Raising Pole Barn Floor

S_fontinalis

Equipment
L2501
Aug 15, 2023
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
When we bought our house it came with a 54x36 pole barn which we use for storage. We have noticed a couple issues with the barn we would like to address.
  • The sand floor turns into soup from snowmelt in May until about the 4th of July.
    • Installing French drains along the eaves is on the to-do list, but this will be a major undertaking due to uncleared stumps and spoil piles between the barn and the drain outlet.
    • I would like to make improvements to the situation before the snow flies.
  • I am not a pole barn expert, but the grades of the interior floor and metal sheeting seem off. The bottom of the doors reach the top or the splash board but the exterior metal siding extends several inches below this grade. This results in a large gap between the floor and the bottom of the door (see photos below)

• The sand floor is less than ideal, and I would like install a crushed limestone surface. We are not interested in investing in a concrete floor for the barn at this time. This is truly a storage shed.
I am admittedly suffering from analysis paralysis. From reading online I cannot tell if my plan is complete overkill, or if it will do nothing besides possibly push out the walls of my barn.

So gurus of OTT, here is my plan to begin to improve the situation for your consideration:
  1. Install ground contact treated 2x8s along the inside of poles to prevent the new floor from pushing out the exterior siding.
  2. Compact the existing floor using rented plate compactor.
  3. Install woven geotextile - to help prevent the new floor from just sinking into the soup and limit permeability of the floor.
  4. Add 5 inches of compacted 22A road gravel in 2.5 inch lifts
  5. Add second layer of woven geotextile - the big box store is cheap that this should help stabilize the floor
  6. Add ~2.5 inches of compacted crushed limestone to bring the grade of the new floor up to the bottom of the door

PXL_20240826_224856474.jpg

PXL_20240826_224740664.jpg

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Is concrete an option? This was my solution when I had the same situation with my barn.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I think you have a great plan of action and will yield a very usable good floor in the future.

Would gutters be more feasible compared to the French drains in the short term?

I built a open sided 24 x 27 tractor shed on sandy soil and skipped many of the steps your contemplating and have a very usable floor. I compacted the sand floor and then brought in the crushed limestone, I forget exactly what I ordered, then compacted again. I ended up with 2 1/2 to 3 inches of limestone.
IMG_7011.JPG

IMG_7015.JPG
DSC01089.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, L3902 HST, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872
Oct 14, 2023
bc
I think you have a great plan of action and will yield a very usable good floor in the future.

I built a open sided 24 x 27 tractor shed on sandy soil and skipped many of the steps your contemplating and have a very usable floor. I compacted the sand floor and then brought in the crushed limestone, I forget exactly what I ordered, then compacted again. I ended up with 2 1/2 to 3 inches of limestone.
View attachment 136094

View attachment 136095 View attachment 136096

View attachment 136097
I just did a double take. Thought you posted a picture of 1 of my pole sheds!
tractor shed.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

S_fontinalis

Equipment
L2501
Aug 15, 2023
Upper Peninsula of Michigan

View attachment 136094

View attachment 136095 View attachment 136096

View attachment 136097
Thanks for sharing your shed, it looks great!

I like the gutter idea, but I don't think gutters would solve the issue.

We get about 170 inches of snow a year, which really piles up under the eaves. I think that this plus some less than ideal grading is the source of the water problem in the spring.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks for sharing your shed, it looks great!

I like the gutter idea, but I don't think gutters would solve the issue.

We get about 170 inches of snow a year, which really piles up under the eaves. I think that this plus some less than ideal grading is the source of the water problem in the spring.

Yep, understand on the snow piling up under the eaves.

As a side note with my saltbox style open faced shed for every inch of rain fall my 24 x 27 shed roof yields about 425 gallons of water. I installed gutters front and back to not only help with water mitigation but I also divert it all downhill about 280 feet to a small wildlife pond. If your soils are like mine, loamy sand, I get no run off and half hour after it rains its like it never did.

I do think the way your planning on doing your floor will turn out very well, solid, level and great for storage.

Good luck with the project and hope to see a few progress pictures along the way.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
options...
1) LOWER the land around the building ! Grade a steepish slope AWAY from the walls.

2) Pour concrete sills ,say 4" tall, around the perimeter, in effect a 'dam' to reduce water getting in , as well as VERMIN...

3) Add 3/4- gravel to the level of the concrete sills for the floor, be sure to power tamp down real good.