BX24

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
BX24 I inherited a BX24 with both the bucket & backhoe. Really can't tell you what yr. as eyesight very bad these days (age), believe an 08.
Anyways, all 4 tires have dry rotted, with one completely broken-down to shreds. I'd like to have them replaced prior to winter setting in.
The present tread looks to be the standard industrial. I've pretty much only used baby "OJ" while plowing the drive last winter.
Leaning towards perhaps hybrid style tread. My drive isn't all that long less than 1000ft, semi steep, packed gravel.
I'd like to include the choices I've run across via Amazon, hoping others may lend a hand, pros / cons / experience etc.
Certainly, open to other ideas, options.

The prices are fairly reasonable going with both 4 tires & rims sets.
Versa-Turf $1,076.00
XT41 $800.00
Terra-Trac $800.00

Thank You Kindly
Scott

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Scott - your tractor probably came with “R4” industrial tires.

Neighbor has a BX24 with R4. Don’t think there were many options at the time.

Unless there’s issues with the wheels (rims), I would just put new tires on them.

You need to be concerned with the rolling circumference ratio of the fronts versus the rear tires. If out of wack can cause damage to the four wheel drive system.

I’m assuming the “hybrid” you’re looking for is an R14 tire. Will likely fit on your current wheels, but again pay attention to rolling circumference of each.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I bought a spare set of wheels years ago from Kubota, and over the years I’ve read over other people doing the same thing. If you order a set of four wheels with tires mounted on them from a Kubota dealer through the sales department, which used to be called whole goods, you can get a really good price For pick up at their dealership

Perhaps someone who did this recently might be able to share what they paid. Or you could just call the Kabota dealer and ask for the sales department, not the parts department, and tell them you want a set of four tires and wheels for a BX 24 and see what they tell you. Be sure to mention whole goods.

of course, this would only work if you find the standard tires offered for the BX today would meet your requirements…

Reactions: 1 users

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Scott - your tractor probably came with “R4” industrial tires.

Neighbor has a BX24 with R4. Don’t think there were many options at the time.

Unless there’s issues with the wheels (rims), I would just put new tires on them.

You need to be concerned with the rolling circumference ratio of the fronts versus the rear tires. If out of wack can cause damage to the four wheel drive system.

I’m assuming the “hybrid” you’re looking for is an R14 tire. Will likely fit on your current wheels, but again pay attention to rolling circumference of each.
TY RCW. Yes Industrial (R4). The 3 tread patterns in the photo are those of interest in the hybrid family. What little details listed on their sales page all listed as same size as what's on the tractor at the moment. Guess need me a good snow tire since winter is where it sees use. Rest of the yr. sits. I didn't think any of the 3 tire choices too bad price wise, esp. when the Orange dealer closest to me 75 / 100+ miles wants way more just for rubber alone & wanting to sell the same style already have, which I didn't think did well in the snow last season. Having them already fitted on rims a nice touch, saving me the trouble of arranging both a costly home installation, and, or, shop time. At 94 I be no "spring chicken" now-ah-days. The BX about as small as they come, that too can be a chore climbing on / off at times. Does Kubota fit tractors with wheelchair ramps or stations? lol.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
I bought a spare set of wheels years ago from Kubota, and over the years I’ve read over other people doing the same thing. If you order a set of four wheels with tires mounted on them from a Kubota dealer through the sales department, which used to be called whole goods, you can get a really good price For pick up at their dealership

Perhaps someone who did this recently might be able to share what they paid. Or you could just call the Kabota dealer and ask for the sales department, not the parts department, and tell them you want a set of four tires and wheels for a BX 24 and see what they tell you. Be sure to mention whole goods.

of course, this would only work if you find the standard tires offered for the BX today would meet your requirements…
TY Henro Looks like you slipped in there while I typed other. I checked with a pair of Orange dealers closest to me roughly 100+ miles from home base, Eash was within a couple $100 of one another however seemed rather pricey, or, perhaps looking at an easy target with quotes over $2200. Perhaps those indeed are the going rates these days. I may be forced to have a plow come do the work, which the lowest was $120 per time, which can get up there esp. if we get back to backs like some yrs.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You say you’re plowing your driveway. At 94, my hat’s off to you.

It’s possible that tire chains would make that easier/ more efficient irrespective of the type of tire you choose.

I have a similar BX tractor with a snowblower, and cannot reliably push the snowblower without chains.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Yes indeed 94, though the last few yrs. really feeling much older. I actually had purchased chains for all 4 tires 2 yrs. ago. Installed tighteners at the same time. First trip down the drive pushing snow 1 chain broke due to cleats just catching the frame at the back wheels due to being such a tight clearance. I became so po'd as they were relatively expensive, I took others off, make do without them. Both Hospice / Volunteers think I should just waste away at the "Sunshine Home" rather than weather the storm at my age. The bucket needs a new cutting edge, sadly a former co-worker / friend (so I thought) stole the brand-new welder all the accessories, snap-on welding helmet Upright air compressor, along with cutting torches, tanks of argon, axceddi both my hand tools along with those inherited from Dad. Anyways I'm wondering off topic, very easy for me to do. Anyways, Thank You for lending both a helping hand, along with allowing me to bend thy ears.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
TY Henro Looks like you slipped in there while I typed other. I checked with a pair of Orange dealers closest to me roughly 100+ miles from home base, Eash was within a couple $100 of one another however seemed rather pricey, or, perhaps looking at an easy target with quotes over $2200. Perhaps those indeed are the going rates these days. I may be forced to have a plow come do the work, which the lowest was $120 per time, which can get up there esp. if we get back to backs like some yrs.
I believe I remember somebody saying they bought a set of four tires/wheels for their BX from the Kubota dealer for around $600. Hopefully someone that has actually made the purchase recently will read this thread and speak up.

I know when I bought my spare set for the BX2200 I paid $300, but that was 20 years ago

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Here is what I paid for my tires and wheels from the SALES DEPARTMENT at my local Kubota dealer. The tires came mounted to the wheels. They were one complete unit.

Notice that I bought them from the sales department, not the parts department. The tires and wheels through the parts department will cost more than double what the sales department charges for the same thing This was in 2019. They most assuredly will cost more today but still way cheaper than getting them through the parts department.

ABXR8771 F TURF BX2370/ 2670 2@$90.00 ea
ABXR8712 R TURF BX2370/2670 2@$135.00 ea
Invoice Total $450.00
Tax Amount $40.95
Grand Total $490.95

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Here is what I paid for my tires and wheels from the SALES DEPARTMENT at my local Kubota dealer. The tires came mounted to the wheels. They were one complete unit.

Notice that I bought them from the sales department, not the parts department. The tires and wheels through the parts department will cost more than double what the sales department charges for the same thing This was in 2019. They most assuredly will cost more today but still way cheaper than getting them through the parts department.

ABXR8771 F TURF BX2370/ 2670 2@$90.00 ea
ABXR8712 R TURF BX2370/2670 2@$135.00 ea
Invoice Total $450.00
Tax Amount $40.95
Grand Total $490.95
TY Everyone for the ideas, figures etc. It just happened while reading the forums big Orange called from the sales dept. They would put together a package of 4 tires & wheels. Tires being R14T. The cost would be $580, with freight being $300, perhaps even more as they said had no idea what it may cost. They would also offer the same package / price for the R3 Turf I believe the number was if those would be a better fit for winter use. Either package would possibly take up to a months' time to arrive at the dealer. What do you folks think? Also, the tire type?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
TY Everyone for the ideas, figures etc. It just happened while reading the forums big Orange called from the sales dept. They would put together a package of 4 tires & wheels. Tires being R14T. The cost would be $580, with freight being $300, perhaps even more as they said had no idea what it may cost. They would also offer the same package / price for the R3 Turf I believe the number was if those would be a better fit for winter use. Either package would possibly take up to a months' time to arrive at the dealer. What do you folks think? Also, the tire type?
Are you sure that the sales department was who called you? It sounds to me like it was te parts department because the parts department at my local dealership charges for freight but the sales department did not charge me freight.

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
Are you sure that the sales department was who called you? It sounds to me like it was te parts department because the parts department at my local dealership charges for freight but the sales department did not charge me freight.
I had asked if sales rather than parts & they identified themselves as sales. Have to be honest becoming more and more confused along with feeling very leery. So many tread choices, been reading best I can thru the forums here as well so many differing experiences etc. Has me wanting to crawl back under the covers forget the tractor altogether. lol Haven't given up total hope just yet.

DanDavis

Equipment
Kubota L Series Tractors
Sep 3, 2024
Montana
BX24 I inherited a BX24 with both the bucket & backhoe. Really can't tell you what yr. as eyesight very bad these days (age), believe an 08.
Anyways, all 4 tires have dry rotted, with one completely broken-down to shreds. I'd like to have them replaced prior to winter setting in.
The present tread looks to be the standard industrial. I've pretty much only used baby "OJ" while plowing the drive last winter.
Leaning towards perhaps hybrid style tread. My drive isn't all that long less than 1000ft, semi steep, packed gravel.
I'd like to include the choices I've run across via Amazon, hoping others may lend a hand, pros / cons / experience etc.
Certainly, open to other ideas, options.

The prices are fairly reasonable going with both 4 tires & rims sets.
Versa-Turf $1,076.00
XT41 $800.00
Terra-Trac $800.00

Thank You Kindly
Scott
for me I would definitely choose Versa-Turf. It’s a bit expensive but trust me they are worth it. Maybe try a different platform or tire model?

SMRY

Equipment
BX24
Sep 8, 2024
VT
for me I would definitely choose Versa-Turf. It’s a bit expensive but trust me they are worth it. Maybe try a different platform or tire model?
My very much younger neighbor stopped by looked at the present tires. Believes only really need the 1 rear haven gone to shreds. They believe throwing money away, least for this winter, esp. whatever time I've got left lol. Anyways I visited Messicks online for the hell of it. 4 R14s on rims came in at just over $600. No idea what shipping may be as i just stuck them in the cart for a total, without going further as wasn't sure if next step would order them without knowing shipping, if any. I just don't know. To me R14 look about like the present R4 with perhaps tighter voids, several large sipes / chunks from the bars themselves with perhaps a little more of a chevron pattern to them. Yrs ago when into the 4x4 seen I operated the old Jeeps with both Boggers, TSLs later in life I outfitted the very last Jeep with their Trxus MT which was great in snow. Looking at the 3 tire choices I shared above in original post the Terra Trac still catches my eye. That too may be overkill the amount of use I preform with the tractor.

I have considered just purchasing 1 replacement R4 on rim, then sipe / groove all of them myself, as, believe I've still the hot knives, however, not too sure I have the strength let alone eyesight for that task these days.

Last edited: