Forks that clamp onto bucket

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
I want to make a box out of skids for leaf collection this fall, my plan is to use those clamp on forks (you see them on vevor, amazon etc.)
I figure at most I'll be lifting 100-500 pounds as I don't really like the idea of clamp on forks but that is all I have the budget for currently.
Has anyone used these, and what is your feedback?

1724857864278.png

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'd cobble up a box and ratchet-strap it on the bucket. Skip the extra weight of the forks. Maybe a used $50 IBC tote? Cut and use the bladder as the leaf container or line the frame with something to contain the leaves.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have a set that is shorter than the ones in the picture. Seems like useable length is 30-32” or so.

I have a pin-on bucket.

Especially if heavily built, longer ones are a severe limitation on a BX.

They work fine for limited lifts. Doubt you could do 500 pounds. Maybe 300 pounds tops but guessing. Could be an interesting ride on a slope….

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I have a set of Landpride PF20's. Took some ribbing on this site for not getting a "proper" set of quick attach forks but I am able to use these clamp on forks on either of my tractors which have different mounts. I have used them quite a few times with no issues but I would caution to be vigilant of them being properly secured when in use whereas quick attach forks are certainly connected in a safer manner.

The PF 20's are rated 2000 pounds, PF10's at 1000 pounds. The Vevor's look similar, not sure if the quality would be the same as Landpride.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'd cobble up a box and ratchet-strap it on the bucket. Skip the extra weight of the forks. Maybe a used $50 IBC tote? Cut and use the bladder as the leaf container or line the frame with something to contain the leaves.
I can carry about 400 pounds plus a carry all on the 3 point hitch… might get a carry all frame and build a simple (light) wooden box on that and use 3PH?

Reactions: 1 user

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the replies.
The picture I posted is just for reference, does not indicated what I intend to purchase.
I've had a few idea's on what to build for this "clean up box" but already having some very well built skids saves me enough to get the forks, I'll still strap the box to the bucket as I want to be able to tip it to remove the contents, leaves, branches etc. My biggest concern is "denting" the bucket..

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
like Chim says, save your coins.
Build a box that fits inside your bucket, strap to bucket. make the front removable and it's real easy to dump the contents !
A lot of skids are 42x48ish, some fit inside nice. I lucked out on 3 'shipping' containers that fit semisnug into the bucket.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
My first Kubota was a B7500 and the bucket was the right capacity for sand, gravel and dirt but way too small for hauling mulch and lightweight stuff. I had our sheet metal shop guy bend a piece of 10ga that I bolted to the bucket. It was a simple three-sided piece of galvanized. I drilled a few holes on each side (in the bucket and the extension) and 7 or 8 holes on the bottom that used the bolt-on cutting edge bolts. It was sturdy enough to pick the front of the tractor off the ground.

The picture below is NOT the tractor that the extension was used on. It was taken with Kubota #2 (L3200) that had a larger bucket just for illustrating the size for another poster here who had an interest in it.

IMG_0556.JPG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for the replies.
The picture I posted is just for reference, does not indicated what I intend to purchase.
I've had a few idea's on what to build for this "clean up box" but already having some very well built skids saves me enough to get the forks, I'll still strap the box to the bucket as I want to be able to tip it to remove the contents, leaves, branches etc. My biggest concern is "denting" the bucket..
Bending the bucket is a concern, but there are others.

When you put the weight so far forward, you may find the stability of the tractor is compromised.

Always have it in 4WD, as going down a slope with a load on the front might take traction away from the rear wheels. Keep a stout counter-weight on the 3PH.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
like Chim says, save your coins.
Build a box that fits inside your bucket, strap to bucket. make the front removable and it's real easy to dump the contents !
A lot of skids are 42x48ish, some fit inside nice. I lucked out on 3 'shipping' containers that fit semisnug into the bucket.
Ah, ok. I'll look into that well, but as for the forks they will have other light duty uses. So I'll measure and figure it out.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Bending the bucket is a concern, but there are others.

When you put the weight so far forward, you may find the stability of the tractor is compromised.

Always have it in 4WD, as going down a slope with a load on the front might take traction away from the rear wheels. Keep a stout counter-weight on the 3PH.
Agreed, I have a ballast box on the 3pt and the load will be as close to the bucket as possible.

Reactions: 1 user

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
My first Kubota was a B7500 and the bucket was the right capacity for sand, gravel and dirt but way too small for hauling mulch and lightweight stuff. I had our sheet metal shop guy bend a piece of 10ga that I bolted to the bucket. It was a simple three-sided piece of galvanized. I drilled a few holes on each side (in the bucket and the extension) and 7 or 8 holes on the bottom that used the bolt-on cutting edge bolts. It was sturdy enough to pick the front of the tractor off the ground.

The picture below is NOT the tractor that the extension was used on. It was taken with Kubota #2 (L3200) that had a larger bucket just for illustrating the size for another poster here who had an interest in it.

View attachment 136165
Now that is a cool idea, I have some large sheets of steel kicking around... you're giving me idea's

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
When I had the L3200 (pin on bucket) I built a set of forks that were attached via ratchet strap that worked pretty well. For the L4240 (SSQA bucket) built a HD set from bale spears on a QA frame. I never had skids to handle, so the tine spacing didn't need to be adjustable. Use them mostly for moving trimmings and brush.

EDIT: Same L3200 in both pics. First one was taken BC (Before Cab:) )

Attachments

Last edited:

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
Yep. Even if you don't have access to a big press brake for bending, or a welder, corners could be bolted angle iron.
Yea, I'll see what I can do. to be honest I wanted a simple solution to a simple problem, lugging yard waste easily. For much of it I can just use the bucket and a couple of trips, but for leaves, branches etc. having something bigger to haul more is ideal.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If you're not looking for a long term relationship, maybe you could fabricobble something from 2x4's jammed into the bucket and a cardboard refrigerator box. Someone here posted a pic of homebrew forks like made like that.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
If you're not looking for a long term relationship, maybe you could fabricobble something from 2x4's jammed into the bucket and a cardboard refrigerator box. Someone here posted a pic of homebrew forks like made like that.
Ha! very true, but I'd like it to last more that one trip, I expect the leaves to be wet as some point of my collecting this fall.

I found these forks and I think they calm some of my worries with the unique design compared to others I've seem. I doubt they will ever see a 1/4 of what they can carry..
1724864079729.png

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
image.jpg

Mine are stowed away, but those look similar dimensions to mine. I tried longer ones before I bought these. The shorter ones are much better on a light BX.

Just a reality check, make sure they are not 58 pounds each, which you don’t want or need. With 2 screw mounts, they appear pretty stout.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
View attachment 136175

Mine are stowed away, but those look similar dimensions to mine. I tried longer ones before I bought these. The shorter ones are much better on a light BX.

Just a reality check, make sure they are not 58 pounds each, which you don’t want or need. With 2 screw mounts, they appear pretty stout.
Good Point, they state overall weight of 58 pounds and only 30" fork length. Funny their description shows exactly what I want them for.
1724865278556.png

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That would be fine if 58 total. Just wanted to bring that up.

If I recall correctly, the longer ones I tried were close to 50-60 pounds each and longer of course. . Don’t recall rating.

I think the ones I have are about 30 each, but think they’re rated at 1,000 pounds but honestly guessing.

Like you said, 1,000 or 2,000 pound rating is irrelevant with a BX. Not getting close to that anyway.