L210 starter tooth count confusion

Nicksouth

Equipment
1972 kubota L210
Oct 26, 2024
Louisiana
I recently acquired an old 210, a 73 I think the old man said.
I got it with no starter at all on it. Purchased some amazon cheap starter and it works. Spins and starts the tractor but makes this horrible grinding noise. Its a 10 tooth starter. My question is, whats the correct tooth count. I read online some say a 9 tooth but a 10 works. Ive even read some people saying they have an 11 tooth. Im wanting to buy a new starter before I destroy the flywheel but just dont know which one to get.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also. Ive only started it twice with current starter. Its back off the tractor and the flywheel looks to be fine. Maybe thats just how these tractors sound when starting 🤷‍♂️

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You have a few options (but I don’t know the answer to your question about the number of teeth)

Look at Kubota USA dot com for illustrated parts list and see if you can get a new starter for it from Kubota.

Use the Kubota part number to search Messicks or the internet for a starter (no idea how you acquired the current starter).

You may want to upgrade to a gear reduction starter that will spin the engine easier and faster and start the engine easier.

I have a L185 starter sitting on my workbench that I will count the teeth on and compare it with the part numbers of L185 and L210 to see if they should be the same tooth count. That will be later today or tomorrow before I can get to it.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Looking at part numbers the L210 uses a different starter than the L185

The part number for the L210 that I found is 15021-63010

When searching on the internet I found this

The L185 starter is 15221-63010. It has 9 teeth.

Nicksouth

Equipment
1972 kubota L210
Oct 26, 2024
Louisiana
Yes thats the same part number I have found online also.
ive also found the original denso starter part number 028000-4860 which now is obsolete unfortunately

searching both of those part numbers I come across lots of 9 and 10 tooth starters.
The one you sent from ebay looks identical to the one I have now.

Im guessing I should try finding an 11 tooth see if that will help.
Also I thought about a gear reduction starter but I dont think it would fit. The normal starter barly fits between the hydraulic lines and oil filter as it is. They have it tucked in pretty tight.

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might contact @007kubotaguy to see if he has any starters that are for the L210.

He is in California so shipping might be a little expensive but he runs a salvage yard for tractors and has helped out with parts for the older L series.

All States Ag may be another source but you might have to call them directly.

Russell King

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
And just to finish answering one of your questions- my tractor makes no grinding noise when it is starting

Nicksouth

Equipment
1972 kubota L210
Oct 26, 2024
Louisiana
You might contact @007kubotaguy to see if he has any starters that are for the L210.

He is in California so shipping might be a little expensive but he runs a salvage yard for tractors and has helped out with parts for the older L series.

All States Ag may be another source but you might have to call them directly.
Ill send him a message and or contact all states. I surly appreciate all yalls help!
Always a challenge working on older equipment but its worth it.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes thats the same part number I have found online also.
ive also found the original denso starter part number 028000-4860 which now is obsolete unfortunately

searching both of those part numbers I come across lots of 9 and 10 tooth starters.
The one you sent from ebay looks identical to the one I have now.

Im guessing I should try finding an 11 tooth see if that will help.
Also I thought about a gear reduction starter but I dont think it would fit. The normal starter barly fits between the hydraulic lines and oil filter as it is. They have it tucked in pretty tight.
I sounds like you need an 11T. gear. The pitch diameter of a 10T gear is going to be smaller than a 11T gear and the teeth wont mesh to full depth with the.ring gear. Thats probably why you are getting that grinding noise.

Dan

Nicksouth

Equipment
1972 kubota L210
Oct 26, 2024
Louisiana
I sounds like you need an 11T. gear. The pitch diameter of a 10T gear is going to be smaller than a 11T gear and the teeth wont mesh to full depth with the.ring gear. Thats probably why you are getting that grinding noise.

Dan
Yes I think you may be correct. Im having trouble locating one online. I may have to get with my local starter shop and see if they have an 11 tooth gear for my current starter as @D2Cat said.
Ive also sent a message to @007kubotaguy in hopes of getting an original starter.
Id love to have an original Denso. You can buy replacement parts for them online. But not the whole assembly. Go figure

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes I think you may be correct. Im having trouble locating one online. I may have to get with my local starter shop and see if they have an 11 tooth gear for my current starter as @D2Cat said.
Ive also sent a message to @007kubotaguy in hopes of getting an original starter.
Id love to have an original Denso. You can buy replacement parts for them online. But not the whole assembly. Go figure
You need to know the gear pitch as well as the tooth count.