Another PHD Accident

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I guess we don’t hear about too many post hole digger accidents. This one is reported today in a Pittsburgh newspaper.

Have to read between the lines I think. Not sure how both the husband and wife would be standing on the ground next to the post hole digger when it was in action. Anyway, the unfortunate result was the woman lost the lower part of her leg.

Apparently, somehow piece of fence wire caught in the turning post hole digger auger, and pulled her leg in.

she’s probably lucky she didn’t lose her life…

I’m just posting this because I think we always need reminders about how dangerous some things related to tractor use can be.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Probably something similar to this, one person holding each side.

1724782664390.jpeg

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Thanks for posting and always thinking about safety around any of the equipment.

I have used my TSC version with my Ford for over 20Y and had some exciting times with hitting rock, also suddenly pinning me at the bottom of the hole (read doing a wheelie) so am quick on the clutch etc. Definitely sounds like a "what were they thinking" deal to have the wire right there and both be standing that close.

I lost the safety shield where the auger bolts on (actually bent it up) and should replace it but it is an occasional use implement and I never get off the tractor.

FWIW: Just last night I repowered an older HD Mightly Mac chipper shredder made here in PA. Haven't used it yet but it definitely could hurt you real bad if you aren't extra careful.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in Profile-About)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
When people don't care about much in life, are in a rush and/or get tired things can go wrong in a hurry. It's not the "one-in-a-million" thing that will get you, it's "one of a million things that can go wrong" that gets you. Thank you for the post and reminder.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I can't read the article as I block ads...but curious ... just HOW did it happen ? Drilling a hole for a pole and some fence wire took off her leg ?? Hopefully the left, as she'll still be able to drive.