bluegill,

I will also take the opportunity to apologize for my comments. It is just a bad day today.

In any case, I have said one good thing about manuals and clutches. Even I have admitted that I might consider a manual transmission for one particular purpose, and that is large row cropping where there is no need to change gears or start and stop on a regular basis. I have posted this information twice on this forum board.

One thing I do not do if you have noted is to post how superior HST's are when someone posts with a manual transmission / clutch issue. That is not the place. I will however support the HST in any discussion in a debate on pros and cons on the two types, just as many others will promote manuals. I do believe that those posts asking for advice or opinion on one or the other is the place to post.

But you are right, I don't have a lot to say good about them. They have cost me personally a good part of the quality of my life. I live in pain from shifting and clutching. I have had one shoulder surgery to date. I would do almost anything to avoid that again.

I was a hard nosed manual transmission guy for years until the ergonomics caught up with me. Yes, there was a time when everything I had was a manual. I freely admit that. I was also under the belief that a manual was better, which I believe was correct when comparing old technology power transmission devices of the fluid, automatic or early HST design type.

Comparing a old three speed open converter automatic to a 5 or 6 speed manual? the manual can do more, and more economically, although at a penalty to the human body. My main point here is that things have changed. We do not have that type of slushbox now. We have at least four, if not 5,6,7 or 8 speed automatics now. With lockup converters to boot. That brings the fuel economy up to the level of the manual, or in some cases can outdo the manual, with no body damage. Really a win for everyone and every purpose.

Changes? Certainly. HST plus is a real improvement. Automated manuals in Class 8 trucks are a real improvement as well. The main point is this, things have changed, some of the old drawbacks to a automatic, a HST have been addressed, and corrected. Those old issues are no longer relevant and do not apply to the purchase of many new tractors, or cars and trucks for that matter. And why the same old thoughts / perceptions / realities that were the case 5, 10, 20 or even 50 years ago keep getting recycled for other that historical documentation, or grins I just do not understand.

A basic manual though, still has as many drawbacks today as it did 50 years ago. BUT that said, one positive improvement is the GST type manual. To me, whatever can be done to reduce the clutching and heavy shifting (not a lever to flick back and forth) is a bonus and a real win.

Funny thing is this. It is posted in another section where a 91 year old is still hard at work. But he lost a hand due to lack of power steering and the resultant manual gearbox kickback. While certainly not a manual transmission issue directly, a direct correlation to ergonomics where you let the machine take the beating and not the body is noted here. Something as simple as power steering, something many us take for granted now, and many would not even consider buying a tractor or car without would have potentially let this man live his life with both of his God given hands.

That is my main point as I have always said. it really comes down to quality of life, and ergonomics should be a large part of this whole discussion.

In fact, I could argue that ergonomics and reducing body damage is the ONLY issue in reality as tractors, cars and trucks can be replaced, but we only get one body. Others might disagree, at least until they start falling apart and no amount of money can put them back together again.

David

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
I wouldn't own a Chevy! :p

No really, I wouldn't.
Should I admit to this :)

Three Fords - 70' C600, 90' F250 and a 88' E150

One Chevy - a '72 Suburban (Ford did not make this type of "tool" way back when, so Chevrolet / GMC was the only choice)

and a '02 Olds Bravada.

Pretty much my full size trucks have always been Fords (15+ trucks over the years), cars have always been Oldsmobile's (10+ cars over the years) - why GM? One reason - BiLevel heating, Ford did not offer this until recently. I like the ability to have heat out of the floor ducts, while cold air out of the dash vents. Why Oldsmobile? - Poor mans Cadillac.

Small trucks - well I do not like the ergonomics of the Rangers, so it was either the Ford Courier (Mazda) or the S-10, I have owned two of each.

But then I have owned at least one of every other make made in the last 50 years, if nothing more just to check them out to see how they fit me and functioned.

David

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I like Ford best, but have a Dodge and a Toyota at the moment. :eek:
One auto, one manual.

David, I appreciate your information, but I personally have never known anyone who has had any injury from using a manual trans. My father in law is 91 and his personal vehicles have always had manual transmissions.

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
Thanks for the interesting read everyone.

I am sorry my post got a few feathers ruffled but its interesting to hear the different arguments.

I drove a friends HST this morning and I still can't decide which way to go. Not saying that I don't like the HST but it is not what I am use to when driving a tractor.

Thanks again,

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA

I am sorry my post got a few feathers ruffled but its interesting to hear the different arguments.

