M-59 front bucket controls not working properly

Bruce Fehring

Equipment
zd18
Sep 28, 2009
Kilauea, Kauai, Hawaii
The front bucket controller on my M-59 works to bring the bucket up and down but does not work to turn the bucket. We are unsure about how to proceed. Could air have gotten into the system? If so, how do you resolve that? Is there a bleeder valve?

If that is not the problem, must I rep;lace the entire unit? Yowsa, sounds pricey...

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The front bucket controller on my M-59 works to bring the bucket up and down but does not work to turn the bucket. We are unsure about how to proceed. Could air have gotten into the system? If so, how do you resolve that? Is there a bleeder valve?

If that is not the problem, must I rep;lace the entire unit? Yowsa, sounds pricey...
Air is definitly not your problem and it's unlikely it's the loader valve. Since you are only having a problem with the bucket circuit focus your attention there.

Let's start with something really simple. The control valve is cable operated. Have you inspected the cable that operates the bucket spool and verified it's moving the spool in response to joystick movement?

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Definitely look at the control cables. Mine need a shot of spray lube every once in a while at both ends.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
The loader control valve is located low, on the right side under the treadle pedal. Access by removing a sheet metal cover. That sheet metal cover doesn’t provide much protection and is often bent up on older machines. If you operate in the woods or brush, a stick or debris can can get to the valve and may interfere with its’ operation.

I operate often in rough conditions. Incorporated more skid plate protection to the valve area with a tool, chain, chainsaw holder.
IMG_1388.jpeg
IMG_1387.jpeg
IMG_1383.jpeg

Slam63

Equipment
Kubota M59 (2009)
Sep 19, 2024
Yakima WA

I have about the same issues. and it started about a week ago.

The cables work ok from the wobble plate down, but the tilt controls are not going in/out all the way.

My issue is with the valve spools, and it has been way too long since I pulled a valve apart.

I will be pulling both cap and retainer off the tilt spool, and maybe the lift spool, as it sticks in the down position.

I can honestly say I have zero fear going in, but have a manual on its way to help with parts ID.

Smokeydog, that is some sweet work, beats the snot out of my modified bicycle basket.