Buying a BX and already own a L2501

ssilver07

Equipment
L2501, BX2680
Aug 25, 2024
North Carolina
I am in a little bit of a decision dilemma. I know I am buying a BX2680 primarily to mow my yard with and get up leaves so I am getting it with the 54'' deck and the bagger system. I am however torn on getting the loader or not. I don't need the loader as I already have an L2501 with a loader and grapple but I'm afraid I will regret not getting it for the BX. I cant think of a thing I would use the BX loader for that I cant just use the L2501 loader for and would probably end up storing the loader in the basement if I got one. It is about a $4000 dollar difference in price. So what do you guys think?

Update: let me go into a little more detail. The BX 2680 IS what I am buying to mow my yard with, that is not in question, 4wd is a must. The mower deck size is also not in question, there are places I cannot get into with a 60 inch so 54 is what I'm buying.

Last edited:

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If you don't buy the loader, but a lawn mower or zero turn.

Reactions: 1 user

ssilver07

Equipment
L2501, BX2680
Aug 25, 2024
North Carolina
If you don't buy the loader, but a lawn mower or zero turn.
Can't and don't want to use a zero turn. I have a lot of hills therefore 4wd is a must for me. The mower choice is not in question, that decision has been made. I am just trying to decide if I will regret not buying the loader for the BX one, two, five years from now.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Buy the 60" mower deck if you are going to be using it for lawn mowing detail. I opted for a 60" rear finish mower in place of the under belly mower deck, and I have vacillated a number of times whether to buy a used one or not. Last week after cutting the lawn I was looking for one, but now I have cooled on the idea. I have a ZTR 42" mower also, so I am thinking that will serve where the 60" rear finish mower can't go.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

Not my money or situation, but IMO, since you already have an L, I’d either:

1. buy a actual lawnmower

Or

2. put a finish mower or flail on the back of the L.

If really need MMM, the trade the L in for an LX, unless you want 2 machines.

Good luck. 🥃

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think a bagger uses quite a bit of HP (depending on which one). Maybe a BX2680?

If you're not going to use the loader, then don't buy it. The loader will still be available new in 5 years, and if you want it then you can buy it then. BX loaders are reasonably interchangeable, I bought a BX2350 (2003-ish machine), and put a new loader on it in 2018.

My logic is:
  • The loader will get more expensive. But basically only at the rate of inflation. The money is better in your pocket until you actually want the loader
  • You may never want the loader. In which case the money is way better in your pocket
  • If you want the loader for when selling it....maybe the new buyer also doesn't want a loader. And if they do, they can buy one when they want it....
I don't see how you're materially worse off by delaying buying it. But there are lots of ways you could be better off.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Save the $4,000 do NOT buy the BX loader....
The last time I checked, I couldn't operate 2 or more tractors at the same time....can you ?
Use the BX to mow the lawn, the L for Loader work.
It's that simple....

to get complicated though... IF you bought the BX loader, you'll have to remove the MMM off the BX, store it, then install the loader,...do loader stuff, then remove the loader,,store ir, reinstall the MMM to go cut grass. ALL of these 'operations' takes a toll on YOU and costs TIME. OK, maybe only 1/2 hour BUT that's a 1/2 hour you COULD have been cutting grass or loadering something.

Reactions: 1 users

ssilver07

Equipment
L2501, BX2680
Aug 25, 2024
North Carolina
Good day.

Not my money or situation, but IMO, since you already have an L, I’d either:

1. buy a actual lawnmower

Or

2. put a finish mower or flail on the back of the L.

If really need MMM, the trade the L in for an LX, unless you want 2 machines.

Good luck. 🥃
I already own an "actual lawn mower". I am buying the BX to replace it and to use as a lawn mower. Like I said above I have a lot of hills and 4wd is a must for me. I'm certainly not trading the L as it is invaluable for me with other things around the property that a smaller tractor simply couldn't do. The L is also equipped with R1 tires that aren't yard friendly so a finish mower is impractical and out.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Wife and I had a similar decision a couple years ago when we bought the T2290. We had a zero turn and for reasons still beyond my understanding she absolutely hates zero turns. 4WD wasn’t a requirement for us, so the T was a good option. The BX sans loader wasn’t much more than the GR, the BX was much smoother operating, and it both felt and looked like a much higher quality machine than the GR (which is also 4WD).

For us, if we had gotten the BX, there wasn’t a question of getting a loader, only a question of getting a backhoe. I don’t know about your L2501, but my L4701 is too heavy to be running on the yards unless the ground is quite dry and then only infrequently. Bare weight is about 3300lb but by the adding a loader, loaded R4 rears, and anything on the 3 point it’s more like 5000 to a bit over 6000lb.

There are times when we’re doing landscaping type stuff in the yard it would be nice to have something to pick up a couple hundred pounds, move some dirt around, etc. We would have used the loader on the BX for that had we not gone with the MUCH cheaper T. If your L2501 already fills that function, or you have no desire for a “yard ready loader”, I wouldn’t get the loader.

Another consideration would be resale/trade in if that’s important to you. A BX without a loader is a much narrow niche market than a BX with loader so it could be a tough to sell for a decent price. Most people now who are in the market for a high end finish mower are going the zero turn route. A BX without a loader could be a tough one to sell.

Last edited:

ssilver07

Equipment
L2501, BX2680
Aug 25, 2024
North Carolina
Wife and I had a similar decision a couple years ago when we bought the T2290. We had a zero turn and for reasons still beyond my understanding she absolutely hates zero turns. 4WD wasn’t a requirement for us, so the T was a good option. The BX sans loader wasn’t much more than the GR, the BX was much smoother operating, and it both felt and looked like a much higher quality machine than the GR (which is also 4WD).

For us, if we had gotten the BX, there wasn’t a question of getting a loader, only a question of getting a backhoe. I don’t know about your L2501, but my L4701 is too heavy to be running on the yards unless the ground is quite dry and then only infrequently. Bare weight is about 3300lb but by the adding a loader, loaded R4 rears, and anything on the 3 point it’s more like 5000 to a bit over 6000lb.

There are times when we’re doing landscaping type stuff in the yard it would be nice to have something to pick up a a couple hundred pounds, move some dirt around, etc. We would have used the loader on the BX for that had we not gone with the MUCH cheaper T. If your L2501 already fills that function, or you have no desire for a “yard ready loader”, I wouldn’t get the loader.

Another consideration would be resale/trade in if that’s important to you. A BX without a loader is a much narrow niche market than a BX with loader so it could be a tough to sell for a decent price. Most people now who are in the market for a high end finish mower are going the zero turn route. A BX without a loader could be a tough one to sell.
We are definitely sharing a lot of the same thoughts. My L2501 with the R1 tires is not very yard friendly when things are dry and it will leave tracks that last weeks if I drive it through the yard when its wet. When doing projects or work around the property I hate not having what I need when I need it. While I admit I probably won't use it 5% of the time I'm using the BX I think I have decided that I would rather have the loader available to use than not have it at all.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am in a little bit of a decision dilemma. I know I am buying a BX2680 primarily to mow my yard with and get up leaves so I am getting it with the 54'' deck and the bagger system. I am however torn on getting the loader or not. I don't need the loader as I already have an L2501 with a loader and grapple but I'm afraid I will regret not getting it for the BX. I cant think of a thing I would use the BX loader for that I cant just use the L2501 loader for and would probably end up storing the loader in the basement if I got one. It is about a $4000 dollar difference in price. So what do you guys think?

Update: let me go into a little more detail. The BX 2680 IS what I am buying to mow my yard with, that is not in question, 4wd is a must. The mower deck size is also not in question, there are places I cannot get into with a 60 inch so 54 is what I'm buying.
A BX with loader will get into spots the L2501 cant touch. Just today I was back filling around a new slab and my L3901 was too big to get where it needed to go and a BX with narrower bucket would have been perfect. Unfortunatly my B7200 is in the hospital with a broken 4WD and unable to serve. Shovel and wheelbarrow time.

In the end its really a question of $$$$ because a small loader will have its uses.

Dan

Sidekick

Equipment
Kioti CK2620SE cab, RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I bought my bx 2360 with a 60 inch deck and no loader because I had a bigger tractor with a loader already. I did get the loader valve that works for a snow plow and also as rear remotes. I have hilly and wet areas to mow and that's where it shines. Had to add a Michigan seat to be able to handle the rough ground I mow without back pain. They are a little heavy for mowing and leave tracks in damp areas but do a decent job. About. 6 gph wide open makes them economical to run. Recently got a 726 zero turn for the top 5 acres that are flat and will never mow that part with the BX again. Cut the time in half but doubled my fuel usage. If you don't need a loader, don't waste money on it as you don't want the extra weight on for mowing so it would be stored most of the time.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Consider a Kubota powered Steiner tractor if you have scary hills. Lower center of gravity and a wider stance with the duel wheel option. Made for hills. Being 4 wheel drive and articulated it is super maneuverable beast that's hydrostatically powered. The deck is out front so you can see where you are cutting. I consider that a huge plus. The deck is also easier to service than a mid mount mower. If I had one rig its gotta have a loader hence my B2601 purchase 2 years ago. If I were you I would opt for a complimentary and superior mowing machine. They are pricey. Good luck.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Unless you really need the L, I agree with trading it. Maybe a B2601 would split the difference. However, if you never want to remove the mower, then the BX makes sense.

I don't know the potential grass damage of a B2601 vs BX. My guess is it's not much.