ICE! Wintertime Shady Section of Driveway

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
So, I have a section of my driveway that freezes over at around December and stays frozen until about April. My driveway goes thru medium dense forest and this particular section is in the shade all winter and part of Spring. It also has an uphill on the South side and a downhill on the North side.
The worst part is that there is a curve right after the shady spot and once you hit the ice on the driveway and then the curve, we almost go over the edge of the driveway into the forest on the downhill side.
This spot is about 1,000 feet from my house and electrical power. Driveway is mostly dirt with some small gravel.

I am looking for advice for a solution.

What I have come up with so far is:

> A heated mat under the driveway and running power all the way back to the house.
> Totally grade out a new driveway pattern over the top of the southside hill and abandon this section.

I've tried ice melt from different brands and it just make a bad situation worse because it globs and melt small areas and then refreezes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Be well.

Pardon my chicken scratch....

driveway.jpg

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What is the drive made from? Gravel? or?

Map made 100% perfect sense btw - easy to follow

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Oh, and I tried ripping out the ice with my LX2610 in the dead of winter and it doesn't have the weight and traction to pull up the ice. Which in mid winter the ice in this 100' section is about 5" thick.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Change the slope, add dark stone, and take a few trees out so sun can hit it.

Reactions: 1 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
What is dark stone?
Any coal burning power plants in the area where you might be able to get some cinders? Years ago cinders were used on the roads in my area but they didn't rust out the cars fast enough so now salt is used heavily. Cinders can be dark in color and provides good traction.

WFM

Premium Member

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Here in the northeast the town cuts the trees back allowing the sun to hit the roads.
It's amazing cutting the trees back and letting the sun hit the roadway it doesn't ice over any longer.
They have done this over and over with little opposition.
One of our worse roads is like a tree tunnel with giant pine and oaks. The road commishnor went ahead and marked the trees to cut them back. We have a bunch of Woodstock hippies that are wealthy land owners in town they protested the potential cutting of the trees and the road commishnor got the heat from the slectmen board and gave up.
But other area it's been done and is fantastic.
So call your local logger. And cut cut and cut some more.
You won't regret it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My first thought is to re-pitch the drive, but this may cause a water run off problem

1725315969440.png

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’m no expert, but if I’m understanding the water is not running off in that section to prevent pooling / freezing. I’d probably try to solve the pooling/drainage issue before trenching electric back there.

If all else fails I’ve always sort of had a crush on these…

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, I have a section of my driveway that freezes over at around December and stays frozen until about April. My driveway goes thru medium dense forest and this particular section is in the shade all winter and part of Spring. It also has an uphill on the South side and a downhill on the North side.
The worst part is that there is a curve right after the shady spot and once you hit the ice on the driveway and then the curve, we almost go over the edge of the driveway into the forest on the downhill side.
This spot is about 1,000 feet from my house and electrical power. Driveway is mostly dirt with some small gravel.

I am looking for advice for a solution.

What I have come up with so far is:

> A heated mat under the driveway and running power all the way back to the house.
> Totally grade out a new driveway pattern over the top of the southside hill and abandon this section.

I've tried ice melt from different brands and it just make a bad situation worse because it globs and melt small areas and then refreezes.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Be well.

Pardon my chicken scratch....

View attachment 136617
I know that spot well. Barrel of sand and shovel on the side of the road.

Dan

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
My first thought is to give the water somewhere to go. Think of a railroad. The reason they don't (often) have issues with heaving due to ice formation is that they are elevated with coarse stone underneath.
While it would be some work (that is what a tractor is for!) Getting the dirt to slope away from the road, then backfilling with some #6, adding 57s on top would keep the water from hanging out there.
If you have snowpack that isn't melting, that's another thing.

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
My first thought is to re-pitch the drive, but this may cause a water run off problem

View attachment 136625
I did this with my driveway which is very, very similar to what the OP has. All that's done for me is cause my vehicles to slide sideways into the bank when traction is lost.

Here's me digging my SUV (with dedicated winter tires) out one time and pulling it sideways so it wouldn't fall back in. It gets fun when traction is lost near the top and you do a 360 sliding back down.

1725327661475.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Dig it down, place cloth then heavy drain rock, then small rock over that.