Wheel Spacers…a Follow Up

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
A while back I posted a question about wheel spacers as I was interested in buying some. That thread is here if anybody’s interested:

I ordered from Bro-Tec. The shipping was $30. They are 4” spacers. I thought that was fair. One surprise was that Bro-Tec is a Canadian company. I thought that duty might be tacked on to the price when everything was over, but I received them duty-free, and as an additional bonus, I was not charged Pennsylvania sales tax which for me is 7%. So that savings took about $23 off the shipping cost compared to if I had bought something here in the USA. I don’t have any problems supporting our northern neighbors. When I was growing up, we always thought of Canada as the 51st state!

Net conclusion is that the tractor does feel a bit more stable. Actually the 8 inch increase on the rear track is just under a 20% increase, which should add significantly to the stability.

Before and after shots:

Something was wrong with the images and I tried to fix what I perceived is being wrong and screwed up the images totally so I’m going to post them separately in the following post

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
That is definitely quite the difference! I have contemplated putting some on my L2502 considering the crazy crap I do on it but I have to admit, I am worried about busting an axle.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That is definitely quite the difference! I have contemplated putting some on my L2502 considering the crazy crap I do on it but I have to admit, I am worried about busting an axle.
For sure that’s a valid concern. At least from the theoretical perspective.

We rarely hear of issues that people have which they suspect were caused by wheel spacers. But there’s no doubt that some tractors with wheel spacers have issues. I remember one person reporting an issue with a tractor that had wheel Spacers, but was purchased from a rental agency, so it was probably abused as well.

In my case, at my point in life, I decided that being what might be considered elderly, I would rather break my tractor than break my neck. I can always pay for repairs to the tractor or buy a new tractor even. But the tractor can’t pay for my neck! So that was where I was coming from when I decided to buy the wheel spacers.

I wanted to buy enough width to make a significant difference without going overboard. I chose the 4 inch because that’s what Bro-tech had in stock. But I didn’t ask if they had six inch in available. In the end I think I made the right choice for me. Reminds me of a tune from the past, where one verse is ” That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!” 😂

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
An event about 12 years ago, motivated me to get the wheel spacers:

IMG_4664.jpeg

The bucket was empty and below (or even with) the top of the hood. The slope is not that much, but there was a little drop off at the edge where I was moving dirt with the box blade… The whole episode took two or three seconds (in my memory anyway).

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I put 2 inchers on the B, and it did make a difference,,, I see you are growing that damned weed from across the pond,,, I have been trying to get rid of bamboo we had when she had her green house for bloody years......

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
A while back I posted a question about wheel spacers as I was interested in buying some. That thread is here if anybody’s interested:

I ordered from Bro-Tec. The shipping was $30. They are 4” spacers. I thought that was fair. One surprise was that Bro-Tec is a Canadian company. I thought that duty might be tacked on to the price when everything was over, but I received them duty-free, and as an additional bonus, I was not charged Pennsylvania sales tax which for me is 7%. So that savings took about $23 off the shipping cost compared to if I had bought something here in the USA. I don’t have any problems supporting our northern neighbors. When I was growing up, we always thought of Canada as the 51st state!

Net conclusion is that the tractor does feel a bit more stable. Actually the 8 inch increase on the rear track is just under a 20% increase, which should add significantly to the stability.

Before and after shots:

Something was wrong with the images and I tried to fix what I perceived is being wrong and screwed up the images totally so I’m going to post them separately in the following post
To add relevance maybe include the price of the spacers.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hey Henro, what's Allegheny County provide that has them charging an added 1% sales tax? It could be worse. Philadelphia County adds 2% 😦

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hey Henro, what's Allegheny County provide that has them charging an added 1% sales tax? It could be worse. Philadelphia County adds 2% 😦
The only thing I can think of is the pleasure of living here! LOL

Well thinking about it, there’s also the opportunity to pay much higher property taxes than other counties…or so I’ve been told.