Looking for Ideas on how to keep birds from destroying my new fascia boards.

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
I have a brand new shed I built for my wife. Brand new lumber no bugs. Every spring since I built it, the birds have come and drilled holes in the siding. The only bugs that have ever been in it are the bees that fly in the holes the birds dig. I use a pump pellet rifle with a scope.
Can't be shooting them, I live in a sub with very sensitive neighbors.

Reactions: 1 user

LFP57

Equipment
LX2610 Land pride QH 10, BB1560, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, Top n Tilt, Wicked T
Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Our cabin was originally a natural wood finish, which looks like a dead tree to acorn woodpeckers.
After trying everything to get them to leave the place alone, we spoke to animal behaviorists, and they told us to remove any dead trees in the area, (habitat) and change the color & texture of the building, so it looks less like a dead tree.
We replaced trim, patched holes, & painted the cabin a dark chocolate brown, and all that has helped a lot.
They still peck on it some.
I'm told that all the birds that have pecked on it in the past will continue to do so, until they die. The bad part is that they teach this behavior to their young.
So the only sure fire way to stop them is to kill them all, but of course, you can't do that, because they are a federally protected species. :mad:
My house is a dark chocolate brown as well, wonder if placing a fake predator bird mounted near the area would make any difference?

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The peckers are after bugs. Deal with the bugs and the peckers go away.
🤔 When peckers and bugs are mentioned in the same sentence I can't help but wonder if everyone's on the same subject. 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My house is a dark chocolate brown as well, wonder if placing a fake predator bird mounted near the area would make any difference?
A friend loaned me a life sized, solar powered, moving, hooting owl to try and stop the problem. It worked for a while, but when the peckers figured out it wasn't real, they pecked holes in it.
I had to buy him a new one. :mad:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
🤔 When peckers and bugs are mentioned in the same sentence I can't help but wonder if everyone's on the same subject. 😬
Earlier I said sometimes peckers just want to drill something…..of course I’m subject-correct related to birds, (carpenter) bees and wood…..coff coff 😉

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I have 3 fake owls around the house. The peckers couldn't care less.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Other things maybe…..😉😳

personal experience... what else can I say? I still remember her pretty well. Buxom blonde farm girl when I was in 10th grade. She really was quite a hottie but the little critters kept me from going back for more. :(

but I digress.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
personal experience... what else can I say? I still remember her pretty well. Buxom blonde farm girl when I was in 10th grade. She really was quite a hottie but the little critters kept me from going back for more. :(

but I digress.
We’ve all had our experiences…..🪲 or so I’ve heard…😉

To circle back to the original question, those are what create those damned holes in the wall after all…….😉 (sarcasm emphasized)

Last edited: