green algae in pond

LenPA

Equipment
l3901
Jan 2, 2022
Sayre,Pennsylvania,USA
I have a pond (1/2 acre of water) that has green algae. Pond was built 45 years ago and this is the first year I am seeing the algae. The algae does not cover the entire surface but appears in blobs. Our county dept. of conservation recommend treating with chelated copper but I am having problems figuring how and how much to apply. Any suggestions ? Thanks.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Chelated copper will kill everything in the pond and all the frogs that live around the pond. I would just ignore the algae until next winter when the pond freezes over. Then get 15 or 20 bags of barn lime from Tractor Supply and spread it across the ice surface. In the spring it will melt and fall to the bottom of the pond raising the PH level and the pond will once again be usable. If you have a lot of undergrowth in the bottom of the pond that you need to kill off, then the chelated copper will take care of that. Spreading chemicals on the ice surface is the safest way to get treatment to the center of the pond. Just be careful that the ice will be thick enough to support your weight. If in doubt, tie a rope around your waist and tie the other end to the tractor. If you fall in just pull yourself out using the rope. If you have a helper, they can pull you out by tieing the rope to the back of the tractor. They just need to be careful to stop once you are out.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Chelated copper will kill everything in the pond and all the frogs that live around the pond. I would just ignore the algae until next winter when the pond freezes over. Then get 15 or 20 bags of barn lime from Tractor Supply and spread it across the ice surface. In the spring it will melt and fall to the bottom of the pond raising the PH level and the pond will once again be usable. If you have a lot of undergrowth in the bottom of the pond that you need to kill off, then the chelated copper will take care of that. Spreading chemicals on the ice surface is the safest way to get treatment to the center of the pond. Just be careful that the ice will be thick enough to support your weight. If in doubt, tie a rope around your waist and tie the other end to the tractor. If you fall in just pull yourself out using the rope. If you have a helper, they can pull you out by tieing the rope to the back of the tractor. They just need to be careful to stop once you are out.
Maybe a chore for the wife.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I have a pond (1/2 acre of water) that has green algae. Pond was built 45 years ago and this is the first year I am seeing the algae. The algae does not cover the entire surface but appears in blobs. Our county dept. of conservation recommend treating with chelated copper but I am having problems figuring how and how much to apply. Any suggestions ? Thanks.
I would add some aeration or a fountain.....
also some plants..... water lettuce/ lilys etc,

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Like @John T said, I’d try some aeration, but probably wouldn’t worry about it this season as @DustyRusty suggested.

Try it next season…..

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Most times the algae is caused by excess nutrients in the water. Getting the decaying matter off the bottom of the pond will help to curb these nutrients and that is where the lime will come into play. It will help to break down these nutrients and raise the waters PH. The one thing that I didn't recommend is that he stock the pond with some goldfish from the local pet shop, and that is because if he is to use the copper treatment it will kill all the fish. For me using copper is a last resort to resolving the problem. The fish will eat the vegetation at the bottom of the pond and help to complete the ecological cycle to a healthy pond next year.