What Are These Vents For Besides letting Mice In?

Caluthius

Equipment
RTVX1100C
Sep 15, 2024
New York
I have mice getting into my RTV X1100C cabin and I am trying to cover entry openings. Does anyone know what the two vents with rubber flaps located on either side under the seat are for because they can certainly get in there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Those vents are pressure equalizing vents.
If you cover them permanently the heater will not work effectively and when you close a door the doors might not close properly.
Don't block them, just put a piece of window screen over the holes on the opposite side as the rubber flap.
And put a sock with moth balls or moth ball flakes in the cab.

Reactions: 1 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Those vents are pressure equalizing vents.
If you cover them permanently the heater will not work effectively and when you close a door the doors might not close properly.
Don't block them, just put a piece of window screen over the holes on the opposite side as the rubber flap.
And put a sock with moth balls or moth ball flakes in the cab.
*aluminum or stainless window screen

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
HAHAHA, yea cloth screen would be rather pointless!
I had no idea there was such a thing until 10 years ago. My parents had their porch re screened (it was screened in when they bought the place 20 years ago). My dad, being the guy that hates doing things twice, opted for SS screen. $$$ big time. But it held up to all the critters that wanted in. Squirrels, mice, bats, etc.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I can't believe this! Here's a new guy on the forum asking a simple question and Wolfman tells him to put a sock in it!

o_O

:D
I could have told him to just stuff it! 🤣

Reactions: 2 users

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I got mice in my RTV. In my case they were going in the hvac intake under the hood on the firewall. Very stupid design....a big giant open hole that goes down the the cabin air filter, where they made a nest. And that cabin filter is over $120 here in Canada.
So I got my wife with her tiny hands to get in there and put screen over it then stuffed all around on top of that with steel wool which still breathes fine for the hvac.
Then I keep a bar of Irish Springs soap under each seat. No more problems, and it smells nice in the cab.

• Wow

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I got mice in my RTV. In my case they were going in the hvac intake under the hood on the firewall. Very stupid design....a big giant open hole that goes down the the cabin air filter, where they made a nest. And that cabin filter is over $120 here in Canada.
So I got my wife with her tiny hands to get in there and put screen over it then stuffed all around on top of that with steel wool which still breathes fine for the hvac.
Then I keep a bar of Irish Springs soap under each seat. No more problems, and it smells nice in the cab.
Irish Spring? UGH!! Makes me puke! (Almost)...
That'll keep ME out of the RTV, never mind the mice lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Irish Spring? UGH!! Makes me puke! (Almost)...
That'll keep ME out of the RTV, never mind the mice lol.
I use Irish Spring soap in my (outdoor) Hosta beds, and under my bird feeders. It keeps deer, squirrels, rabbits, and skunks away. I break the bars into smaller chunks and just scatter them around. I also dissolve some of it and mix it with water to spray directly on plants I don't want the deer to eat.

It works pretty well.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I use Irish Spring soap in my (outdoor) Hosta beds, and under my bird feeders. It keeps deer, squirrels, rabbits, and skunks away. I break the bars into smaller chunks and just scatter them around. I also dissolve some of it and mix it with water to spray directly on plants I don't want the deer to eat.

It works pretty well.
Those are great uses, I'll keep them in mind protecting from deer and squirrel especially as they're ubiquitous around here. I'd probably hand off its "installation" to others if I can. Just the thought of that reek gives me the icks.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio

It works pretty well.
BTW, Sam's Club sells a box of 24 bars of Irish Spring for about twelve bucks.
I use a hammer and chisel to break them up.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I tried the pure peppermint oil that is supposed to keep mice away. Put little cups with cotton balls soaked with it, but they ate the cotton balls and all I had was empty cups and mouse turds, LOL