What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well, I dragged out this project as long as I could :)

Today My son Jed and I put up the 6th and final section of the new tower. He did all the work. I was on the tractor and he was on the tower. Pretty uneventful - just what I like in tower erections.

Pulling up the 6th section:

6th section being pulled up 20241012_134205_cropped.jpg

section bolted in place and Jed attaching the set of guys (that's a guy coming into the bottom of the frame):
6th section jed attaching guys 20241012_144624.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Today My son Jed and I put up the 6th and final section of the new tower. He did all the work. I was on the tractor and he was on the tower. Pretty uneventful - just what I like in tower erections.

View attachment 139762

section bolted in place and Jed attaching the set of guys (that's a guy coming into the bottom of the frame):
View attachment 139763
I think (hope) you meant ‘erecting a tower’ 😉. Yes I may be going to hell for that. It looks great…and I mean the tower. I’ve been following that project and very well done and glad no one hurt!👍

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I felt like doing some mowing this evening to give the M6060 a bit of a run and to spend some time outside on a beautiful evening. It's dusty as heck so the cab is a nice place to be at these times.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Bearcatrp

Equipment
BX1880 with loader, mower and 3 point
Mar 28, 2023
Minnesota
Got around 6 hours in the seat moving crap out of the garage, cleaning it and putting some of it back. Been awhile since I cleaned the garage. Allot of crap built up thats going in the dumpster.

Reactions: 1 user

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

View attachment 139762

View attachment 139763
Nice to see the father and son working together on this!
Always enjoy a day working on a project inside or out with my son! My brother was here last week and we were putting A arms on his car because I have a lift. I kept calling him Bob instead of Dean because it was going well like when my son and I work on a vehicle.
Bill

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX

View attachment 139762

View attachment 139763
Can you explain how you get a new section to come up, and then get it mounted on the previous section?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Can you explain how you get a new section to come up, and then get it mounted on the previous section?
It's really easy (after a little lot of practice)

The gin pole (a 14' long, 2" od, 1/4" wall aluminum tube with a welded on pulley at one end) is clamped to a tower leg as high as possible on the last installed section. The 1st section was installed 3-1/2' into the ground in a concrete block. Test set up on the 1st section.
gin-pole_test_mounting_20240724_154108.jpg

There is an adjustable clamping mechanism that holds the pole, allowing it to be slid up or down while clamped to the tower. Normally you want it as high as possible but for moving it up to the next section we drop it so the tower clamp can be easily attached then its slid up.

For the 2nd section we didn't push it up all the way but all the others were. The sections are 10' long.
2nd section signal-2024-08-14-15-15-08-029-11.jpg

A rope goes through that gin pole pulley and down to the section. The other side of the rope goes down to a snatch block pulley I have connected to my tipped over ballast box (with extra weight on top of it - the tank is filled). In the pic above you can see the rope going back to the tractor by my right foot. My orange buddy is barely visible in the background. The tractor does all the bull work.

The bottoms of each leg have welded on couplings with 2 bolt holes. The next section is maneuvered over the previous one and slowly lowered so the couplings engage the straight legs of the lower section. Align the bolt holes (appropriate punches are more than useful with a dead blow hammer), slide the bolts in, nut them up and snug them down.

A simple pulley is attached at the top of the new section and a rope going to the ground is attached to the gin pole. The man on the tower lowers the gin pole in its fixture, unbolts the gin pole from the tower and the ground crew pulls up the gin pole to the top of the newly installed section.
Tower man then bolts the gin pole fixture onto the leg. He then slides the pole up as high as possible, clamps it tight and we are ready to pull the next section.

You want the man on the tower doing the absolute minimum amount of work. Pretty much all the lifting is done on the ground.

Reactions: 5 users

Ton

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2022
MD
Haven't done anything on my Kubota today or this weekend because the dealership still has it doing the 50hr service which I can't imagine would take more than a couple hours to complete for a competent mechanic. Should have done it myself but I like the dealership to do the services for anything still under warranty. Been a week and now I've completely missed a perfect three day weekend with great weather for getting a long list of things done. Very annoying. If I was a commercial guy losing money I'd be really pissed.

