What Is It?

Burg

Equipment
M4-071
Aug 17, 2022
Home
Found this winch in my late Fathers wood shed. It's some kind of winch. Any one know what it may have been used for? Has a 12 volt motor with three selonoids treminals. Also two selonoids, not sure how to wire them. Any help appreciated. OR should I just salvage the cable and motor for another use. I could however use a winch.
Stan

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Found this winch in my late Fathers wood shed. It's some kind of winch. Any one know what it may have been used for? Has a 12 volt motor with three selonoids treminals. Also two selonoids, not sure how to wire them. Any help appreciated. OR should I just salvage the cable and motor for another use. I could however use a winch.
Stan
Photo?

Burg

Equipment
M4-071
Aug 17, 2022
Home
Oops guess I do not know to add pics. Clicked on attach files but can't post pic?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I 'think' you have to reply/post 5x before you can send pictures ?
Easy to wire it up when we see the unit.

Burg

Equipment
M4-071
Aug 17, 2022
Home
I 'think' you have to reply/post 5x before you can send pictures ?
Easy to wire it up when we see the unit.
Thank you, maybe this did it? It has a worm gear to turn the large rusty sprocket.

Attachments

Caseywheels

Equipment
L355ss-high flotation tires, 3pt forks, 7ft Woods mower , 5ft bushog
May 14, 2024
Nooksack wa. Usa
Loois like a ..
Hickey sidewinder winch ...
they were optional on the 70s Chevy pickups & made to be hidden behind the factory bumper.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I remember reading about Sidewinders. There were some who complained about the skinny shape of the drum. With that shape the cable stacks quickly. With each wrap the winch's pulling force declines because it effectively increases the diameter of the drum. It could still be quite useful and perhaps valuable.

Back then I had a Belleview winch that also had Warn somewhere on it. That was power in / free spool out and had only one solenoid. Next one was a Warm 8274 power in / power out and I think that had 4 solenoids like my current XD9000i. Im guessing the Sidewinder is power in / free spool out.

Reactions: 1 user

Burg

Equipment
M4-071
Aug 17, 2022
Home
Loois like a ..
Hickey sidewinder winch ...
they were optional on the 70s Chevy pickups & made to be hidden behind the factory bumper.

I knew someone on here would know, it looks like you're the winner. Just googled it. One forum said somewhat rare but still in demand. Others saying difficult to control cable coming in.
Thanks
Probably play a bit with it this winter, see if I can free things up. Still need to figure out how to wire it. I don't see a way to reverse it, perhaps a switch is required?

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Interesting and I'll be looking for info. Gut feeling is power in only and two solenoids parallel to handle the current.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I knew someone on here would know, it looks like you're the winner. Just googled it. One forum said somewhat rare but still in demand. Others saying difficult to control cable coming in.
Thanks
Probably play a bit with it this winter, see if I can free things up. Still need to figure out how to wire it. I don't see a way to reverse it, perhaps a switch is required?
Its power in/ power out.

Good winch back in the day, with a few quirks.

I'd be more inclined to put it on Ebay for a parts winch.

But here is a little info about an install:

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Its power in/ power out.
My error:

After my last post I went searching and saw an old ad I recall seeing back in the day of a chevy hanging in a tree. Would have been difficult getting it back down with power in only:)

Also saw several references to the wiring being the same or similar to an older Warn 8274.

Reactions: 1 user

Crawlintoy1

Equipment
2012 L2800
Sep 23, 2024
Sandston, Va
If you can get it put back together mechanically, consider switching over to the new style soleniod packs that most new winches use.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
My error:

After my last post I went searching and saw an old ad I recall seeing back in the day of a chevy hanging in a tree. Would have been difficult getting it back down with power in only:)

Also saw several references to the wiring being the same or similar to an older Warn 8274.
Hickey.jpg
Hickey01.JPG

Reactions: 1 users