Traveller (TSC) 80W-90 gear oil

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is it acceptable (satisfactory) to use Traveller 80W-90 (GL-5) oil in the front axle of my 2006 L48 TLB.
I have no idea what the previous owner used.
Perhaps, SUDT, or even SUDT-2 is in there now..
Can 80W-90 ( GL-5 ) be added, or mixed with,...... possibly existing SUDT/SUDT-2?
Or,.......should I just add SUDT-2, assuming that MIGHT be what is already in there?
That's what I used in mine yesterday. IMO, SUDT-2 is too thin for a front axle. Glad that I had enough on hand. Seemed like the front axle took more that what the book claimed.

Yes, it smelled like gear oil to me...but, I didn't bother to taste it cause I really wasn't all that hungry. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Gear oil is an aquired taste. Requires a chaser.

• Haha

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Too thin for a front axle but fine in the rear?

Dan
Yep. IMO.

I had front axle leaks in my BX. Replaced seals and added UDT or SUDT-2 (can't remember which) and I still had weeping. Drained them and replaced with gear oil. No more weeping. So Yes, that's how I roll.

I'm not sure what you're implying about the rear? I wouldn't suggest to anyone to fill their hydraulic system with Gear Oil. :rolleyes:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yep. IMO.

I had front axle leaks in my BX. Replaced seals and added UDT or SUDT-2 (can't remember which) and I still had weeping. Drained them and replaced with gear oil. No more weeping. So Yes, that's how I roll.

I'm not sure what you're implying about the rear? I wouldn't suggest to anyone to fill their hydraulic system with Gear Oil. :rolleyes:
I am not implying anything. I will state it quite plainly:

SUDT2 provides all the protection needed for the rear axle on the tractor and there is no reason to think its inadequate in the front. Tractor engineers using well designed tests and decades of fleet data have made that determination time and time again.

And SUDT2 doesnt leak any less just because its in a rear axle.. If your front axle leaks when filled with SUDT2 it has bad seals.

Dan

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Gear oil smells like Garlic to me. It’s not sulfur in the oil (tho’ some folks relate that)…it’s Extreme-Pressure additives (mostly phosphates) that smell.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Gear oil smells like Garlic to me. It’s not sulfur in the oil (tho’ some folks relate that)…it’s Extreme-Pressure additives (mostly phosphates) that smell.
Gear oil contauns
Say whst?

Sulfur in one form or another has been the primary extreme pressure (EP) additive in automotIve gear oil for better part of a century and is still used at some concentration in almost all formulations.

Phosphorus (esp ZDDP) is also used as an anti-wear compound but it is not considered an EP additive.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's what I used in mine yesterday. IMO, SUDT-2 is too thin for a front axle. Glad that I had enough on hand. Seemed like the front axle took more that what the book claimed.

Yes, it smelled like gear oil to me...but, I didn't bother to taste it cause I really wasn't all that hungry. ;)
IMHO also,.......SUDT-2 is much too thin!
But, what do I know"?
I am only a long ago Civil engineer., with very little chemical knowledge.
There are however, several oil gurus here on OTT, that seem to agree with using 80W-90 gear oil.
I assume that Kubota recommends SUDT-2,..... because it is the oil that they offer for sale.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
IMHO also,.......SUDT-2 is much too thin!
But, what do I know"?
I am only a long ago Civil engineer., with very little chemical knowledge.
There are however, several oil gurus here on OTT, that seem to agree with using 80W-90 gear oil.
I assume that Kubota recommends SUDT-2,..... because it is the oil that they offer for sale.
Viscosity is not what drives wear protection in an automotive gear oil. A grade 90 GL-1 gear oil has no EP additives and will fail miserably on the API wear tests that a "thinner" grade 80 GL-4 UTF with EP additives easily passes.

There is nothing wrong with using a 80W90 gear oil in the front axle of a Kubota tractor but it buys you nothing of consequence compared to a UTF. There is decades of real engineering data to back that up.

Dan

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Viscosity is not what drives wear protection in an automotive gear oil. A grade 90 GL-1 gear oil has no EP additives and will fail miserably on the API wear tests that a "thinner" grade 80 GL-4 UTF with EP additives easily passes.

There is nothing wrong with using a 80W90 gear oil in the front axle of a Kubota tractor but it buys you nothing of consequence compared to a UTF. There is decades of real engineering data to back that up.

Dan
Based on your recommendation (and that of Kubota) I will stay with the SUDT-2 that is already in there.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Gear oil contauns

Say whst?

Sulfur in one form or another has been the primary extreme pressure (EP) additive in automotIve gear oil for better part of a century and is still used at some concentration in almost all formulations.

Phosphorus (esp ZDDP) is also used as an anti-wear compound but it is not considered an EP additive.

Dan
Based on your recommendation (and that of Kubota) I will stay with the SUDT-2 that is already in there.
I dont have a recommendation. I have what I believe is an informed opinion.

