Looking for some "machine advice"

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I figured that there would be a "final push" and that the bids will go much higher than the current bids.

But I also figured that I am most likely bidding against someone "like" a Norman Machine tool; Therefore I am getting it a "wholesale cost"?

I was not a " Business Major" in college but I am thinking that people like Norman Tool need to (at least) double their output money due to the fact that these machines may sit for a while. (i.e. they buy it for 1500 and try to sell it for 4500 9 months later).

Everything that is in my price range will be used.

And although I hate to admit it, being a noob, with no one local that I know that is knowledgeable, I am at somewhat of a disadvantage, and to some extent, I will likely have to "hope and pray" that the machine I get will be "good nuff".

And another question I have is "how worn out, is too worn out?" for a guy like me? I ain't that good to begin with...hahahahah
You are bidding aginst the Normans and hundreds of people just yourself that will go higher than the Normans.

I have never dealt with Norman but I am sure those posted prices are negotiable. I am also sure I can drive the hour it takes to get there and see the machine run under power.

I will probably call Norman when if comes time (soon??) to liquidate my shop. The purchase price wil not be the best but they will have no problem doing the rigging and load out of a 8000 pound mill. And they will also be happy to give me pennies on the dollar for the two lathes and ALL of the tooling. One stop selling....

Too bad you are not nearby because that mill is a unique piece of well preserved old American (Cincinnati) iron and eats Bridgeports for breakfast.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Here is a video from one of the Normans. My mill is the same basic mill as the one in the video but it has a much nicer 3HP Cincinnati Toolmaster (Bridgeport style) vertical head on it. Everything on the mill works fine but the habdwheel casting for the X axis table feed is cracked and I bolted it together using an angle plate for a splint. How much do you think Norman would offer for it. As a reference they currently have this on their website and my Cincinnati is a much nicer and easier to sell machine.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here is a video from one of the Normans. My mill is the same basic mill as the one in the video but it has a much nicer 3HP Cincinnati Toolmaster (Bridgeport style) vertical head on it. Everything on the mill works fine but the habdwheel casting for the X axis table feed is cracked and I bolted it together using an angle plate for a splint. How much do you think Norman would offer for it. As a reference they currently have this on their website and my Cincinnati is a much nicer and easier to sell machine.

Dan

Based on a combination of my ignorance, your proximity to them (1 hour), their valuation of the one they have, and my aforementioned "return on investment" theory, I would think they would pay you somewhere between $4,500 to $6,500?

What say you?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Based on a combination of my ignorance, your proximity to them (1 hour), their valuation of the one they have, and my aforementioned "return on investment" theory, I would think they would pay you somewhere between $4,500 to $6,500?

What say you?
I would say SOLD!!! at anything in that range. I suspect the offer would be lower. Right now there are two Cinovas listed on Ebay for $5K and obe at $9K. Norman's price on the old K&T is total fantasy.

I paid $1300 for my mill and 15" rotary table 10+ years ago.. The seller was a heavy truck equipment dealer 10 minutes from me and he loaded it on a rollback I hired with his fork truck. I unloaded it on the gravel drive in front of my shop with a bottle of Dawn dish detergent and a come-a-long. Then I moved it into the shop with a 10K forklift I rented and mired in the gravel. I was still young and dumb and full of....

Should have had the driver back the rollback into the shop and then slid it off onto the concrete. Live and learn.

Dan

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Buying used machine tools will always involve some wear. How much is the question and the only way to find out is to physically operate the machine. Keep in mind the buyers premium when at an auction. After you win a bid they will tack on as much as 18% of the price. Ouch!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Buying used machine tools will always involve some wear. How much is the question and the only way to find out is to physically operate the machine. Keep in mind the buyers premium when at an auction. After you win a bid they will tack on as much as 18% of the price. Ouch!
Plus tax and the "rigging fee".

I'm kinda ok with the rigging fee, as I have no way of loading it on my trailer.

I called a "random rigger" in Ohio, and he "guesstimated" about 350 to load, and rig a lathe or a mill.

As a matter of fact I just signed up for an auction and it has no rigger, so it's cash and carry. I'm not sure I will be bidding on that one. Not sure how I would load a lathe or mill on my trailer.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Plus tax and the "rigging fee".

I'm kinda ok with the rigging fee, as I have no way of loading it on my trailer.

I called a "random rigger" in Ohio, and he "guesstimated" about 350 to load, and rig a lathe or a mill.

As a matter of fact I just signed up for an auction and it has no rigger, so it's cash and carry. I'm not sure I will be bidding on that one. Not sure how I would load a lathe or mill on my trailer.
Dont forget it has to be "unrigged" at the other end 🙄

Dan