2006 M6040 PTO Gasket keeps backing out

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham
The gasket that seals off my tractor's hydraulic/transmission fluid where my PTO is located (gasket is round metal & plastic) and goes over the PTO and has to be delicately tapped into place tightly) keeps coming out!!! The gasket seats properly and keeps the fluid from coming out, but with use, it comes or backs out. Even with JB Weld on outside of baseplate and outer part of gasket, the gasket backs out and I loose approx 8 gals of hydraulic fluid. My PTO shaft is not loose, It doesn't wobble (at least not to the necked eye and if it does have a wobble, it's VERY little... if any at all).

My tractor has over 2000 hrs of hard hunting club hrs (not the same as a vacation type farm tractor) and I've used my tractor and Woods Rotary Cutter to do some nasty bushhogging. Could the baseplate where the gasket is placed be worn? The design of this gasket is to be placed over the PTO shaft and held in place by friction only it appears. Is there some kind of locking mechanism that should lock it in?!?!? It's a tight seal. HOWEVER, after bushhogging, the gasket still comes or backs out even when held in place with JB Weld. And no, my hydraulic fluid isn't too filled (above capacity) and causing pressure to build. But a good guess.

It's just now starting doing this. Now, it's got some hard hrs on it using the PTO and hvy duty Woods Brushhog 720 (it's been a great rotary cutter, BTW!).

Anyway, I am at a loss in figuring out what to do about my PTO gasket backing out! Thanks!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First, please quit calling it a gasket, it a SEAL.

If the vent is plugged it wouldn't matter what the oil level is, low or high it can and will build pressure.

The seal might need a retaining compound (like thread locker) on the drive face, Loctite 620
If mating the surface is not oil free it will not hold.

Also if it has a bad bearing or other parts that are letting the shaft run out, it will just keep popping the seal.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

If the vent is plugged it wouldn't matter what the oil level is, low or high it can and will build pressure.

The seal might need a retaining compound (like thread locker) on the drive face, Loctite 620

Also if it has a bad bearing or other parts that are letting the shaft run out, it will just keep popping the seal.
A rather mean spirited response to a fellow brother in Orange.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Pressure build up as Wolf mentioned would be the first thing to check. Another suspect is pto shaft between tractor and cutter binding instead of smoothly collapsing and extending as cutter oscillates up and down going over humps and bumps. As you can imagine that would yank tractor shaft effectively "tapping" seal in opposite direction of installation. If shaft slides smooth, separate shaft then jerk front half while attached to tractor same as you would slam a slide hammer seal remover.

Bucktrot

Jun 4, 2017
Birmingham

Vent? Where would the vent be?? Maybe it’s clogged?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They did a good job of hiding the vent.
It's under the seat base.

1725416435805.png

1725416512712.png

There is a second line that goes to the back hole of two vent holes in the case, it goes back to the three point lift cylinders.

1725416734458.png