That opinion is based on years of reading tribology text books and scholarly articles not to mention the specific recommendations of many different OEMs. The OEMs belueve that a UTF provides all the wear protection needed in the front axle of their tractors.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yep. IMO.

When I changed the oil in the front axle of the BX25DLB shortly before I sold it, the manager of the local Kubota dealer told me that they only use gear oil and not UDT or similar in the front axle for the very reason you mention i.e. leaking/weeping seals. The manager of the dealership bought my BX25 for personal use, and was happy to know that I'd replaced the front axle oil and that I used gear oil based on his recommendation.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
And SUDT2 doesnt leak any less just because its in a rear axle.. If your front axle leaks when filled with SUDT2 it has bad seals.
maybe you didn't read what I wrote. I replaced the front seals in my BX because the

Dan
Who said anything about GL-1? The OP asked about TSC traveller which has a GL-5 rating. I'm not disputing your claims, but the traveller brand is perfectly fine.

I can tell you for certainty, that I did replace the bevel gear components and seals in the front of my BX due to wear. After filling with Kubota UDT (or whatever it was called then) I experienced weeps/leaks. I replaced that fluid with 80-90 gear oil (don't recall the brand) which solved the issue. No more leaks.

All I can say is that you get virtually no wear protection when you lose all of the fluid.

Ain't oil threads fun?

Fried - use whatever makes you most happy. ;)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have SUDT2 in the front axle of my BX. Intend to stay that way unless something starts to leak. I may then try 80-90 as others have done.

Similarly, recently saw something about SUDT2 versus 80-90 gear oil in the gearbox of the MMM.

I’ve honestly just changed with gear oil every year without thought, but SUDT2 may be the better choice. Some gear oils can be reactive to the brass gears in the box.

I’ll revisit in April 2025 when I get the MMM ready for next season. Nothing I’ll deal with until then.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
maybe you didn't read what I wrote. I replaced the front seals in my BX because the

Who said anything about GL-1? The OP asked about TSC traveller which has a GL-5 rating. I'm not disputing your claims, but the traveller brand is perfectly fine.

I can tell you for certainty, that I did replace the bevel gear components and seals in the front of my BX due to wear. After filling with Kubota UDT (or whatever it was called then) I experienced weeps/leaks. I replaced that fluid with 80-90 gear oil (don't recall the brand) which solved the issue. No more leaks.

All I can say is that you get virtually no wear protection when you lose all of the fluid.

Ain't oil threads fun?

Fried - use whatever makes you most happy. ;)
Gl-1 was cited to illustrate that small differences in kinematic viscosity is not anything thst drives wear performance. I made that perfectly clear. I also made it pefectly clear that the Traveller oil was GL-5 and more than adequate

So you inform us you roached an axle because you let it run dry. And thats because according to your dealer Kubotas have leaky front axle seals and wont hold the factory fill. Hmmmm - seems luke something Kubota should fix....

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have SUDT2 in the front axle of my BX. Intend to stay that way unless something starts to leak. I may then try 80-90 as others have done.

Similarly, recently saw something about SUDT2 versus 80-90 gear oil in the gearbox of the MMM.

I’ve honestly just changed with gear oil every year without thought, but SUDT2 may be the better choice. Some gear oils can be reactive to the brass gears in the box.

I’ll revisit in April 2025 when I get the MMM ready for next season. Nothing I’ll deal with until then.
GL-5 gear oil poses ZERO danger to the gearbox on your mower.

Dab

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So you inform us you roached an axle because you let it run dry. And thats because according to your dealer Kubotas have leaky front axle seals and wont hold the factory fill. Hmmmm - seems luke something Kubota should fix....

Dan
Incorrect. I never let it run dry.

I had to replace bevel gear parts and seals due to wear. After doing so, the NEW seals leaked with UDT fluid in the axle. I dumped that fluid and replaced it with gear oil...no more leaks.

Edit: Maybe the leaks were due to cold weather "shrinkage" of the O-rings? I don't know, but they leaked.

I didn't say anything about a kubota dealer. That was another poster.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Incorrect. I never let it run dry.

I had to replace bevel gear parts and seals due to wear. After doing so, the NEW seals leaked with UDT fluid in the axle. I dumped that fluid and replaced it with gear oil...no more leaks.

Edit: Maybe the leaks were due to cold weather "shrinkage" of the O-rings? I don't know, but they leaked.

I didn't say anything about a kubota dealer. That was another poster.
My bad.

So just to be clear are you telling us the bevel gear failure was caused by the use of UDT and would not have occured with a conventional gear oil?

Dan

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
GL-5 gear oil poses ZERO danger to the gearbox on your mower.

Dab
Dan - - - many thanks - - correct for my RCK54-23BX mower gearbox.

From the OP:

IMG_7187.jpeg

I began to wonder about the BX2750D snowblower gearbox.

From the OP:

IMG_7190.jpeg

This is the oil I use for both.

IMG_7189.jpeg

IMG_7188.jpeg