Starting problem with L2350DT

Stuart_T

Equipment
L2350DT
Sep 2, 2024
British Columbia
Just took possession of a new-to-me L2350DT and have been getting to know it after years witn an older Yanmar 1702D.

Have run it a few times, and attached my brush cutter and done a little field maintenance. So far, so good until yesterday. I decided to put a "pigtail" onto the battery to allow plugging in a trickle charger in the winter. I removed the side and top panels around the engine, removed the battery cables, cleaned the clamps, attached the pigtail terminals to the clamp screws, put a little dielectric grease on, and snugged the nuts down tight.

But when I went to start it- no go. The fuel gauge and oil and charge lights went on, but when I went to preheat, just a click. And the fuel gauge and oil and charge lights did not light up subsequently when I turned the key to "on". A voltage check on the battery clamps showed 12.55v. (BTW the glow plug light on the instrument panel has never lit up but has always started OK.)

I checked the battery connections (and removed the pigtail) but same result. I eventually jump started it with my truck but it was very reluctant to start. Once running, I did some field work for about 45 mins, then turned it off, and put a battery charger on the 2A setting overnight. This morning- nada.

So I tried a known good battery from my Onan diesel genny, connected by jumper cables. Indicator lights went on but it barely turned over and would not start. The jumper cables, however, got quite hot! Unfortunately I don't have heavier cables and can't fit the bigger battery into the tractor to test it. But this suggests that the original battery might be at fault?

I read on another thread that the initial problem could be caused by a weak connection from the battery neg. to the frame. Removing the cables etc. did jiggle the battery around a little. But where is this ground-to-frame made? All I can see is a thin (16 or 18 ga.) wire connected to the neg. clamp that appears to go into the wiring for the headlights (?) I checked continuity from the neg. battery terminal to a passivated bolt that I think holds the loader to the frame and got a connection. .The wire on the neg. cable appears tight.

I suppose it could just be a dying battery (830 hrs. and the original battery) But given that it has started without a problem until I fiddled with the battery, I suspect something else is amiss.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Welcome... Have you checked the cleanliness of the battery posts to the clamps? Diesel starters demand a lot of current and a dirty or corroded battery post can give you problems. Since you just bought the tractor, do you know how old the battery is? Check the ground cable to where it hooks to the chassis or engine. On my 2009, B3200 tractor with the V1505 4 cylinder, I bought the highest amperage battery I could find.
I have some old Onans too.

Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I suggest you put brand new cables on it since they are causing problems.

The terminal may be too large to effectively tighten onto the batter posts or the cables are internally breaking down.

The ground cable should be going to the frame or engine to make the connection. Follow the large cable (might be a flat strap?) to the opposite battery end.

Reactions: 1 user

Stuart_T

Equipment
L2350DT
Sep 2, 2024
British Columbia
Thanks, everyone. Of course the battery was grounded to the frame right below the battery box - exactly where a moment's thought would indicate.

I've now checked both cables and clamps and thoroughly cleaned all contact areas at both ends, as well as the battery terminals. Both clamps have a good grip on the battery terminals and show continuity. But still no joy :( If I can get the positive cable out of the frame I can probably put the big battery from my genny underneath the tractor and connect the cables to it, which I think is the only remaining test before I replace both cables (?)

Stuart_T

Equipment
L2350DT
Sep 2, 2024
British Columbia
Got the "known good battery" from my genny (trickle charged overnight) hooked up to the original tractor cables this morning. Same problem. Indicator lights went on... OK when pre-heating... but "click" when I went to start. Oddly (?) this was the same battery that had almost started the tractor when I had connected it with my "too small" jumper cables they day before (??) So color me baffled.

But I'm going to replace the battery cables anyway and see where that gets me.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Go to harbor freight and buy a simple battery tester. Greatest tool in the world. Simple to use and great for troubleshooting this type of problem.
Cen-Tech 100 Amp, 6/12V Battery Load Tester
$19.99
Harbor Freight Tools
(1k+).

Stuart_T

Equipment
L2350DT
Sep 2, 2024
British Columbia
I'm in British Columbia, just north of 49 (and I'm sure battery testers are available from one of our stores!) but my gf lives and works in Bellingham WA and I'm down there regularly so I know Harbor Freight (and Tractor Supply, etc.) I'll be there tomorrow in fact. In this case I doubt the battery is the culprit but it's a good tool to have on hand anyway. Thanks for the tip :)

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
I'm in British Columbia, just north of 49 (and I'm sure battery testers are available from one of our stores!) but my gf lives and works in Bellingham WA and I'm down there regularly so I know Harbor Freight (and Tractor Supply, etc.) I'll be there tomorrow in fact. In this case I doubt the battery is the culprit but it's a good tool to have on hand anyway. Thanks for the tip :)
This tester is not only used to put a load on the battery but you can put a load on your battery cables. If you have a corroded cable or a bad ground you can find that by putting this tester downstream from the battery. Hook the tester to the battery lug on the starter and a good ground on the engine. Put a load on the system and if there is any issues you will see it immediately. I do a lot of service calls for no start. This is my first tool that I pull out and start backtracking with. Once you learn to use it it is great. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This tester is not only used to put a load on the battery but you can put a load on your battery cables. If you have a corroded cable or a bad ground you can find that by putting this tester downstream from the battery. Hook the tester to the battery lug on the starter and a good ground on the engine. Put a load on the system and if there is any issues you will see it immediately. I do a lot of service calls for no start. This is my first tool that I pull out and start backtracking with. Once you learn to use it it is great. Good luck
Thanks for that explanation. Probably have seen something similar many times but hasn’t “sunk in” until now as to how an invaluable tool it can be.

I’ve had a tester on my list for a while.

This concise explanation puts a tester MUCH higher on my list…..👍

Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you jumped the solenoid at the starter?
Your issue could be as simple as a safety switch that is not engaging.