Hydraulic Fluid Check on a L4802

John E. Law

Equipment
L4802
Sep 14, 2024
Bristol, NY
I took delivery of a 2024 L4802 HST a couple days ago. After a few hours of use, one of the backhoe hydraulic fittings came loose and I lost an undetermined amount of fluid. The manual doesn’t detail the best way to check the hydraulic fluid level. Mine has the sight window which I’m really not a fan of. I’d rather have a dipstick. With the fluid so clean and clear, I can’t tell if the sight glass is telling me if it’s below or overfilled. I know the machine has to be level and probably check when cold but what about all the attached impliments? Retract everything or fully extend? The manual only says lower them. What about the backhoe? With only 6 hours on the machine and at $36 a gallon I’d really like to avoid draining the fluid to fill it back up.
IMG_2124.jpeg
IMG_2154.jpeg

Last edited:

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
Try putting the appropriate outrigger down to see if you can get the fluid level to move so you can see it. Side to side or front to back.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
There is a dye you can add to the oil.

You can make a dipstick if there is a vertical hole that has access to the oil surface.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I took delivery of a 2024 L4802 HST a couple days ago. After a few hours of use, one of the backhoe hydraulic fittings came loose and I lost an undetermined amount of fluid. The manual doesn’t detail the best way to check the hydraulic fluid level. Mine has the sight window which I’m really not a fan of. I’d rather have a dipstick. With the fluid so clean and clear, I can’t tell if the sight glass is telling me if it’s below or overfilled. I know the machine has to be level and probably check when cold but what about all the attached impliments? Retract everything or fully extend? The manual only says lower them. What about the backhoe? With only 6 hours on the machine and at $36 a gallon I’d really like to avoid draining the fluid to fill it back up.
View attachment 137628 View attachment 137629
You can buy John Deere green hydraulic fluid dye on Amazon, for $16.06
It WILL work in an orange tractor! :ROFLMAO:

John E. Law

Equipment
L4802
Sep 14, 2024
Bristol, NY
So I cracked open the hydraulic fluid filter and drained the fluid until I could see a proper line in the sight window. Even with the loss of fluid through a loose fitting, I still drained off about 2 quarts to get to a proper level. That’s how it came from the dealership so I’m certain that’s not hurting anything. Now I know what it looks when the window is empty. I can sleep easy now.

PS Before starting, I adjusted the front loader and backhoe so all the hydraulic cylinders would be full or extended as best as I could. WOW WAS THAT FLUID FILTER ON TIGHT! I thought they were suppose to be hand-tightened only?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So I cracked open the hydraulic fluid filter and drained the fluid until I could see a proper line in the sight window. Even with the loss of fluid through a loose fitting, I still drained off about 2 quarts to get to a proper level. That’s how it came from the dealership so I’m certain that’s not hurting anything. Now I know what it looks when the window is empty. I can sleep easy now.

PS Before starting, I adjusted the front loader and backhoe so all the hydraulic cylinders would be full or extended as best as I could. WOW WAS THAT FLUID FILTER ON TIGHT! I thought they were suppose to be hand-tightened only?
I have been told that Kubota puts their filters on tight,.......and them paints them tight!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just curious on why you use the filter and did not just remove the sight glass to let the fluid drain down to that level?

I guess you would have to add some fluid back in doing it that way.