Fixing hole in side of block

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
"Fluff & Buff" ?????
Am quite certain that is exactly what is going on here.
You say this almost daily without any information beyond your own opinion.

Say it enough times it must be true. We all saw it on the internet.

I suggest you not buy a used Kubota from North Viet Nam, Texas, or any other US State that could have a "panhandle." :oops::rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Joe. How many head gaskets do you plan on going through?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

dragfan66

Equipment
B7500 Z231KW G1800 L3350DT
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
I can't remember the term for it, but if you see a tractor that is advertised for sale, or other equipment for that matter, which has obviously been spray painted to make it look good, what is that called?

I mean when EVERYTHING is painted, like the fan and fan belt and exhaust system, and tubing leading to the injectors, and so on...
Lipstick on a pig is the term I always heard.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I had an L2050 that the previous owner let freeze. This is what the oil pan looked like.
This raises a couple of questions. Were you able to repair it or was it bought for parts? Other question calls for opinion or best guess. Do you think engine froze TWICE, once when something cracked allowing water to enter pan after it thawed then a second time when water in pan froze cracking pan?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
This raises a couple of questions. Were you able to repair it or was it bought for parts? Other question calls for opinion or best guess. Do you think engine froze TWICE, once when something cracked allowing water to enter pan after it thawed then a second time when water in pan froze cracking pan?
What you say certainly does make sense.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Joe. How many head gaskets do you plan on going through?
Shouldn't require more than one providing he cleans the gasket with brush, diesel and compressed air before each use. Might help to coat gasket with JB Weld.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
@joesmith123

While the JBWeld is a fix I am not sure how long that will last due to heat. On the exhaust I am pretty certain that will fail in the near future but that will be a reasonably easy repair since it is in the open. At the cover to block junction it will work better and could last forever since that area won’t get as hot. But since it is just right there NOW I think you should consider a better repair. But on the other hand even if it leaks some you would probably be able to live with that leak.

I would suggest that you could “easily?” loosen all the cover bolts and pull it away from the block enough to install a “gasket maker” like the red material you used on the speed control cover or Permatex 85080 Ultra Black. I have never used them on a “dirty” surface like would be involved in this case so they might not be any better than what you are trying.

And if water is leaking where you put the latest JB Weld patch, is there supposed to be water inside that case? I don’t think so but have lost track of where you had water and oil leakage. I think that there is a plug (normally referred to as a freeze plug) in the block (behind the cover) that may be leaking or has gotten out of position. You may want to review pictures of that end of the block to see what may be leaking IF in fact there is really only supposed to be oil in that case area.

On some engines in some places there are bolts that thread into a hole that is open to water so the water will leak into the “dry area” around the threads. In those cases you can apply a sealant to the threads of the bolts before you thread them into the hole. It is similar to putting pipe dope on a threaded pipe connection to seal it. I normally used Permatex #2 since that was “best” when I was doing my projects in the past (long ago). I wouldn’t use the RTV type since they would glue the bolt to the block and make it more likely to break the bolt during a future removal.

Good luck and the engine sounds good when running.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought it not know what would happen with it, just a bargain I couldn't pass up. I did some fixen and put it all back together. New oil pan, new clutch (you've probably seen picture on here of the rusted out clutch), a freeze plug or two, water pump. I don't really remember it all. North Idaho Wolfman found the oil pan for me on the internet for like $85. Had it for a while and eventually sold it.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
@joesmith123

While the JBWeld is a fix I am not sure how long that will last due to heat. On the exhaust I am pretty certain that will fail in the near future but that will be a reasonably easy repair since it is in the open. At the cover to block junction it will work better and could last forever since that area won’t get as hot. But since it is just right there NOW I think you should consider a better repair. But on the other hand even if it leaks some you would probably be able to live with that leak.

I would suggest that you could “easily?” loosen all the cover bolts and pull it away from the block enough to install a “gasket maker” like the red material you used on the speed control cover or Permatex 85080 Ultra Black. I have never used them on a “dirty” surface like would be involved in this case so they might not be any better than what you are trying.

And if water is leaking where you put the latest JB Weld patch, is there supposed to be water inside that case? I don’t think so but have lost track of where you had water and oil leakage. I think that there is a plug (normally referred to as a freeze plug) in the block (behind the cover) that may be leaking or has gotten out of position. You may want to review pictures of that end of the block to see what may be leaking IF in fact there is really only sup to be oil in that case area.

On some engines in some places there are bolts that thread into a hole that is open to water so the water will leak into the “dry area” around the threads. In those cases you can apply a sealant to the threads of the bolts before you thread them into the hole. It is similar to putting pipe dope on a threaded pipe connection to seal it. I normally used Permatex #2 since that was “best” when I was doing my projects in the past (long ago). I wouldn’t use the RTV type since they would glue the bolt to the block and make it more likely to break the bolt during a future removal.

Good luck and the engine sounds good when running.
That paragraph there is critical. It's usually easy to tell by the rust on the end of the bolt, but don't take it for granted! Good to point it out. Most would overlook it, until it's too late.

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Found the culprit, surgically seal engine

20241010_224451.jpg

I point to the area of visible leak when assembled, but

study the travel of water across different parts of gasket

20241010_224524.jpg

looking at head, pointing with blade where the leak was

plane both surfaces, clean them perfectly, use tiny bit of red rtv along with same gasket, seal it perfectly with intent

not in hurry to put it back together, clean all bad paint, install new springs, etc

20241011_000335.jpg

Hit flange with file, then cutting disc, then hand sand with 600 grit, dip in diesel

20241011_000351.jpg

Soak entire head in diesel with big brush, hit leaking area with stripping disc on angle grinder, file the area, put clamps on head, hitting it with 6 inch wire wheel on polisher, stripping away paint, hitting it hard with compressed air

Now: finish hitting both part with wire wheel, clean them with part cleaner, then

using gasket maker and the recycled gasket, surgically seal them and let them cure,

put some plumbing tape on the bolts, tighten them to about 25 foot pound, maybe 30

let it cure over night

20241011_020210.jpg

20241011_020218.jpg

20241011_023338.jpg

20241011_020229.jpg

Pictures: these are all the mating surfaces where leak present, fully clean, ready to seal

20241011_020254.jpg

I point to area that had some gear case damage during removal

put nice bead of jb weld now

20241011_020309.jpg

Hit whole area with 6 inch wire wheel doused in diesel, 1000 rpm

Now: slice rest of hour meter, clean area, put bead of jb weld on gearcase damage and sliced hour meter

Last edited:

joesmith123

Equipment
L295DT, BX1500
Mar 18, 2023
earth
Surgically sealing engine

20241011_023315.jpg

Put bead jb weld using flat chisel, wipe excess

20241011_023326.jpg

Slice hour meter, dab in jb weld

Now: take out governor, remove spring, install new springs,

Imagining that the new springs make a difference and give that perfect idle and control

Surgically seal water port attachment to head, use red RTV gasket maker and gasket

20241011_031859.jpg

Start spring, new and old

Carefully install without dropping into gear area

Last edited: