What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Took down a hickory tree yesterday for a neighbor.
IMG_3792.jpeg

It had a bit of back lean, so rigged up and pulled it out in the yard to avoid a tangled mess to work in. I put a stick in the yard for a sight and the trunk was 6” from the stick when the tree fell. Used the LX2610 to pull the rope taught, then cut until I saw the back cut widen, then pulled it over. Had 3 snatch blocks on the sisal rope and a nylon rope tied to the tree. Anchor point was a strap around a good size red oak.

Used the WC-68 to chip the top of it along with a few other cut up tops and brush this morning. Swapped out the grapple for the bucket and spread some of the chip pile to cover the path to Cluckingham Palace. The girls are all standing at the run fence drooling to get in the new stuff spread around their house.

Reactions: 10 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Pulled up a bunch of t posts and 10 or so wooden posts that were used for electric fencing from the previous owner in the front pasture. Gotta install 3 gates cause previous owner just the cut barbwire fences and used cattle panels as gates for his sheep.
I threw the previous owners velcro mitten gloves and his rubber boots on the burn pile. I put the PHD on and serviced the gear box and zerks. Gotta get the rusted drive shaft to unfreeze, so I can get that attached. Gonna pull the tractor out of the shop and pour diesel or ATF oil down the shield. J/k about the velcro mittens & boots, but that guy was a bit of a screwball, so it wouldn't surprise me, lol.

20240908_141739.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Used forks and carryall to bring some timber down the hill to processing area. Been sitting for 3 years since we cleared for the road. Hardwood lasts a long time. Will start bucking and splitting later this week.

Reactions: 1 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
View attachment 137125
It had a bit of back lean, so rigged up and pulled it out in the yard to avoid a tangled mess to work in. I put a stick in the yard for a sight and the trunk was 6” from the stick when the tree fell. Used the LX2610 to pull the rope taught, then cut until I saw the back cut widen, then pulled it over. Had 3 snatch blocks on the sisal rope and a nylon rope tied to the tree. Anchor point was a strap around a good size red oak.

Used the WC-68 to chip the top of it along with a few other cut up tops and brush this morning. Swapped out the grapple for the bucket and spread some of the chip pile to cover the path to Cluckingham Palace. The girls are all standing at the run fence drooling to get in the new stuff spread around their house.
I bought a WC-68 a couple months ago. So far I have been running it on the old 8N as I have the BH77 on the l2501. I just wondered how well your feed roller works. I have done some of the adjustments and I also changed the pump suction hose end for end. That helped some as originally it had a high bend coming out of the tank end. I think that might contribute to it getting some air in the line, maybe it drains back some every time it is off. It should really be a flooded suction. I just think it stalls the roller too easy no matter where I set it for feed rate. I bought another of those type of valves from Summit Hydraulics that is the same but has a relief on it. Hoping to try that and see if it makes a difference. I made a hydraulic ram that runs off the tractor I can flip down and use to raise the roller when it clogs. That works really nice. Take the pto out of gear, flip the device down and raise the feed roller takes only a couple minutes. Going to take some pictures and write a thread on the customization forum but I've been busy with well problem here lately.

Bill

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
This is kind of a goofy one.

Set up a 10’ diameter, 32” deep pool for the wife this spring. Time to take it down for the year. She preferred to keep a soft cover on it when not in use so had that to deal with as well.

It has a drain plug that’s threaded to mate up with a standard water hose (it’s small). Pulled the plug yesterday evening and chucked the cover out on the grass to dry.

Came back this morning to find the cover was mostly dry on the top side but wet on the underside where it was dry yesterday. Pool had drained to the bottom of the little drain hole, leaving about 3” water in the bottom. 3” doesn’t sound like a lot, but it looked like a lot so I decided to bust out some high school geometry and mathed some math before proceeding. 10’ diameter (60” radius) and 3” depth: 3.14x60x60x3 = 33,912 cu in. According to my convert almost anything to almost anything else app, that’s about 146 US liquid gallons. More of a pump job than shop vac job since I don’t own a super giant shop vac. Thought I’d use the pool’s filter pump. It was not interested in lifting water the approximately 36” to clear the sidewall. Only portable sump pump I have would have gotten it to maybe 1” but that’s still quite a bit left.

Looking at it, I was thinking if there was some way to lift one end and dump it out, that might work. Pool doesn’t weigh much, but 146 gallons of water at 8.14 lb/gal is about 1200lb so I ain’t lifting it. Thought the gaps in the wall support loops might be just wide enough to carefully slide the forks in so gave it a shot and it actually worked. The left fork went in and held with no issue. For some reason, pool frame kept low key trying to slide off the right fork so I blocked its exit with a C clamp and started lifting.

Lifted just enough to get it flowing again. Walked by once in a while to drive forward a little and raise a little more as it kept losing weight. Still had the pool cover to hang out to dry somewhere, so draped it over the back. Shop vacuumed the last 10 gallons out of the pool, by which time the loader was max height. About 4 hours later it was all dry. (About 30 minutes after photos were taken the sun moved to put it all in full sun for the next 8 hours.) Dismantled the frame, folded the pool and cover, and boxed up everything for next year.

I’m aware there’s probably a much better “normal person” procedure for this. I don’t know what it is other than use a pump I don’t have. This worked pretty well. It looked so silly pics were required. No pools or tractors were harmed in this photo shoot.
IMG_3074.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
My neighbor has outside cats. A lot of them. The local hawk and owl population tends to keep them in check. Nothing better than watching a cat stalk a rodent while a hawk watches them.
Damn, got owls and hawks in the woods behind me. Also got lots of feral cats. Wonder why they don't keep the cat population in check. Wonder if they are on some sort of welfare and don't need to hunt.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Range backstop repair complete. Unfortunately, it was wetter back there than I had hoped. I'll need to do some grass cleanup.

The backstop face logs lasted about 7 years. They got pounded pretty hard and were starting to rot.

Start:
Backstop 1.JPG

Backstop 3.JPG

Backstop 7.JPG

Backstop 8.JPG

Backstop 10.JPG

Done...need to fasten some chain to hang my targets

Backstop 12.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
View attachment 137125

Interesting. Not the way I would have done it I think. But of course I didn’t see the tree or the surroundings. Mostly just because I’m green and don’t know how to rig anything really at all. I would have been afraid the tractor wouldn’t weigh enough. And I would have been really afraid the tree would barberchair. Thanks for posting I love seeing the way people do things, gives me things to think about!

afphinfan

Equipment
Kubota L4300
Aug 9, 2024
Lake Martin, AL
I’ve just finished cutting in firebreaks around the areas we are going to plant long leaf pines on. I have alternated between box blade with rippers, disc harrow, and landscape rake. Happy to have everything on my part done and blessed by the NRCS. Next will be having it burnt in the next 60 days and then planted a few months after that.

This old used Kubota has been good to me and Im sure will be used for other projects soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I bought a WC-68 a couple months ago. So far I have been running it on the old 8N as I have the BH77 on the l2501. I just wondered how well your feed roller works. I have done some of the adjustments and I also changed the pump suction hose end for end. That helped some as originally it had a high bend coming out of the tank end. I think that might contribute to it getting some air in the line, maybe it drains back some every time it is off. It should really be a flooded suction. I just think it stalls the roller too easy no matter where I set it for feed rate. I bought another of those type of valves from Summit Hydraulics that is the same but has a relief on it. Hoping to try that and see if it makes a difference. I made a hydraulic ram that runs off the tractor I can flip down and use to raise the roller when it clogs. That works really nice. Take the pto out of gear, flip the device down and raise the feed roller takes only a couple minutes. Going to take some pictures and write a thread on the customization forum but I've been busy with well problem here lately.

Bill
I haven’t had any stalling issues other than the tractor not being quite large enough for the chipper. Quite the contrary as far as the hydraulic system is concerned. My primary issue is tweaking the safety bar so that it stays engaged, but not so much that it doesn’t release under moderate pressure. I have turned the flow rate nearly off because of HP limits (19 at the PTO). This has also taught me the importance of keeping the knives very sharp and how quickly ’dirty’ material will dull them. I would like it better if the infeed adjustment was closer to the mid range of the valve. As is, like I said, I have it turned nearly off. This chipper would be a monster behind a 50HP tractor. My biggest beef with the infeed is the amount of effort and finagling it takes to get anything over 2” diameter past the roller. The roller simply won’t climb up on larger material, especially green hardwoods unless I cut the ends at a very sharp angle.

Please make sure to keep me posted on your mods. I would love something similar to open the jaws, so to speak. When you say ’clog’ I’m assuming you mean basically overloading the tractor. I find that the feed rate is better left slow for lower HP ranges, which is still far faster than poking stuff in by hand in a 6HP 3” gasser. I call a clog as what happens when the last 4” or so of a large branch gets crossways and the knives slice off large slabs that plug up the chute. That’s always fun to clean out. The amount of reduction in the chute for the swivel joint is a pretty nasty bottleneck, but the distance between the infeed roller and the cutting anvil is the real issue. I find that sharp knives tend to resolve this issue, too.

One mod I have considered is to change the grip edges of the infeed roller to pointed teeth to prevent it slipping off the edge of larger pieces and making the roller ‘hop’ and bang and torture my shoulders trying out muscle the sptings.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Interesting. Not the way I would have done it I think. But of course I didn’t see the tree or the surroundings. Mostly just because I’m green and don’t know how to rig anything really at all. I would have been afraid the tractor wouldn’t weigh enough. And I would have been really afraid the tree would barberchair. Thanks for posting I love seeing the way people do things, gives me things to think about!
The trick is to pull just enough to remove the slack in the rigging, and only enough to make sure the tree doesn’t pinch the bar on the back cut. I.E., nullify the back lean. The primary purpose of the rigging is only to prevent the tree from falling in the unwanted direction. All the rigging goes on before the saw is even started, ergo basically just opposing gravity a little. Then cut the notch, make the back cut leaving enough for a substantial hinge, and as Tony Beets says, “give ‘er”. The snatch block configuration give a 3:1 multiplier for applied force as well as the tensile strength of the rope. The rope will break long before the tractor slips, and that rope is rated for about 600# tensile strength, giving me up to 1800# tensile strength between the anchor and the tree. The whole tree probably wasn’t more than 1000#. The tree was almost vertical, so it probably took less than 100# tension to pull it back over center. The tractor just pulls it better than my arthritic back.

Barber chair happens when there is no relief to hinge the felling and the back cut is made. Cutting below the hinge notch can also cause some very unwanted results. My biggest quandary with felling is whether the notch will be a standard notch, or Humbolt notch. Humbolt notch is handy to kick the trunk off the stump and help the tree land flat for less breakage, as in felling for lumber.

As far as reversing the natural fall of the tree, the only way I know is to pull it, or use a tree jack (which I don’t have). My LX2610SU is nearly 3500# with loaded tires, so yea, I think it’s heavy enough to hold a 600# rope.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Me and the neighbor hired the same tree service to remove some rather large trees from places we didn’t like large trees. He had 16 trees removed, and I had 11 removed. The service showed up with a monster that could easily handle about 40T at 120’ reach, and easily put all the trees on the ground with less noise than a chainsaw. I’m sawmill shopping, so decided to keep as much of the wood as possible, so wound up moving at least 20 logs, some of which were all my little LX wanted. Only one was too much to lift with the FEL, so I dragged it instead. Win-win for the tree service because they only had to mobilize equipment once for two jobs, and for us because we’ve both used them before and got a hefty discount.

Too busy for action pics today, but still have a few logs to move tomorrow. One is at least 20’ long, and probably more than the LX wants. My little LS grapple was nearly too small for some of the logs I moved today but I managed to get them without dropping more than a couple, but several times for one that’s well over 24” diameter and 10’ long. Water oak is HEAVY.