I drove a friends HST this morning and I still can't decide which way to go. Not saying that I don't like the HST but it is not what I am use to when driving a tractor.

Thanks again,
Main thing to remember is that it is something you are going to have to live with for some time, so buy something that fits you and what you need it for, regardless of HST or manual.

After all if it is painful, annoying or not what you want/expect for you to use, either transmission is not going to make you happy!

David

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
David, I appreciate your information, but I personally have never known anyone who has had any injury from using a manual trans. My father in law is 91 and his personal vehicles have always had manual transmissions.
Bluegill,

This is something that is coming down the pike or to a head so to speak. The company that I work for has a had a few drivers go out now with joint issues that are directly related to driving trucks, and said manual shifting. So it is just not me. I have talked with many older truck drivers and they also report issues, and sometimes they had never stopped and given much thought that the very industry that is feeding them is also wearing them out physically. In other words they never put two and two together and figured out that the reason why they have right side arm / shoulder / neck issues as left leg issues is shifting. Who would have figured as manuals were the standard for years.

Much like it is reported that the pyramids were built 100% by manual labor. That may be so, but how many lives did it end early, or another way to put it, how many people were used up in building them? Machines were not available then, but with todays machines, even if it were possible to build a pyramid by human labor alone, does anyone think that L&I or for that matter our spouses would let us kill ourselves in that way, or would they require that replaceable machines take the hits and wear and tear?

Carpel tunnel syndrome was po poed at first, as something not real, and was long ignored, but it has been realized and while keyboards are a requirement, steps have taken to reduce the damage. Same with driving, joint damaged also plagued many old timers who were constantly shifting due to the narrow power range jimmys. Of course living in a urban area where it is not totally unknown to spend three hours shifting and grinding along at 0 to 20 miles a hour only make the issue at least in a city traffic setting even more acute.

The main reason that it has long been ignored is that there really has been no viable alternative to decades old manual transmission designs until the last 5 years or so. All it is going to take if a few law suits like it did for carpel tunnel syndrome and you will see even a faster shift to auto or automated transmissions as there is now no real economic downside to them, and in fact fleet users who have been proactive in getting this new technology out there in the field not only have higher driver retention rates, but have noted less drivetrain wear and tear over the manuals, which has reduced over all costs of ownership, even though there is a steeper price to pay up front.

Trust me on this one, trucking companies and there insurers are trying to head this one off, much like computer manufactures tried to head off the carpel tunnel issue.

Could a non professional or casual use manual transmission driver avoid this damage? Certainly as most of them do not live in there car or on there tractor. But it is important to realize that there are economically viable alternatives to this wear and tear on the body that exist today.

So my main point is really this, education. Give real reasons to buy a HST, or for that matter a manual. I can think of one particular use that manual might excel and be a better choice over a HST. But for the majority of the uses, personal preferences aside, the HST is the practical and better choice.

At the end of the day, we are all wearing down. Just hard to me to justify doing it for work rowing a shifter needlessly when technology exists to stop this damage. It was different when the tech did not exist, then you just dealt with it, part of earning a living do to speak. But today ... Much funner to do the damage rowing the gears on a sports car in the curves. Deals Gap comes to mind.

David

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
I find it interesting to be speaking of ergonomics as a concern and overlook the clear issue of the awkward rocking position required by the HST. Both of my ankles are shot, and as I write this I am dealing with another injury to my left ankle.

Fact: Clutching a tractor with a downward travel clutch is not the same movement as is found in passenger vehicles and light trucks.

With a cast on my left ankle, clutch operation on the tractor presents no challenge or restriction of use. As far as the motion of the leg through the push of the clutch; it has less impact on the operator than walking. As far as changing gears.....well unless you have a 4600 or better, you won't be shifting gears on the move. And if you have a tractor that can shift on the move, it usually doesn't involve clutching.

Fact: Operating the HST pedal requires the user to perform a balancing act of sorts with their right foot, and varied tilt must be used to control speed unless resorting to CC.

If you have arthritis in your ankles, the clutch will be easier on your body.

Moving the directional control lever between L/H/R requires very little effort. 95% of the time the tractor is in 3rd gear, so shifting gears is really a moot point for this discussion (except for mowing, it's 4th for the rough-in, and then 2H for everything else).

Of course this is how I have to look at things based on what's best for me. Bringing into the discussion what it takes to drive an 18 wheeler through a city really doesn't have a place in the tractor discussion. I don't think that even on a varied and long work day I change gears more than a total of 10 times.....at most.

