Grease fitting marred and bottomed out, wouldn't take grease

OrangeGee

Equipment
L2502, LA526 loader, Titan stump bucket
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
Hey all,

My questions are, what is the deal with this OEM grease fitting installment and should I do something different when installing the new one? Do I need to be concerned with the bearing and pin longevity because of this, and/or should I pursue any warranty stuff while I still have warranty?

L2502, LA526 loader, top most and main pivot pin grease fitting wasn't taking grease for me. After trying a bunch of different things to get grease in, I decided to remove it and put in a new one. PITA.

After I removed it, it appears the factory fitting was bottomed out on the pin. The pin center grease channel is also not centered on the grease fitting and it's apparent in the wear on the tip of the grease fitting. Half of the width of the pin's grease channel is out of view of the grease fitting port. I'm assuming the grease channel doesn't need to be exactly aligned with the fitting because that pin seems like it could float a little bit anyway? The channel just needs some overlap with the grease port for grease to have a place to flow, yeah?

I'm also assuming I shouldn't bottom out the new fitting into the pin.

Thanks All

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think you might want to call the dealer and have them PULL that pin and replace it !

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
grind/file 1/16" off the new Zerk. test fit, remove more if required
or...
find another , shorter Zerk. They do come in several threaded lengths.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have also seen zerks installed with a tight-fitting washer installed under the hex.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
grind/file 1/16" off the new Zerk. test fit, remove more if required
or...
find another , shorter Zerk. They do come in several threaded lengths.
Don't bother with it!
Make the dealer do it!

Last edited:

OrangeGee

Equipment
L2502, LA526 loader, Titan stump bucket
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
Thanks guys. I should mention, I don't own a means to get the tractor to the dealer. And their round trip fee is $300 not covered by warranty. If my zerk issue doesn't have anything critically alarming about it, and requires a bit of my own elbow grease, I'm fine just doing that to save $$$ and hassle. If this is a big deal, like the loader or pin isn't properly aligned, I'll have it taken in.

Is my assumption correct in that the pin grease channel isn't supposed to be perfectly aligned with the grease fitting port?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks guys. I should mention, I don't own a means to get the tractor to the dealer. And their round trip fee is $300 not covered by warranty. If my zerk issue doesn't have anything critically alarming about it, and requires a bit of my own elbow grease, I'm fine just doing that to save $$$ and hassle. If this is a big deal, like the loader or pin isn't properly aligned, I'll have it taken in.

Is my assumption correct in that the pin grease channel isn't supposed to be perfectly aligned with the grease fitting port?

I would place the loader in such a "safe" way - remove the bolt/pin what ever and see if the pin can be tapped out. IF IT comes out, and I bet it will not easily, take IT AND THE ZERK to the dealer and have them do the math!!!

Worse case is you may need another pin - best case they GIVE you another pin!!!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas

The pin can probably move some under the fitting so may not line up exactly in the center of the zerk hole. But it should be well within the hole since the groove provides a low pressure path for the grease to move into and get into the annular space around the pin.

See if you can tap the end of the pin and get it to move at all.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If you can't find a shorter one I'd go with a washer under it.

If you try to shorten it, the spring will likely fall out, than the ball can go somewhere it shouldn't. Grease might come back out, and lacking the check ball dirt might get in.