Log pics tomorrow.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I haven’t had any stalling issues other than the tractor not being quite large enough for the chipper. Quite the contrary as far as the hydraulic system is concerned. My primary issue is tweaking the safety bar so that it stays engaged, but not so much that it doesn’t release under moderate pressure. I have turned the flow rate nearly off because of HP limits (19 at the PTO). This has also taught me the importance of keeping the knives very sharp and how quickly ’dirty’ material will dull them. I would like it better if the infeed adjustment was closer to the mid range of the valve. As is, like I said, I have it turned nearly off. This chipper would be a monster behind a 50HP tractor. My biggest beef with the infeed is the amount of effort and finagling it takes to get anything over 2” diameter past the roller. The roller simply won’t climb up on larger material, especially green hardwoods unless I cut the ends at a very sharp angle.

Please make sure to keep me posted on your mods. I would love something similar to open the jaws, so to speak. When you say ’clog’ I’m assuming you mean basically overloading the tractor. I find that the feed rate is better left slow for lower HP ranges, which is still far faster than poking stuff in by hand in a 6HP 3” gasser. I call a clog as what happens when the last 4” or so of a large branch gets crossways and the knives slice off large slabs that plug up the chute. That’s always fun to clean out. The amount of reduction in the chute for the swivel joint is a pretty nasty bottleneck, but the distance between the infeed roller and the cutting anvil is the real issue. I find that sharp knives tend to resolve this issue, too.

One mod I have considered is to change the grip edges of the infeed roller to pointed teeth to prevent it slipping off the edge of larger pieces and making the roller ‘hop’ and bang and torture my shoulders trying out muscle the sptings.
Good Morning Old_Paint,
The clogs for me are when as you say a short piece gets rolling around sideways and stops further feeding.
The feed roller issue is it stops spinning and I have to reverse the push bar to get it backed out and try again. It also lacks enough grip at times to overcome a 1/2" branch off a limb that is facing up.
I'm 71 and have arthritis in hands and shoulders too. I found out quickly I have just milliseconds to let go one after I get a feed started to let it go or it is going to jerk and pull to the right.
I have only stalled the 8N a couple times but that is where I have to jack the roller to get the piece out before It can be restarted. That is where I got the idea first using a jack between the blower housing and the roller frame to take the pressure off. I had an old jack left from my 93 ford ranger that fit in there nice and then made the hydraulic device . It could probably be duplicated with a bottle jack laid on its side but it has to be under I think 8". I also modified a extendible windshield brush/scraper to reach into pull the clog pieces out. All done with the chipper stopped obviously.

I will try to get the pictures taken and writeup. Still messing with well issue but that is another story.

Bill

ajschnitzelbank

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, BH92, Frost Bite grapple, Logosol M8 mill, Stihl MS661
Aug 24, 2021
Rensselaer County NY
The trick is to pull just enough to remove the slack in the rigging, and only enough to make sure the tree doesn’t pinch the bar on the back cut. I.E., nullify the back lean. The primary purpose of the rigging is only to prevent the tree from falling in the unwanted direction. All the rigging goes on before the saw is even started, ergo basically just opposing gravity a little. Then cut the notch, make the back cut leaving enough for a substantial hinge, and as Tony Beets says, “give ‘er”. The snatch block configuration give a 3:1 multiplier for applied force as well as the tensile strength of the rope. The rope will break long before the tractor slips, and that rope is rated for about 600# tensile strength, giving me up to 1800# tensile strength between the anchor and the tree. The whole tree probably wasn’t more than 1000#. The tree was almost vertical, so it probably took less than 100# tension to pull it back over center. The tractor just pulls it better than my arthritic back.

Barber chair happens when there is no relief to hinge the felling and the back cut is made. Cutting below the hinge notch can also cause some very unwanted results. My biggest quandary with felling is whether the notch will be a standard notch, or Humbolt notch. Humbolt notch is handy to kick the trunk off the stump and help the tree land flat for less breakage, as in felling for lumber.

As far as reversing the natural fall of the tree, the only way I know is to pull it, or use a tree jack (which I don’t have). My LX2610SU is nearly 3500# with loaded tires, so yea, I think it’s heavy enough to hold a 600# rope.
Cool, thanks.

The way I’ve dealt with back lean is to use a wedge. Why not do it that way? (This is a genuine question, not trying to challenge your approach!)