D1105 Won't start after rebuild

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Look under the bottom of the crank and you should see the key way slot even in the oil gear.
The slot is 180 degrees from the dots on the top.
I use 2 stiff putty knives, one on each side driven in between the oil drive gear and the crank gear to get them to split apart.
Unless the engine had something that stopped the crank with incredible force the chances are really really low that there is any damage to the key way.
I have a simple question.

If the gear has a key way, and the crank has a key way, and each only has one, how would it be possible to get the position of the gear on the crankshaft wrong?

Just an honest question by someone who is electrical in background...

I am assuming that the wolfman is suggesting that for the timing to be off due to a shift in position of that gear on the crankshaft, it would have had to have shifted due to some catastrophic stopping event...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a simple question.

If the gear has a key way, and the crank has a key way, and each only has one, how would it be possible to get the position of the gear on the crankshaft wrong?

Just an honest question by someone who is electrical in background...

I am assuming that the wolfman is suggesting that for the timing to be off due to a shift in position of that gear on the crankshaft, it would have had to have shifted due to some catastrophic stopping event...
Yes the only way for it to be off would be if the key has sheared and the gears have turned on the crank.
It's a very highly unlikely event.