Blue tooth ear buds. Which are best over all for noise reduction, music, and noise cancelling.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
I am looking at getting some ear buds. I want them more for podcasts than music. I am looking at the isotunes free aware, but am wondering how good they really are and if there is something better on the market. It is hard to get honest reviews, as so many are either paid for, or are getting them for free.

Right now I use custom molded ear plugs for hearing protection which I like, but would like to be able to hear the podcasts when using power tools out side.

thanks

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I bought some from SlamAzon
They were $24. Bucks
On sale for $16. , has the rechargeable pod/holder thing.
I wear them welding when my sister is headed to work early she usually calls to STS. I'm not a big tec person. But they work for me.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I like the IsoTune Pros that go over the ear and are wired.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I have a pair of Jabra Elite earbuds with active noise reduction. Pretty much useless.

Keep in mind that I come at this question from the world of aviation headsets with Active Noise Reduction (ANR). These actually WORK. The Jabra devices knock the outside noise level down a little bit, a very little bit. No way in heck would I operate equipment using them as protection for my hearing. I wear them under my David Clark earmuffs (28dB NRR for the earmuffs, the earbuds might add another 1 or 2dB).

In high noise environments you'll find anything that will protect your hearing will likely not be very good at reproducing the lower end of the scale of audio tones. OK, let me be more precise... Something intended to protect your hearing likely won't provide audiophile-quality sound.

If you really want good ones which will protect your hearing, do some google-fu and look for products intended for tactical and shooting use. Most of them have a cord of some sort to prevent the device from being lost - not a bad idea when working on equipment.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I currently have six noise cancelling products including three over the ear and three earbud style. Three of those products are from Isotunes. I've also owned other noise cancelling products going back 15 years or so. What I've learned is that you get what you pay for.

By far the best noise cancelling product I've owned or own are the Bose earbuds that I use every month when I travel for work. The only problem is that they're wired so not ideal for tractor use. Bose does offer a bluetooth earbud product as well and I'm seriously considering ordering these for tractor work. There is WAY more noise in the MX cab compared to the M, and since I use it all winter for snow removal I think a pair of Bose earbuds would be awesome. Perhaps an early Christmas present to myself.

Added in edit: I ordered a pair of the Bose bluetooth earbuds shown in the link. Vision and hearing are important to me so I figure it's worth investing in a good set of noise cancelling earbuds that don't have any annoying wires running between them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I have used Bose QC earbuds that worked great but had to be replaced under warranty for what sounded like a blown speaker. Second time it happened Bose would not replace. Bose stated that the warranty did not re-set when second set was sent to me.
I now use Apple Airpod Pro 2 earbuds. They work great on my zero turn with plenty of noise reduction and I can hear audio books, podcasts without maxing out the volume.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I use Beats Flex. They sound good and have pretty decent range.

Edit: they don't have noise cancelling.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have used Bose QC earbuds that worked great but had to be replaced under warranty for what sounded like a blown speaker. Second time it happened Bose would not replace. Bose stated that the warranty did not re-set when second set was sent to me.
The wired Bose earbuds that I've had for a few years continue to be excellent so I hope the bluetooth earbuds I ordered do just as well. There's a 90-day, full refund return period so if I don't like them I can send them back. I'll be trying them out on a work-related trip this coming weekend but I mostly ordered them to use with the MX this winter. I was reminded again yesterday when using the flail and the folding rotary cutter of how much noisier the MX cab is compared to the M. I don't have a sound meter, buy my uncalibrated ear-o-meter really notices the difference.

Sporto

Equipment
B2601-1, FDR1660, RTA1258, BB1560, LR1672, PFL1242, MK Martin Snow Blower
Mar 20, 2021
Manitoba Canada
The wife and kids got me a set of ISOtunes blue tooth ear buds they had excellent noise reduction and functionality how ever the rechargeable battery only lasted a couple of seasons and is not replaceable

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Not earbuds, but this is what I bought to wear while on the tractor, cutting grass, any noisy outdoor chore.
They are very comfortable even with glasses on and the sound is fantastic, I listen to audio books.
For the price, comfort, and protection you can go wrong.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I used the new Bose QuietComfort Ultra earbuds on a work trip last week which included four plane rides with close to 10 hours in the air, and yesterday while running the flail. So far I'm very impressed with them and consider them to be worth the price of admission.

First off, they're incredibly comfortable in the ear and by far the most secure and comfortable fit of any earbud that I've owned over many years. Secondly, the sound quality for music and noise reduction are exceptional. They are so light and inoffensive to wear which means that they'll get used a lot, and in combination with the wired Bose noise cancelling earbuds I've had for a few years, I have options. I was able to listen to music at 70% volume with the MX engine running at 2,600 rpm and the flail engaged, and nothing to restrict or get in the way of head movement. I could barely hear the engine or transmission which is a little weird, but I've always found it odd to run machinery when you can't hear it running. That disconnect can be discombobulating and even a safety issue.

I'm still figuring out the Bose app which has a lot of features to optimize the earbuds, but you don't need to have the app running to use the earbuds in noise cancellation mode or to listen to audio. One aspect of the earbuds which has a learning curve is the touch control feature on either bud. There's some finesse required which I'm still learning, so at the moment I prefer to control features through the app or the music player.

Earbuds with wires can be annoying when there's lots of head movement, and over the ear types are just too hot and bulky for my liking. They're fine when shooting, but even then, they can get in the way when shooting rifles.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I saw this interesting article about Bose today. I hadn't realized that MIT is the majority owner. Here's a snippet from the article for anyone interested as well as a link.

" By investigating what pilots needed to operate safely and comfortably in the cockpit, and constantly asking them for improvements and ideas, Bose was able to develop and trickle down what remain the best noise-canceling algorithms WIRED has ever tested. That makes sense, given that latest generation of Bose Quietcomfort over-ears and earbuds offer genuine professional-grade aerospace technology."

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'll second these!

I use older 3M WorkTunes with the built in AM/FM radio that will also hook up by wire to an audio source. I've been using them for years and love them.
The OP asked about earbuds with noise reduction and noise cancelling technology, like Isotunes, Bose and some others. All of you recommending over the ears protection with no noise cancellation technology are missing the point entirely. Some of us despise wearing over the ear protection for extended periods and also don't like that bloody headband digging into the head.

I have good hearing and that's worth a lot more than $40 to me. The company I work for agrees and sent me a pair of $100 over the ears noise cancelling headphones to use when shooting.

pgmrdan

Equipment
BX2380, L3902HST, Massey Harris Pony, Ford 3000
Aug 16, 2017
USA
The OP asked about earbuds with noise reduction and noise cancelling technology, like Isotunes, Bose and some others. All of you recommending over the ears protection with no noise cancellation technology are missing the point entirely. Some of us despise wearing over the ear protection for extended periods and also don't like that bloody headband digging into the head.

I have good hearing and that's worth a lot more than $40 to me. The company I work for agrees and sent me a pair of $100 over the ears noise cancelling headphones to use when shooting.
You're missing the point that we're politely not mentioning. Blue tooth earbuds aren't going to cut it.

Mine were $70 20 years ago. Should be a LOT more now. Not certain about the $40 pair mentioned.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You're missing the point that we're politely not mentioning. Blue tooth earbuds aren't going to cut it.
Seriously? You clearly know nothing about noise cancellation technology.

pgmrdan

Equipment
BX2380, L3902HST, Massey Harris Pony, Ford 3000
Aug 16, 2017
USA
Never mind. Not worth it.

Last edited: