M7060 PTO Shaft Spins Freely

dhcole99

Equipment
M7060
Oct 21, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Was using brush cutter with slip clutch. Hit a small tree stump and carried on for about 30 feet and cutter stopped spinning. Check PTO shaft on tractor and it spins freely. No grinding or metal on metal when I spin but I do hear a slight noise from a bearing. Any thoughts about issue before I get too excited?

Hydro

Equipment
ZD21
Sep 3, 2024
Southern Indiana
Could be anything in the pto driveline , from something failing at the rear -- all the way to the engine coupler
At this point pulling the pto housing would be the first step

Pictures of the carnage for the forum would be helpful , in case someone has this same problem

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would look for a shear pin (bolt) where the PTO shaft connects to the gear box input shaft on the brush cutter.

It probably sheared due to the slip clutch being locked up and not slipping. When was the last time you slipped the slip clutch in the drive line?

dhcole99

Equipment
M7060
Oct 21, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I would look for a shear pin (bolt) where the PTO shaft connects to the gear box input shaft on the brush cutter.

It probably sheared due to the slip clutch being locked up and not slipping. When was the last time you slipped the slip clutch in the drive line?
I removed the brush cutter. Tractor end of the PTO Shaft spins freely. I did adjust the slip clutch in the spring but probably should check it more often. Thanks.

dhcole99

Equipment
M7060
Oct 21, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Could be anything in the pto driveline , from something failing at the rear -- all the way to the engine coupler
At this point pulling the pto housing would be the first step

Pictures of the carnage for the forum would be helpful , in case someone has this same problem
Unfortunately the tractor is coming up on 3 years old ... so I will probably get Kubota to take a look ... I have so many things to sort out this time of year that if I start working on it will take months .... months I do not have. Painful $$$s. I will make sure the techs take pictures of the damage and will send out.