BX23 vs BX25D vs BX23S

Doughboyea

Aug 28, 2024
Central CT
Still a rookie trying to figure these Kubotas out. Honestly, their model numbers and pricing are confusing. There are two local and one further away that are for sale and are of interest to me. I'm reading that each successive BX model builds on the prior, so I have to assume that the later models are "better" than the older ones. Which model is better? Here are the ads:
BX23.jpg

2004 Kubota BX23 - $17,500, Roughly 10 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Agri Tires, 268 hrs
Seller said:
low mileage, single owner and always garaged. Used for personal residential use only. Always maintained and almost ready for the 300 hr. maintenance.
So I read the above as meaning its a 20 year old tractor with a big maintenance due (all fluid change). Hours are low for period, but many seasons. Could possibly drive it home.

BX25D.jpg

2013-2014 Kubota BX25D - $17,850, Roughly 10 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Turf Tires, 305 hrs
Seller said:
Looking to sell my Kubota BX25D with 308 hours. All maintenance up to date with all fluids changed at 300 hours. Comes with front loader, backhoe, post hole digger 9” and a cover. Tractor is in great shape. I can deliver it locally. Looking for $17850.. I could add a 16’ 3 year old trailer for additional $3500.
I read this one as newer model, maintenance completed (pending verification), highest priced, has extras (auger and cover), optional trailer is a bonus and tempting, but not for $3500. Photos show trailer with no ramp, but wooden rails, Big-Tex model with double axle. Photos show tractor looking clean, no major blemishes, except where you'd expect (buckets). Could possibly drive it home.

BX23S.jpg

2018 Kubota BX23S - $15,900, Roughly 45 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Agri Tires, 493 hrs
Seller said:
Kubota BX 23S , 4WD, 493 hours Tractor , loader, backhoe & 60" mid mount mower. This is the combination machine everyone is looking for . No leaks. No smoke . Very nice machine. Located in Branford, CT. No Trades.
Ad has a video of loader and backhoe being used. Rear of seat is missing door panel for manual, no manual visible. This is the newest of the bunch, but oddly also the most affordable. Comes with mower deck. Getting it to my house will be difficult. Looks like it was parked outside a bit with fading of the steering wheel.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Still a rookie trying to figure these Kubotas out. Honestly, their model numbers and pricing are confusing. There are two local and one further away that are for sale and are of interest to me. I'm reading that each successive BX model builds on the prior, so I have to assume that the later models are "better" than the older ones. Which model is better? Here are the ads:
View attachment 136830
2004 Kubota BX23 - $17,500, Roughly 10 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Agri Tires, 268 hrs

So I read the above as meaning its a 20 year old tractor with a big maintenance due (all fluid change). Hours are low for period, but many seasons. Could possibly drive it home.

View attachment 136832
2013-2014 Kubota BX25D - $17,850, Roughly 10 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Turf Tires, 305 hrs

I read this one as newer model, maintenance completed (pending verification), highest priced, has extras (auger and cover), optional trailer is a bonus and tempting, but not for $3500. Photos show trailer with no ramp, but wooden rails, Big-Tex model with double axle. Photos show tractor looking clean, no major blemishes, except where you'd expect (buckets). Could possibly drive it home.

View attachment 136833
2018 Kubota BX23S - $15,900, Roughly 45 minutes away
Loader, Backhoe, Agri Tires, 493 hrs

Ad has a video of loader and backhoe being used. Rear of seat is missing door panel for manual, no manual visible. This is the newest of the bunch, but oddly also the most affordable. Comes with mower deck. Getting it to my house will be difficult. Looks like it was parked outside a bit with fading of the steering wheel.
Go for the newest model (if condition is good).

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The BX25D looks best to me. Slightly lower hours, and well maintained.

I think the BX23 is too old, and I think that model is the one based off the BX2350 platform, and that had plastic panels that break easily. I had a BX2350 that had every bit of plastic on it broken, I wouldn't advise it. Mechanically they're mostly the same, so it's not a bad machine, but for similar money and similar hours, the BX25D is 10 years newer.

The BX23S looks to me like it's been used a bit harder. It's still low hours, but it's not as pretty as the others. I think the BX25D is based off the BX2370 platform, the BX23S is based off the BX2380. There wasn't a lot of change between them, so not that big a deal.

Having said that, the pictures don't do the newest one justice, so potentially in the flesh it's been very well maintained. In which case, it's the one to buy.

Consider the tires. The newest (BX23S) has industrials, the middle one (BX25D) has turfs. That's material if you care which tires. Also consider attachments. To me a mid mount mower is way more useful than a post hole digger. If you want one or other attachment, that'd also swing me.

Getting it home I'd worry less about. Surely you can borrow a trailer, know someone who'd give you a hand, or can rent a trailer for a day? I wouldn't compromise on something else just for that.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I agree 100% with Paul- the XX50 series sucks with the plastic - ( I have one)

the first two are WAY over priced.

the mmm is huge plus too!

The 23s is the way to go - pay someone to haul it!

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My 'vote' is for the BX23S.
Has the heavy duty scraper bar on the front bucket and the MMM. Has less than 1/2 the hours my machine does(same year but SSQA).
Looks like 'pin on' style bucket ?

getting it home is easy. borrow or rent a '16' car hauler ' trailer, maybe $100 ?

Reactions: 1 users

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
Be careful with the BX23S units. I found a lot of them that were previous rental units (Home Depot, etc.) and like rental cars, you DON'T want one that's been used and abused by someone that didn't give a crap, especially when servicing is questionable at best. Since these units are outside with a bit of faded paint, look for where the rental decals were as the paint should be fresher and darker in those areas. Find out the history if possible. Also note that the BX25D had two generations with the latter getting some of the upgrades that came with the BX23S (armrests, etc). I'd have preferred a BX23S when looking, mostly for the SSQA, but I found a deal on my BX25D that I couldn't pass up.
As far as tires go, you can pick up an extra set of mounted wheels and tires from the dealership for about $500. I'm running turfs during mowing season and plan on picking up some R4s for woods-work in the next month or so.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
BX23S is lawn mowing champion. Woefully underpowered for earthmoving/real work.

@lugbolt
Depending on perspective, this is certainly true.

But I can say unequivocally, the BX23S when compared to me is a super human! I can say this because my son-in-law has one.

Compared to the BX23S, my B2910 with backhoe is a super tractor!

All a matter of perspective…😉

Reactions: 1 user