Starts easily but won't stay running

StandSureForge

Equipment
M9000
Sep 22, 2024
Texas
I have a 2001 Kubota M9000. For the last few months I have found it starts immediately but once I release the key it dies. This happens ususlly 2 or 3 times prior to it continuing to run. Lately it is taking 5 or 6 attempts to make it stay running. Any advice?

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
I had a bad ignition switch that would start my b7800 tractor and instead of going to run it went to off when i let go of the key. New switch in my case worked

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a 2001 Kubota M9000. For the last few months I have found it starts immediately but once I release the key it dies. This happens ususlly 2 or 3 times prior to it continuing to run. Lately it is taking 5 or 6 attempts to make it stay running. Any advice?
There is probably a solenoid that allows the tractor to be turned off with the key (and engine stops running). The same solenoid is probably used to stop the engine if one of the safety switches is not set properly.

That solenoid should get power in the run position and the crank position of the key switch.

If your tractor is reliable when it is running (doesn’t just die for unknown reason), then it sounds like there is some problem in the key switch that sometimes is not providing power in the run position.

There may be something more complicated if the tractor has a lot more sophistication with a lot of electronics like an ECU that is monitoring the tractor’s operation.

StandSureForge

Equipment
M9000
Sep 22, 2024
Texas
There is probably a solenoid that allows the tractor to be turned off with the key (and engine stops running). The same solenoid is probably used to stop the engine if one of the safety switches is not set properly.

That solenoid should get power in the run position and the crank position of the key switch.

If your tractor is reliable when it is running (doesn’t just die for unknown reason), then it sounds like there is some problem in the key switch that sometimes is not providing power in the run position.

There may be something more complicated if the tractor has a lot more sophistication with a lot of electronics like an ECU that is monitoring the tractor’s operation.
I'll look at the key switch, was leaning that way too. Yes, once it starts it runs great. Appreciate the help.