Difficulty placing top link pin in lowest position

TractorTractor

Equipment
2012 L4240 GST
Sep 2, 2024
Nc
First post, new to forum, new to tractors.

Just got a 2012 L4240 with 1600hrs. Purchased it along with a new bush hog. Have put about 15hrs on it so far.

I want to experiment with 3PH top link mounting position since it has only been in the upper hole. This weekend, I was attempting to move it to the bottom hole (hole 3), but the pin can't be inserted due to interference with the lift cylinder barrel (same thing on either side if I try to insert the pin from the opposite side).

I don't have any pictures to post right now of the pin, but it is possible that the pin is not factory, and the former owner only ever needed the top link attached to the top hole. It could be*slightly* longer than factory - it is very close to being able to fit. I will probably be able to get out there and measure the pin, take pics, and possibly even get a new pin from the dealership, but wanted to see if anyone has a word on this.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/advice offered.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
First post, new to forum, new to tractors.

Just got a 2012 L4240 with 1600hrs. Purchased it along with a new bush hog. Have put about 15hrs on it so far.

I want to experiment with 3PH top link mounting position since it has only been in the upper hole. This weekend, I was attempting to move it to the bottom hole (hole 3), but the pin can't be inserted due to interference with the lift cylinder barrel (same thing on either side if I try to insert the pin from the opposite side).

I don't have any pictures to post right now of the pin, but it is possible that the pin is not factory, and the former owner only ever needed the top link attached to the top hole. It could be*slightly* longer than factory - it is very close to being able to fit. I will probably be able to get out there and measure the pin, take pics, and possibly even get a new pin from the dealership, but wanted to see if anyone has a word on this.

Thank you in advance for any assistance/advice offered.
Before you go to the dealership, check out Tractor Supply Company. They carry a large selection of pins for very reasonable prices.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Put your 3 pt in a different position up or down. You will learn what height the arms need to be to insert the pin.

Gaspasser

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060, FEL, forks, front snowblower. KX033 mini ex. Dump truck, Husqvarna saws.
Dec 16, 2023
NH
Had same issue this past week. Pins available at my local TSC were not short enough to fit. Dealer pin cost more but solved issue. I was concerned about lower hole allowing the top link ( hydraulic in my case) to possibly interfere with the PTO shaft shroud. YMMV. Good luck.