I personally feel that someone thinking that taking an HST over GST in the name of superior ergonomics is considerably selling their self short. Its really up to each individual to operate both and take into account all factors, and then realize that the L4600 GST is truly the best choice. :D

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Interesting.

When I bought my L3200 I had asked about the larger tractor with the GST and was told that I could not change direction without stopping / using the clutch. Additionally I use the HST as a brake because I find lifting my foot up to the brake pedals for more than anything other than necessary painful as well.

Strangely, for me my right foot angles out a quite a angle, so for the most part I don't have to balance my foot per say, it just drops over on the pedal. Reverse though does require a lifting of the foot and this gets old after a while.

I found even depressing the clutch to start the L3200HST onerous and painful, so that safety switch went by the wayside rather quickly.

However that said, if the GST could directional change with just the flick of a lever, aka like a forklift next to the steering wheel, I think that would be great and then the foot pedal could just be a throttle pedal, again aka a forklift.

Personally I would love to have a hand HST lever in addition to my foot pedal and have given some thought as to rigging up a hand lever setup. The one thing that the HST excels at is what I do most - loader work. I can slow things down to dig in and then speed up to transport without changing gears. For what I do if were to have a manual, many times that would be mean two shifts per cycle at least.

I sometimes wonder if a control system similar to a skid steer or even a excavator with one lever set up for steering and forward backwards, one for the bucket would work. It would be interesting.

Thoughts?

David

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
David, I'm now seeing where you're coming from and can see clutching and shifting for 8 hours + per day can add up. But most of us don't operate a tractor full time.

I thought I used a tractor a fair bit, but have only put a little over 70 hours in the last one and a half years.:confused:

I'm also with BotaDriver and find a HST pedal uncomfortable to use. Where a tractor clutch is effortless and pain free. I also like to use the foot throttle which isn't doable with HST.

It's just really good that Kubota makes all these different things, that fit all us different people. :D

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri

Thanks again,
Take a look and drive a L4600DT with GST. As much as I like my L3800DT, I'd probably rather have the 4600 gear drive. If my dealer would have had a 4600 on the lot, I would have likely gone that way, maybe.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Very interesting reading. I have owned several Kubotas and only two have the same HST pedal. What fits or doesn't fit one will be the opposite for another. The L40 is different still and I don't use the rocking motion, but rather the toe for forward or reverse. I also often don't even use it and just use the cruise control for going forward which works just like a hand control.

You really can't lump all Kubotas together, I like some and don't others.

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Personally I would love to have a hand HST lever in addition to my foot pedal and have given some thought as to rigging up a hand lever setup. The one thing that the HST excels at is what I do most - loader work. I can slow things down to dig in and then speed up to transport without changing gears. For what I do if were to have a manual, many times that would be mean two shifts per cycle at least.

I sometimes wonder if a control system similar to a skid steer or even a excavator with one lever set up for steering and forward backwards, one for the bucket would work. It would be interesting.

Thoughts?

David
I've seen on some new skid steers where they have 2 2-axis joysticks and they can be programmed to use 1 as fwd/rv and left right, or you can use both fwd/rv actions on both sticks for the traditional bobcat feel, while the left/right movements control the arms.

For me, the HST would have to be hand controlled, accessible from the steering wheel, and use some sort of auto smart throttle that use just enough RPMs to get the job done. Having a foot throttle is perfect for this on the GST units. My hand throttle is usually set to 1100 RPM or so just to make everything a little more responsive. It's nice being able to hit the throttle for a quick blip to speed up the FEL or if a little more push/scoop power is needed when filling the bucket.

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I've seen on some new skid steers where they have 2 2-axis joysticks and they can be programmed to use 1 as fwd/rv and left right, or you can use both fwd/rv actions on both sticks for the traditional bobcat feel, while the left/right movements control the arms.

For me, the HST would have to be hand controlled, accessible from the steering wheel, and use some sort of auto smart throttle that use just enough RPMs to get the job done. Having a foot throttle is perfect for this on the GST units. My hand throttle is usually set to 1100 RPM or so just to make everything a little more responsive. It's nice being able to hit the throttle for a quick blip to speed up the FEL or if a little more push/scoop power is needed when filling the bucket.
The L40 has auto throttle and the L60 has a throttle blip on the loader control. A guy on TBN has put hand controls on his Mahindra as he is paraplegic.

http://www.toplinetrailers.com/documents/L60.pdf