• Sad

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
MX sat out and got a free shower after the tilling / dust yesterday. It played antenna mount (again) so the spousal unit could watch the Buckeye quarterback run the clock out so the kicker could not have a chance at the glory. At least MX was nice and clean this morning. 😆

Fall coop clean out today with the B. We turned and rotated the compost and added a few scoops to the compost bin.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Been helping my neighbor with a new metal building installation. Between cutting trees, chipping tops of said trees, pulling up roots from other trees he had cut, moving/grading gravel back to the slab and prepping for all the electrical and plumbing work, he’s had me pretty busy. A busy me is a happy me, though. I cut into his incoming water main and installed a pit with a cutoff valve for supplying the new shed.

Retirement is a good thing, but it can get a little boring. The missus likes it when I get a bit of pocket cash, or better yet, a very tasty Boston Butt for my efforts. I’m blessed to have such a wonderful neighbor and know he appreciates everything I do for him. My neighbors are the only reason I stay here. All of ‘em are good people, especially the older ones. The younger (newest) ones tend to expect me to do things for them for free and rarely offer any compensation, not even so much as paying for the fuel. I try to be a good neighbor so I’ll have good neighbors, but one has hit his limits. Next time he asks if I can pull a stump for him, I’ll say “I can, but you have to decide if I will”. See if he figures it out.

Need another hobby, and looks like sawmilling might be it.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
...I try to be a good neighbor so I’ll have good neighbors, but one has hit his limits. Next time he asks if I can pull a stump for him, I’ll say “I can, but you have to decide if I will”. See if he figures it out...
We've got one of those. He and his wife have hit up nearly everyone in the neighborhood for help, but have never helped anyone else. They seldom even say Thanks for the help they get. At this point it'd have to be a true emergency before any of us will help them again. Ingrates!

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
We've got one of those. He and his wife have hit up nearly everyone in the neighborhood for help, but have never helped anyone else. They seldom even say Thanks for the help they get. At this point it'd have to be a true emergency before any of us will help them again. Ingrates!
To be fair, though, they did invite us to their halloween party. He went to high school with my oldest stepson. We’d fit right in amongst a bunch of 30-somethings that we don’t know from Adam’s house cat, right? Even if he just offered to pay for a can of diesel, I enjoy the seat time and helping folks.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I finished my post Hurricane Milton cleanup. Fortunately, we did not get flooding, house wind damage or any other house damage plus the power never went away. Apparently, I was the only one in the neighborhood with significant tree damage, everybody else seem to have small branches only.
IMG_20241015_114314.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I finished my post Hurricane Milton cleanup. Fortunately, we did not get flooding, house wind damage or any other house damage plus the power never went away. Apparently, I was the only one in the neighborhood with significant tree damage, everybody else seem to have small branches only.
View attachment 139965
Glad you got off as light as you did, and that Milton fizzled out from Cat 5 so quickly. You guys dodged a bullet down there.

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Ended up tilling 3 fields on Wednesday and dragging them Thursday, that’s about best I could do with equipment I have. They’ve asked if I’ll till in more dust if they can get it this year, not sure I’m in for that after spending 2 days chiseling caked dust from tiller. Pry bar and mall worked best, i even tried air chisel - that stuff is like concrete.

View attachment 139258

View attachment 139259
That’s only the back half.

https://youtube.com/shorts/amcVbG4I1CM?si=JGdd9zzj1h1m9eGB
Id love to see how the fields turned out.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
View attachment 139965
Good thing you have that grapple!

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Glad you got off as light as you did, and that Milton fizzled out from Cat 5 so quickly. You guys dodged a bullet down there.
We got very lucky. The eye of the hurricane went right over us as a Cat 1 on its way out to the Atlantic. We had some street flooding as it was approaching and raining hard. Then we had a lot wind from the north with almost no rain on its way out. There is a still a lot of flooding going on in areas around Orlando and Daytona since the rivers and lakes are beginning to overflow and there is so much water saturated flat land with no runoff.