Mower won't move when hot

Cougar015

Equipment
Kubota Mower
Aug 29, 2024
Pennsylvania
I have a 54" mower that still runs great but after about 15 minutes when it gets warmed up it won't move forward or backward. Engine and Mower are still running strong. Tune up and new belt didn't help. After turning the mower off and letting it sit for 45 minutes, it runs great again until it heats up then once again stops. I'm thinking it may be the transmission which is a sealed unit. Anyone else run into this?

whatsupdoc

Equipment
L3302
Jul 9, 2024
USA
Check that the belt that spins the pump on the hydrostatic
transmission is good.

If that is good you may want to drop the transmission and change the fluid and filter. They are not really sealed and are fully serviceable.

Cougar015

Equipment
Kubota Mower
Aug 29, 2024
Pennsylvania
Check that the belt that spins the pump on the hydrostatic
transmission is good.

If that is good you may want to drop the transmission and change the fluid and filter. They are not really sealed and are fully serviceable.
I installed a new belt so it's not that. I suspect the transmission so I will remove it and see if I can change the oil and filter. If I can't, I'm going to replace it.

Thanks

whatsupdoc

Equipment
L3302
Jul 9, 2024
USA
I installed a new belt so it's not that. I suspect the transmission so I will remove it and see if I can change the oil and filter. If I can't, I'm going to replace it.

Thanks

If its a Tuff Torq its fairly easy. I just changed the oil in mine, it had 460 hard hours on it. I used Mobil 1 15W50 oil and no issues.

If it is the pump or motor you are better off buying the entire unit.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
maybe just low on oil ?
runs until it gets hot...oil 'thins out' ?

cooling fan fins missing ??

crud on the HST unit ??

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What "54" mower" are we talking about?

Some model #'s would be VERY helpful for some folks.....

I pulled a gang of rotary mowers behind a Datsun pickup truck years ago. :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user